Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guppy5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2013
Hi,

I have bought Age of Empires II HD Edition in Steam, which I run in VMware Fusion. I have the latest patch for VMware Fusion. Whenever I try to run the game I get to the initial screen where I click 'Play' and then I get the error: Could not initialise graphics system. Make sure that your video card and driver are compatible with DirectDraw.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Yeah, it's using DX 10. It runs fine with Parallels 8. Just downloaded the demo P8 to see.

I think you are mistaken about this game requiring DX10. Here are the system requirements from the Steam Store page:

System Requirements
Minimum:

Processor: 1.2GHZ CPU
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics: Direct X 9.0c Capable GPU
DirectX®: 9.0c
Hard Drive: 2 GB HD space

It clearly indicates Direct X 9.0c and makes no mention of Direct X 10.

I am glad to hear it runs fine on Parallels though as that is what I use myself.

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
I think you are mistaken about this game requiring DX10. Here are the system requirements from the Steam Store page:

System Requirements
Minimum:

Processor: 1.2GHZ CPU
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics: Direct X 9.0c Capable GPU
DirectX®: 9.0c
Hard Drive: 2 GB HD space

It clearly indicates Direct X 9.0c and makes no mention of Direct X 10.

I am glad to hear it runs fine on Parallels though as that is what I use myself.
I may have just worded that wrong. I was basically saying that Parallels does use DX10.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.