Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
I remember when Seiko released a pager watch. One of my all time favorite watches...

Second to that awesome tv remote control watch. Now that was a piece of technology.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
My watch tells the time and date, just another device to create a need that doesn't [yet] exist.

God I miss the RAZR days with T9 text and people actually made phone calls to get together in person. Now, it's "Angry Birds [insert name]", Facebook, Instagram, texting and no one calls.

In fact, I've been on here for years, and yet, I don't really know any of you. :p

----------

One thing I really dislike about the people on this forum is that before there was any murmur about the "iWatch" we had threads like this https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1359792/.

Post iWatch rumours and we have complaints that only our savior Apple can fix.
Kinda embarrassing to see.

I miss threads such as these:

Leopard iChat Answering Machine

ZFS in Snow Leopard CLIENT is confirmed!

You know, OS X MAC related news, before iOS and iDevices dominated the consumer market and MacRumors had more confirmed news on OS X beta development, new systems, displays, desktops, and less analyst speculation and images of rumored new iPhone parts.

Not that I dislike it, I just wish there was more OS X Mac news in MacRumors.

ianwuk

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
I am still waiting for mine to arrive. I preordered it last May and it is fully paid for. Hopefully I will get it by May.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Can't relate? I could see how someone would rather take the split second to look at their wrist for some info rather than taking their phone out of their pocket...

You could make the same argument about people that wear normal watches.. I don't wear one, but I do understand why people like them.

To me it's the same as having a weather widget on your phone. It's redundant. You have an app that can tell you much more about what the weather is going to be like for that day. 99.9% of people don't need to check the weather every 5 minutes. Weather alerts, now that's different I guess. But that falls in line with notifications, not what the current weather is going to be.

As far as real watches go. It's much more convenient to take a quick glance at my watch to see what time it is. It's something a device that stays ony side or pocket can never replace.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
How can you possibly improve on perfection?

FZ7CIXHH0OJ15LR.LARGE.jpg

PeterKG

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
What an ugly piece of poop a Pebble watch is. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing that. Why is a cheap watch the next big thing? Big fail IMO, even if a bunch of nerds bought one of these in a Kickstarter.

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
What an ugly piece of poop a Pebble watch is. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing that. Why is a cheap watch the next big thing? Big fail IMO, even if a bunch of nerds bought one of these in a Kickstarter.

Why is Glee such a big hit? A musical? In prime time? Who would watch such a thing? Big fail in IMO.

NightCastle

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
Pebble and beyond...

...I can see it now.

<cue cheesy fade in music/>

First, the Pebble came out...
...Next Apple creates the iWatch
it has a great new color screen that is way more colorful than the Pebble's
but the battery drains quickly
...Then Google comes out with the Gwatch
it has a larger color screen and is somehow less quality, but because it has a bigger screen and a faster processor, the Android fanatics swoon over it as WAY BETTER than the iWatch
...Rinse and repeat every few months as countless other manufacturers release their iterations of the same watch. These have ever increasing screen sizes and faster, more robust specs
...Then another watch is made by MS that has a snappy new block interface with a detachable keyboard and...
...After all is said and done we will be wearing our 5 inch screens on our wrists because a typical watch face is too small and the size of the cases were too small for batteries with any decent life to them.

<cue cheesy fade out music/>

Mark my words. ;)

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I prefer the brazelet that glows when according to the notification you get, will be great at home :) were i dont carry my phone around.

The price is too steep for this watch.

Gibbyice

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Scotland, U.K
Pebble Rough around the edges

I still cant get over how ugly the pebble watch is in comparison to the previous generation ipod nano. I certainly would never buy one in fact since I bought my new macbook I've stopped wearing a watch incase it scratched the casing where my palms rest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.