Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
I bought my phone yesterday for full price up front.

I spoke to three separate reps yesterday and got three different answers. One even said that I had to contact AppleCare and they would know by my IMEI that I had fully paid for the phone. This didn't sound at all right and the very nice AppleCare rep that I contacted told me that it wasn't! :confused:

So finally I found a rep that would submit the unlock request for me and I got this back by email today.

Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. We have received your SIM Unlock Request. Unfortunately, we are unable to process your request at this time. The account must meet the following criteria:

1. 60 days of active usage.
2. Must have $50.00 accumulative refill since activation.

Please submit a new SIM Unlock Request once the subscriber has met the Eligibility criteria.

I don't think that's true either....Someone on here mentioned that there was a form to FAX with proof of purchase to get the phone unlocked. Anyone know where to get that form and where to fax it?

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Tmobile is charging $579 for a $650 iPhone 5.

Think about it. Even though its no contract. They want to make up a little bit of money by making u stay at least 30 days.

Or else. Everyone who pay the $579 and get it unlocked and just take the phone back to att. And save themselves about $80 of retail.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
But I was told directly by the manager at the Tmobile shop where I bought the phone that it could be immediately unlocked. I'm not looking to take it to another carrier, but I do travel internationally for work and would like to be able to use a local SIM Card.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
But I was told directly by the manager at the Tmobile shop where I bought the phone that it could be immediately unlocked. I'm not looking to take it to another carrier, but I do travel internationally for work and would like to be able to use a local SIM Card.

Unlock it in eBay.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!

ask them after 60days, they should do it, if you needed now, you could have gone with apple store unlocked model...

Izaiah

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2013
FL
I spoke with a T-Mobile rep, as well, and they said the iPhone doesn't have the 60 day waiting period like the other phones. The rep pasted a form(see below) to put on the cover letter of a fax and told me to fax over a copy of my receipt to the unlock people at T-Mobile.

!Freyalyn A: You must fax a readable copy of the sales receipt, showing they paid full retail price for the device at a T-Mobile retail store or authorized T-Mobile retailer. Fax no. 1-813-353-6557. Hours of Operation
7 days a week: 5:45 AM – 2:15 PM (MST)
!Freyalyn A: On the fax cover sheet, provide the following information:
ATTN: SIM Unlock Team
Remedy Form: [number]
Full name
Mobile phone number
Alternate contact phone number (optional)
Email address (optional)
!Freyalyn A: I will provide you the remedy no. once I file the request. (<-She gave me a number, so maybe you need to contact customer care first?)

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Have you tried to use the iPhone with AT&T sim card?

Have you tried to backup with iTunes, and restore? You should see "unlocked" screen if your iPhone is unlocked.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
I spoke with a T-Mobile rep, as well, and they said the iPhone doesn't have the 60 day waiting period like the other phones. The rep pasted a form(see below) to put on the cover letter of a fax and told me to fax over a copy of my receipt to the unlock people at T-Mobile.

!Freyalyn A: You must fax a readable copy of the sales receipt, showing they paid full retail price for the device at a T-Mobile retail store or authorized T-Mobile retailer. Fax no. 1-813-353-6557. Hours of Operation
7 days a week: 5:45 AM – 2:15 PM (MST)
!Freyalyn A: On the fax cover sheet, provide the following information:
ATTN: SIM Unlock Team
Remedy Form: [number]
Full name
Mobile phone number
Alternate contact phone number (optional)
Email address (optional)
!Freyalyn A: I will provide you the remedy no. once I file the request. (<-She gave me a number, so maybe you need to contact customer care first?)

So you did this over an online chat? Maybe I'll give that I try. I was also specifically told when I purchased the phone that there was no waiting period to process the unlock. So I did ask the right questions of the right people. It just seems that no two people at T-mobile know the same story. I'm leaving for a business trip to Mexico for two weeks tomorrow, so it would have been nice to have had this done before leaving in the morning, but oh well.

I'm not going to do a third party unlock and I don't feel I should just have to settle for waiting 60 days....especially when I've already been a customer for 5 months.

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
So you did this over an online chat? Maybe I'll give that I try. I was also specifically told when I purchased the phone that there was no waiting period to process the unlock. So I did ask the right questions of the right people. It just seems that no two people at T-mobile know the same story. I'm leaving for a business trip to Mexico for two weeks tomorrow, so it would have been nice to have had this done before leaving in the morning, but oh well.

I'm not going to do a third party unlock and I don't feel I should just have to settle for waiting 60 days....especially when I've already been a customer for 5 months.

Hmmmm I chatted with tmobile on their site and I didn't need to fax anything (Yet). They told me I didn't need to and they can process the request by the imei number? They know if it was purchased full price simply by the imei number?

I contacted them again hours later to make sure that I received the correct info and I did. So time can only tell. I'll update this once I get an email from them.

Akack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2011
USA
Hmmmm I chatted with tmobile on their site and I didn't need to fax anything (Yet). They told me I didn't need to and they can process the request by the imei number? They know if it was purchased full price simply by the imei number?

I contacted them again hours later to make sure that I received the correct info and I did. So time can only tell. I'll update this once I get an email from them.

