Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
This product and its cousins explain Apple's extreme focus on miniaturization and thinness. Two iPhone generations from now (6S) the processor, display, and battery tech will be sufficiently advanced to also make an iWatch, iPocket Watch, or iPendant practical. Some form of in ear bonefone mic and speaker is likely to be important to the project. With a watch on your wrist you can speak into it and even hear audio, but by then HD audio and noise cancellation will be an expectation, which is why a bonefone or in ear device is more likely. Another optional interface may be a glasses frame system. Hence Google's focus on that layer. It will certainly be LTE data only.

Rocketman

Illusion986

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
There are a lot of watch or iWatch haters on here...but I have used pebble for a week or so now and I have to say it has a lot of potential and usefulness if done right. Pebble in particular has a lot of kinks to work out besides design but when and if iWatch comes out I will be very interested specially second generation after their own kinks are worked out. Just a note thou don't waste money on pebble it feels like a prototype not a finished product yet.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Let's see...Bloomberg reported Bob Mansfield was leading the "iWatch" project, the Verge said it was Jony Ive, now the speculation is it's Kevin Lynch. Is there anyone at Apple not rumored to be working on this rumored device? :p

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
While MacGeneration does not know for certain what project the group is working on, the site speculates that ...

iPod Mega?

1 TB Fusion Drive
4 headphone jacks
Built-in stereo speakers
1000 hour battery life (headphones)
100 hour battery life (speakers)
Same 5" screen as iPhone 5
Same width and height as iPod touch, but 3" thick

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I watch in anticipation for the possible iWatch, the Swatch of the new millennium ;)

Attachments

• r-IWATCH-APPLE-large570.jpg
    r-IWATCH-APPLE-large570.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 85

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Because it says what he's working on.

"the site speculates that Lynch's team may be applying its iPod expertise to Apple's rumored smart watch effort."

This is not a rumor.

I speculate that he will be working on the new and improved iTouch.

so....is this now a rumor?

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Oh no! An executive actually publicly promoting the products his company makes! STOP THE PRESSES!!!!

Said executive, who actually publicly promoted Mobile Flash in that video (how did that work out again?), clearly lacked the prescience and vision he claims to have had. So how, exactly, does that qualify him to work on the other side of the fence?

It's one thing to have been a buggy whip salesman, it's quite another to be on record as saying the horse and buggy was the future of transportation.

Boomchukalaka

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
Has anyone else wondered how there hasn't been a leaked photo from a supplier of a screen, or watchcase, or band??...zip, nada. Part of me thinks this iWatch thing is a rumor planted by Apple to get competitors to spend cash R&Ding this project, while they are working on what "the next really big thing" is...and part of me seems to think that I can't recall any leaks of photos of the original iPod, iPhone or iPad before launch so yeah...maybe it is real?

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
Has anyone else wondered how there hasn't been a leaked photo from a supplier of a screen, or watchcase, or band??...zip, nada. Part of me thinks this iWatch thing is a rumor planted by Apple to get competitors to spend cash R&Ding this project, while they are working on what "the next really big thing" is...and part of me seems to think that I can't recall any leaks of photos of the original iPod, iPhone or iPad before launch so yeah...maybe it is real?
Except they never said anything about an iWatch. That was pure media speculation. They just never bothered to deny it.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Idk how old this photograph is, but I'm loving the original iPhone used in it. I used mine for 4 years... still my favorite iPhone ever.

4 years? I sure hope you're not still making payments for it to your phone carrier. Biggest ripoff in the land, continuing to make users pay for a phone that's already paid for in full.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
"the site speculates that Lynch's team may be applying its iPod expertise to Apple's rumored smart watch effort."

This is not a rumor.

I speculate that he will be working on the new and improved iTouch.

so....is this now a rumor?

Nothing had pegged him to be working with iPod engineers before this article. It's a reasonable leap to say that by working with engineers specializing with portable electronics, he might be working on new portable electronics. Which may include the much rumored portable electronic watch. It's a rumor. It's a new rumor. It's a reasonable rumor. Deal with it.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Flash in its time was pretty awesome.

As for the 'Flash is awesome' he was paid to say it, no matter what he personally thought. Apple understood this, top bed fans don't

what is a top bed fan?

and who or what are you implying im a top bed fan of?

i was rather referring to the stance adobe took when everyone and their dog saw what on the horizon. most would call that being caught flat footed and that is not a quality you seek

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
100 designers to work on a watch?
Is this a joke?
It's got a face, a back, a tiny PCB and a strap. :confused:

Seriously, 100 designers to work on that.
No wonder they can't get a new Mac Pro out.
That would take like a million engineers.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Nothing had pegged him to be working with iPod engineers before this article. It's a reasonable leap to say that by working with engineers specializing with portable electronics, he might be working on new portable electronics. Which may include the much rumored portable electronic watch. It's a rumor. It's a new rumor. It's a reasonable rumor. Deal with it.

Wow...this must really be important to you.

You convinced yourself that something completely made up without a shred of proof is 'reasonable'.

whatever floats your boat.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Wow...this must really be important to you.

You convinced yourself that something completely made up without a shred of proof is 'reasonable'.

whatever floats your boat.

It's not that important to me, I was just trying to help you understand something you didn't seem to comprehend.

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
just make sure its cool

and am sure everyone else are gonna wait for the iwatch to come out first before they designs theirs............ u know who ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.