Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crisg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
I pre-ordered 2 iphone 5's friday 4/5/2013 but had a credit card issue -- had to re-order them 4/10/2013. They transferred my cancelled order over and shipped my phone 4/11/2013 -- and I received it 24 hours later 4/12. The service was immediate and so was the carrier update.

Straight talk was taking their time porting my phone number over, so they called them with me on the line -- and within 3 minutes I had my phone number ported over.

I'm getting full bars & about HSPA+ 15 mbps at home in San Diego, CA -- where I used to get no more than 2-3 bars with AT&T/simple talk and no more than 2-3 mbps.

In short, I'm extremely happy with my switch back to t-mobile, as I had them 4 years ago with my blackberry. If you have any doubts about their network in SoCal, worry no more!

Droidrage729

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
Awesome I'm switching from Verizon to t mobile my wife's Tmo iPhone arrives this week with my sim for my iPhone (I already have one).

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Im about to switch my Verizon lines over to Tmobile as well. Just waiting to get the phones. Ready to have unlimited data again on the iPhone as well as simultaneous talk+surf.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Add me as another person moving from VZW to T-Mo.
I would too....but the ETF fees on top of buying new phones would be ginormous....I could get some of that back when I sell my 2 VZW iPhone 5 but still.....

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
With 2G speeds in my area, don't think I will be considering T-Mobile for the next 2 to 3 years.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
That's great that Tmobile is a reliable network in your area. Let's hope that you won't run into any issues while driving up north.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Im about to switch my Verizon lines over to Tmobile as well. Just waiting to get the phones. Ready to have unlimited data again on the iPhone as well as simultaneous talk+surf.

If you don't mind answering, how much is your monthly plan going to be? I have an iPhone 5 for Verizon and just wondering how much less it would be to get t mobile and have the unlimited data again.

iTouch

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
A little rude don't you think? There are a lot of places still on T-mobile's EDGE/2G speed. I'm usually between the Los Angeles-Inland Empire area, and I've definitely experienced it.

Noticed that there are places here and there that are EDGE speeds in the Los Angeles, Sherman Oaks etc. I get anywhere from 2 to 12Mbps. But for the most part it stays 4G. Now if I could just get my tethering back.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
t-mobile's gotten a lot better in my area in the last few years; it made switching possible. i miss verizon lte, but not enough to pay the extra $50 every month.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
A little rude don't you think? There are a lot of places still on T-mobile's EDGE/2G speed. I'm usually between the Los Angeles-Inland Empire area, and I've definitely experienced it.

This is my location too and really wanted to get more info on coverage in Riverside-Corona/San Bernardino on through the freeways leading into LA and the OC, then on down to San Diego. Are you saying those spots and on the road, there's still quite a bit of EDGE only!

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
For those complaining about network coverage, keep in mind that T-Mo is ACTIVELY refarming their network. A lot of current EDGE coverage will get upgraded, just need to give it time.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
If you don't mind answering, how much is your monthly plan going to be? I have an iPhone 5 for Verizon and just wondering how much less it would be to get t mobile and have the unlimited data again.

Depends on how many lines you're bringing over.

I have 5 lines on Verizon (3 iPhone 5, 1 iPhone 4S, 1 iPhone 4), Share Everything with 8GB of data which comes out to about $285 per month after taxes/fees and my 20% discount.

With T-Mobile I'm going to have unlimited data on 2 lines, 2.5GB on 1 line and 500MB on the other 2. Plus I'm going to be financing 3 iPhone 5's from T-Mobile for $20 per month so the bill will be around $227 after taxes/fees ($205 after 15% discount).

I also plan on selling the 3 iPhone 5s on Verizon to cover the $99 down for the phones from T-Mobile, maybe even just use it towards buying the whole T-Mobile iPhone 5 outright.

If you have just one line though, factoring in the $20 per month for the iPhone 5 your bill would be around $90 before tax for unlimited data on T-Mobile.

JFerrari

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
There are several things I would consider before switching.

1. Obviously network coverage in your area.

2. Do you do any traveling besides point A to point B? If so, you will likely find T-mobile has very spotty data/voice coverage outside of populated areas. Expect edge speeds on highways.

3. How much will you save per month? Does that amount outweigh any frustration you may experience in comparison to rock solid LTE on Verizon?

4. T-mobile is a bad value if you decide to upgrade your phone every year. Here's why: the plan will only pay off if you keep the same phone for over 2 years, if you pay the full price subsidy for your phone every one year, it's a complete wash in terms of money saved by switching.

I really considered switching from Verizon to T-mobile to save about $50/mo. After being realistic with myself and actually doing the math, it was a total wash, based upon upgrading my phone every year. Even if you upgrade every two years, the year that you upgrade is a wash.

Also keep in mind your sanity. Is it worth saving the money if your getting dropped/missed calls/spotty service/poor data speeds?? T-mobile has a lot to prove still.

Docba

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I just switched from Sprint to T-mobile and I am very happy so far. I'm lucky enough to be in Kansas City and both Sprint and T-mobile have LTE here. I found sprint to be pretty fast when on LTE but when you hit a 3G area (which is often) it is essentially unusable. T mobile so far has quite fast 4g back up which is still in the 10 mb down and 5 up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 199

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Depends on how many lines you're bringing over.

I have 5 lines on Verizon (3 iPhone 5, 1 iPhone 4S, 1 iPhone 4), Share Everything with 8GB of data which comes out to about $285 per month after taxes/fees and my 20% discount.

With T-Mobile I'm going to have unlimited data on 2 lines, 2.5GB on 1 line and 500MB on the other 2. Plus I'm going to be financing 3 iPhone 5's from T-Mobile for $20 per month so the bill will be around $227 after taxes/fees ($205 after 15% discount).

I also plan on selling the 3 iPhone 5s on Verizon to cover the $99 down for the phones from T-Mobile, maybe even just use it towards buying the whole T-Mobile iPhone 5 outright.

If you have just one line though, factoring in the $20 per month for the iPhone 5 your bill would be around $90 before tax for unlimited data on T-Mobile.
Thanks for the detailed info.

EstaVidaLoca

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
I live in a city of 200,000 where Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, and T-mobile all provide service. Have LTE with Verizon, 3G with Sprint and AT&T and then there is lousy T-Mobile still stuck with 2G.

I don't believe T-mobile offers service in a city that large and they don't have any 3G coverage at all.

Christian 5G

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2010
Orange County, CA
I pre-ordered 2 iphone 5's friday 4/5/2013 but had a credit card issue -- had to re-order them 4/10/2013. They transferred my cancelled order over and shipped my phone 4/11/2013 -- and I received it 24 hours later 4/12. The service was immediate and so was the carrier update.

Straight talk was taking their time porting my phone number over, so they called them with me on the line -- and within 3 minutes I had my phone number ported over.

I'm getting full bars & about HSPA+ 15 mbps at home in San Diego, CA -- where I used to get no more than 2-3 bars with AT&T/simple talk and no more than 2-3 mbps.

In short, I'm extremely happy with my switch back to t-mobile, as I had them 4 years ago with my blackberry. If you have any doubts about their network in SoCal, worry no more!

Awesome, hopefully in OC it works great, I'm switching soon too.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I live in a city of 200,000 where Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, and T-mobile all provide service. Have LTE with Verizon, 3G with Sprint and AT&T and then there is lousy T-Mobile still stuck with 2G.

What city is that? Hardly believe there is a city of 200,000 on 2G.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.