Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
Is it me or does the hype for iPhone 5 seem muted compared to previous releases? While most would agree that this is an incremental upgrade, the new A6 processor is most welcome. Ives, on the other hand, really phoned it in this time. (Pun intended)

What we're waiting for is a fresh new design. Some have speculated Apple will be making use of their "liquid metal" technology to produce something curved like a 3G. Personally I find that model much more pleasant to hold.

I'm looking forward to being amazed all over again by the iPhone 6. :)

Is it me or does the hype for iPhone 429 seem muted compared to previous releases? While most would agree that this is an incremental upgrade, the new A429 processor is most welcome. Ives, on the other hand, really phoned it in this time. (Pun intended)

What we're waiting for is a fresh new design. Some have speculated Apple will be making use of their "liquid metal" technology to produce something curved like a 3G. Personally I find that model much more pleasant to hold.

I'm looking forward to being amazed all over again by the iPhone 430. :)

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Every single year since the original iphone was released, i jailbroke/unlocked and sold my old phone on ebay for more than the new one cost. I'm doing the same this year. I don't understand why anyone would ever wait, when money can actually be made by upgrading?

I wonder the same thing. Just sole 3 iphone 4's for over $290 each on Ebay. AFter the fees of about 12% I still netted $255 and these were not 4S's, but they were 2 year old 4's.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
If you're waiting for the iPhone 6 that will likely be in 2014 if they continue with the 5S next year :eek:!

That being said, I want a 5 so badly, but can't justify the price. So I'm keeping my 4S until at least the 2013 iPhone.

Though, depending on the new iPod touch internals (ram etc) I may pick one of those up and then try to make my 4S last until 2014. After iOS6 it seems to be faster than it used to!

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
You seem to be stuttering with your list of improvements so let me consolidate that for you.

Size: Form Factor. Thinner. Worlds Thinnest. Large Screen. Aspect Ratio.
LTE: LTE support is major

So essentially its a new Size with LTE (I wont even count the digital connector since there are more drawbacks than benefits). While that may be huge for some people, claiming this is "the biggest update since the original" only shows how small their steps have been in a market that they pioneered. (Im not saying thats a bad thing. Im just saying that "incremental" is more accurate than "major update")

Ok. What would you do? Liquid metal?

That's not innovative, only what I say is innovative is innnovative...

See, you can't say something isn't innovative when it clearly is and you just say its not. It may not live up to your expectations, but frankly, nothing ever will.

Maybe the iPhone 17? But that will likely be "incremental" anyway.

Innovation is subjective, but only to a point. The 5 is essentially all new (OS included, even If that's the most incremental part.

99% of non-android, non-iPhone users would say its innovative. The unhappy fanboys will always say its either crap or not great enough. It is what it is.

Enjoy what you have available now. The 5 is superior to the 4S in almost every way.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
Not mainstream useful
Yes, there are some people who are using it and taking advantage of it
But it is not seen as useful to the guy on the street, Apple's target audience
Until it IS seen as useful, there is no reason for Apple to add it
Apple isn't in the habit of adding costly features that impact design, battery, etc. to fulfill the wishes of the small minority
When NFC becomes a significant force, they will likely add it

IIRC Ihnatko came to pretty much the same conclusion, NFC has a lot of neat uses, but for the most part they are features only geeks will ever take advantage of.

Beenblacklisted

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
Miami,Fl
The next phone will not be the 5s and here is why.

the "s" in the iphone 4s stands for Speed.

And the next iphone will not get a speed upgrade because 4g is going to "LTE"

LTE stands for LONG TERM EVOLUTION.

Long Term...

That means they are going to be using 4g lte for awhile.

So we will NOT get a speed upgrade on the next Iphone.

Hence they will not call it the 5s

The 4s got a speed upgrade over the 4.

It got 4g over 3g

The Iphone 5 is getting a speed upgrade over the 4s

Its called 4g LTE

4g and 4g LTE are not the same, 4g LTE is Faster.

There wont be a 5s because there wont be a new upgrade to 4g LTE

Its LONG TERM EVOLUTION.

There wont be a 5s

Hahahahahahah the "S" is for speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed.

