Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stefanwa

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Hi!

Maybe one of you could help me out in setting up a basic video projection with my MacBook and an older LCD 720 16:9 projector...

I want to make a video projection of moving clouds in the illustrated shape of a cloud. Just on a plain white wall. I don't want the square 16:9 light be seen around my "video object". I have made some quick images to demonstrate what I want to do...

pm_wanted.jpg

This is how it should look. The wall is grey in this example.

It should not look like this:
pm_white.jpg

or this:
pm_black.jpg

I hope I made it clear. Maybe I'm just not getting it, but do I need some projection mapping software for this? If I need it, what would be a simple solution (preferable free)?

Thanks for suggestions!
Steve

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
VPT is the only free projection mapping software I know of for OSX. VVVV is also free, but PC only. I use MadMapper, but that is paid software. You can also write your own masks/deforms in Processing, which is a free programming language.

This is a really simple mask. You may want to try types of optical masking first if you really want to shut the projector down in the non-image areas... try a cardboard mask or taping off the lens. Even with projection mapping software, you will get light bleed on your non-image areas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.