Same thing. I purchased the phone outright from TMobile last Friday and just called CSR and all they needed was the IMEI and the rep said it would take about 2 weeks to unlock it. Will update once I get confirmation email.

onecoolazzgeek

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2010
My Experience Unlocking:

%Gerald C: May I know when did you purchase the iPhone 5?
David: I purchased it on the 12th at the Apple Store @ Willowbend Mall in Plano, TX
%Gerald C: I see. Is this for line 2603?
David: yes
%Gerald C: Thank you.
%Gerald C: May I know the reason why you want to unlock the phone?
David: I just wanted to make sure it was unlocked by official means, which is why I bought it outright. This is just a pre-emptive measure in case I sell it.
%Gerald C: I see. No problem with that.
%Gerald C: Can you provide me with the IMEI number of the phone please? To get the IMEI, please press Star, Pound, Zero, Six, Pound (*#06#) then Send on the phone.
David Jones: (Gave him my IMEI)
%Gerald C: Thank you for that information.
David Jones: no prob
%Gerald C: Thank you.
%Gerald C: While processing, please note that code requests may take up to 14 days.
David Jones: OK, not a problem. I got a heads up from the forums lol
%Gerald C: Alright then, let me just process your request.
David Jones: cool
%Gerald C: May I please have a good call back number?
%Gerald C: And a valid email address as well.
David Jones: That's not my cell? or is my cell fine?
%Gerald C: Your cell is fine.
David Jones: (My Email)
%Gerald C: Is this the 2603?
David Jones: (My Cell Number)
David Jones: yes
%Gerald C: Thank you for that information.
David Jones: no problem
%Gerald C: One moment please.
David Jones: ok
%Gerald C: Okay, David. Here is your Unlock Request #(redacted).
%Gerald C: Please note that T-Mobile SIM Unlock Team will email you when the request is completed, denied, or delayed. An email with the SIM unlock code and instructions for unlocking the device will also be sent.
David Jones: Awesome, I was just about to ask about that
%Gerald C: Again, this may take up to 14 days. Please check your spam since your email may block our email message to you.
%Gerald C: Have I answered all your queries for today?

Easy day. Had no issues and he gave me no flack for wanting to get it done. Didn't even ask for a receipt.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
I have been with T-mobile for a decade now. I have never had a problem getting phones under contract unlocked. i think this time around they are being cautious, should some genious start buying up in bulk with the built in $70 discount, unlocking it, and then selling it for a profit overseas.

Fdfan100

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2013
I have been with T-mobile for a decade now. I have never had a problem getting phones under contract unlocked. i think this time around they are being cautious, should some genious start buying up in bulk with the built in $70 discount, unlocking it, and then selling it for a profit overseas.

Even if someone were to consider such a move, no retail store will allow anyone to purchase outright without avoiding purchasing $50 prepaid plan. So with that to considered, the savings with T-Mobile vs Apple is now $20.

On to the unlocking issue with T-Mobile, I tried unlocking my phone since Friday. On my first 2 request, got the same message as the OP. Called back T-Mobile to stress that I paid full retail price, then the rep did a different type of unlock request, then requested me to fax the cover sheet info listed above. I've sent it now, now waiting to see what happens. T-Mobile also updated their unlock policy.

Devices with Postpaid Plans

If you have a Postpaid Plan on an eligible device, T-Mobile will provide the SIM unlock code upon request as long as:

Your T-Mobile account is in good standing;
You have a minimum of 40 consecutive days of active service with T-Mobile;
You did not request an unlock code in the last 90 days (except in connection with a device exchange or upgrade);
The device has not been reported as lost or stolen;
T-Mobile has verified usage of the IMEI applicable to the device; and
The device has been completely paid for.
Exception: Classic plan devices must exceed 18 months since activation.

Devices with Prepaid Plans or Pay In Advance

If you have a Prepaid Plan or Pay In Advance on an eligible device:

T-Mobile will provide the SIM unlock code upon request as long as:
Your T-Mobile account is in good standing;
You have a minimum of 60 consecutive days of active service with T-Mobile;
You have either an account balance of at least $50.00 or a prior refill within the last 30 days;
The device has not been reported as lost or stolen;
T-Mobile has verified usage of the IMEI applicable to the device; and
Unless purchased at a T-Mobile-branded store or from a T-Mobile national retailer, for up to 180 days after activation, devices will only work on the T-Mobile network with the SIMs included at activation.

Devices Purchased at Full Retail Price

If you paid full retail price for an eligible device:

T-Mobile will provide the SIM unlock code as long as:
Your T-Mobile account is in good standing; and
The device has been completely paid for (you must fax the proof of purchase to T-Mobile).
If you have a Prepaid Plan or Pay In Advance, unless purchased at a T-Mobile-branded store or from a T-Mobile national retailer, for up to 180 days after activation, devices will only work on the T-Mobile network with the SIMs included at activation.