The "S" is a way to brand the new item with small upgrades, and to seperate from previous model. All major companies do this, simply add a single letter or character to differentiate between two models, and keep same generic model name.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
If you currently have the iPhone 5, there is zero reason to get the upcoming 5S this July. You will still get the brand new iOS7 on your 5, and the shape and size of the two phones will be near identical.

I'd just get the Galaxy S4 or Nexus-Five, if you want a true upgrade. Or wait for the true next gen iPhone, in the iPhone 6 coming next year.

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
A recent article about the iPhone 6 (specs, screen technology...)
http://gdeluxe.com/iphone-6-smaller-unibody-with-4-5-inch-display/
iPhone 6: Smaller Unibody With 4.5-inch Display!

iphone-6-iphone-5.jpg

Last edited:

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC

Nice mock up, but I doubt they will be ditching the home button any time soon. Especially because of the phone looking like a Sammy GS2 without it...lol

I kind of like the current design, however some things I'd like to see changed is maybe a true 4.3 inch display, a sharper 13megapixel shooter, and without a doubt better materials used when building the phone to avoid the scratches and scuffs that are a genuine problem on the i5.

I think the 5S is a waste of time if you ask me, especially if it looks just like the 5 and maybe just has some tiny bumps under the hood that really won't make earth shattering differences. With the phones that HTC and Samsung are bringing out I'd pass on doing a summer refresh and just shoot for bringing an all new redesigned iphone 6 to the table in October. Rumors and speculation will begin in the summer anyway and really help keep a spot lite on Apple even with these other manufacturers dropping new phones. I just really hope they skip the whole S thing and just go for a brand new, better iphone all together.

Last edited:

Ping Guo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I'd also like a wider screen. I do most of my texting and emailing in landscape mode and the stretched screen adds zero functionality. Some extra pixels on the x axis would be more useful for me than a taller screen. :eek:

buysp

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Is it me or does the hype for iPhone 5 seem muted compared to previous releases? While most would agree that this is an incremental upgrade, the new A6 processor is most welcome. Ives, on the other hand, really phoned it in this time. (Pun intended)

I'm looking forward to being amazed all over again by the iPhone 6. :)

Cool story bro.....:D

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
Did they actually come out and say this? :confused:

eh, kinda. in an interview at d:

The iPhone, for example, went from 3G to 3GS, with the letter “S” connoting speed. In 4 to 4S, the “S” stood more for Siri.

it sounds like it stood for siri after the fact, that it was going to be called the 4s regardless. i mean, if the next phone is called 5s like everyone thinks it is, isn't pretty obvious they're attaching meaning (if any is given) after the name?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
eh, kinda. in an interview at d:

it sounds like it stood for siri after the fact, that it was going to be called the 4s regardless. i mean, if the next phone is called 5s like everyone thinks it is, isn't pretty obvious they're attaching meaning (if any is given) after the name?

That was my feeling. I had never heard it officially announced.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
If you currently have the iPhone 5, there is zero reason to get the upcoming 5S this July. You will still get the brand new iOS7 on your 5, and the shape and size of the two phones will be near identical.

I'd just get the Galaxy S4 or Nexus-Five, if you want a true upgrade. Or wait for the true next gen iPhone, in the iPhone 6 coming next year.

Galaxy S4 is a smaller update than what the 5 brought to the table. I'll wait and see what apple brings.

Also, this phenomenon of changing your phone every year is fairly new. The "s" options are great for people on a 2 or 3 year cycle. And many of those people wish to stick with the iPhone.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Galaxy S4 is a smaller update than what the 5 brought to the table. I'll wait and see what apple brings.

Also, this phenomenon of changing your phone every year is fairly new. The "s" options are great for people on a 2 or 3 year cycle. And many of those people wish to stick with the iPhone.

What :eek:

The S4 introduced a 1080p screen over the S3's 720p. The S4 is thinner and lighter than the S3, but the S4 has a larger better battery than the S3. The S4 has a better camera over the S3. The S4 has 2gb RAM, the S3 1gb.

The iPhone 5 and 5S will share the same small size screen, the same thickness, overall will look identical to each other. Sure the 5S will have better internal hardware, but that's a given.

Point is, the S4 to the S3 is a bigger upgrade than it looks like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.