Former Customers

T-Mobile will provide the SIM Unlock Code upon request to former customers with eligible devices as long as:

Your T-Mobile account is in good standing
T-Mobile has such code or can obtain it from the manufacturer;
You have not ported any associated line within T-Mobile’s Buyer’s Remorse period; and

Military Personnel: Following the applicable T-Mobile Buyer’s Remorse period, T-Mobile will unlock any device for any active or deployed member of the United States military as set forth above, except that the minimum number of days of active service is not required.

Source Tmonews
http://www.tmonews.com/2013/04/ask-tmonews-what-is-t-mobiles-new-device-unlock-policy/

Last edited:

Akack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2011
USA
Below is the email I just received from T Mobile: I called CSR Monday morning around 9 am CST......guess will wait 72 hours until I test it....

FYI, I purchased my phone full price and switched to the Simple Choice Plans, but have been a continuous customer of T Mobile since the Voicestream days.

==================================================

T-Mobile Sim Unlock Request
Sim Unlock Reference:
IMEI:
Unlock Code:

Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. Please be advised that T-Mobile can only unlock the T-Mobile branded iphone. If your request is for a non T-Mobile iphone the below instructions will not work. You will need to contact the Carrier that the device is from for assistance.

72 hours after receiving this email please follow the below instructions for unlocking your T-Mobile iPhone device.
1. Perform a backup (we suggest backing up through iCloud backup, however iTunes backup will work if you haven't setup iCloud)
2. Connect your iPhone to iTunes
o Important: This step must be performed using the USB cable connected to your PC or Mac in order to trigger the process.
3. Within a few minutes, a screen will appear, "Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked".
4. The device is now unlocked. You may now insert any non T-Mobile SIM card into the iPhone.
If the above steps do not work, then the 'restore device' process must be completed and an iTunes activation completed. In the re-activation of the device, the device unlock will be pulled down once activation is complete.

Thank You,

Sim Unlock Department
T-Mobile USA, Inc.

Fdfan100

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2013
Below is the email I just received from T Mobile: I called CSR Monday morning around 9 am CST......guess will wait 72 hours until I test it....

FYI, I purchased my phone full price and switched to the Simple Choice Plans, but have been a continuous customer of T Mobile since the Voicestream days.

Nice, i think the problem with the customer care at the moment is that all the reps are not informed with the current unlock policy. Which is why we are all getting different message from CSR. By looking up the phone IMEI, it's a lot easier since they can see if the device is paid off. I didn't mind faxing them, but would save me the trouble if they looked up my IMEI like they did with you. But then again I'm a prepaid customer, so things might be handled differently compared with a postpaid.

Akack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2011
USA
Just plugged iPhone 5 into iTunes and got the "Congrats, you iPhone is unlocked."

Again I bought my 5 from T Mobile outright, called CSR Monday and they emailed back later that day, and got the unlock message today when I plugged into iTunes.

Izaiah

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2013
FL
I got an email after my last post saying I couldn't unlock my phone because it wasn't paid off(again, I paid for it in full on the 12th). I went ahead and faxed T-Mobile my receipt yesterday. If I don't hear anything by tomorrow I'll probably call customer care because it seems it's a crapshoot as far as getting someone who knows that they're doing.

fronesis

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2012
Any updates and the easiest way to get Tmobile to unlock an iPhone that a customer paid full price for?

Is it easier to call CSR, to FAX the sim unlock team form, or to use chat?

Last edited:

johnsonroda27

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
i just got the same email but I noticed the IMEI number that was in the email, the very last digit was different than the IMEI number that I see on my phone.. did you notice this with yours? the last digit is a 0 on the email and a 6 on my phone..

==================================================

T-Mobile Sim Unlock Request
Sim Unlock Reference:
IMEI:
Unlock Code:

Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. Please be advised that T-Mobile can only unlock the T-Mobile branded iphone. If your request is for a non T-Mobile iphone the below instructions will not work. You will need to contact the Carrier that the device is from for assistance.

72 hours after receiving this email please follow the below instructions for unlocking your T-Mobile iPhone device.
1. Perform a backup (we suggest backing up through iCloud backup, however iTunes backup will work if you haven't setup iCloud)
2. Connect your iPhone to iTunes
o Important: This step must be performed using the USB cable connected to your PC or Mac in order to trigger the process.
3. Within a few minutes, a screen will appear, "Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked".
4. The device is now unlocked. You may now insert any non T-Mobile SIM card into the iPhone.
If the above steps do not work, then the 'restore device' process must be completed and an iTunes activation completed. In the re-activation of the device, the device unlock will be pulled down once activation is complete.

Thank You,

Sim Unlock Department
T-Mobile USA, Inc.

luzxkm

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2013
I do travel internationally for work and would like to be able to use a local SIM Card.
5d1.jpg

Izaiah

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2013
FL
Anyone who purchased their iPhone(in full) on 04/12 can submit an unlock request now! I called yesterday and received my email today.

IMG_0555.png

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York

Got my unlocked a week later:cool:

Stewie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
Austin
Anyone who purchased their iPhone(in full) on 04/12 can submit an unlock request now! I called yesterday and received my email today.

Were you able to unlock after receiving the email? I called on Tuesday, got my email on Wednesdy, but still not able to get the unlock. Curious as to how long it is taking for others.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.