Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Both The Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg are reporting that Foxconn has begun hiring new workers in support of iPhone 5S production. The articles follow a separate report from The Wall Street Journal earlier this month claiming that production on the new iPhone would begin this quarter ahead of a potential summer launch.

From today's Wall Street Journal report:
A company spokesman declined to elaborate on production plans, only saying that Foxconn will continue to expand its workforce in Zhengzhou to meet seasonal demand from clients. But executives familiar with the situation said the company has stepped up hiring in Zhengzhou because it is preparing for production of the new iPhone.

"We have been very busy recently as we will start mass-producing the new iPhone soon," said a Zhengzhou-based executive who has direct knowledge of production plans.
iphone_production.jpg
iPhone being prepared for final assembly (Source: Apple)
Bloomberg's source offered similar information on Foxconn's hiring push:
Workers have been recruited at Foxconn's plant in Zhengzhou, eastern China, for the past month, ending a hiring freeze imposed in February, said the person, who asked not to be named because the plans haven't been made public. The extra workers will assemble the new device as well as existing models and have been added at Apple's request to boost capacity, the person said.
Apple has been rumored to be planning to introduce its next-generation iPhone as soon as the company's Worldwide Developers Conference, which has itself been rumored for its usual June timeframe.

Other reports have, however, been pushing their predictions of the iPhone 5S launch later in 2013, with relatively reliable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo just last week having predicted that work on a fingerprint sensor would result in the iPhone 5S launching later than many observers have expected. Kuo declined to offer a specific target date for the iPhone 5S launch, but outlined three possible scenarios involving a launch taking place between September and November.

Article Link: Foxconn Hiring Workers for iPhone 5S Production

BlindGoldfish

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2010
Does the iPhone in that picture that is being prepared for final assembly have a protective coating? Or is this Apple leaking a picture of a yellow iPhone 5S...

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
So start around early May and produce about 50k units a day or more should project to a june launch in US?

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Well, lets see some parts.

From what has been 'released' so far it looks like the same phone with some minor updates.

Guess the magical changes will be in i0S 7

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Last quarter Apple sold an average of 500,000 iPhones... every day.

But it was reported that it takes a total of 24 hours to make one iPhone.

So how many workers does Foxconn need to manufacture at that pace?

No wonder Foxconn is on a hiring spree...

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
The actual phone is sitting in a protective case. Or mold if you will.

That picture comes from an article that is almost a year old.

Don't think so, if you magnify the picture you can see holes in the bottom, now why should there be holes in a protective casing.
And, how thick is the casing, 0.1 mm, you just can't see a casing around it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-15 at 20.47.50.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-15 at 20.47.50.png
    81.2 KB · Views: 2,251

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
I wonder what this will mean for iOS 7. I think Apple would be a fool not to launch the iPhone 5S with iOS 7. If the gap between the iPhone 5S and WWDC will only be a few weeks, this means could mean three things:

1. Apple maintains the usual beta period and will not ship the 5S with iOS 7.
2. Apple shortens the beta period and ships the 5S with iOS 7.
3. Apple will announce iOS 7 prior to the WWDC.

My bet is on the third, since there are pretty strong rumors there will be an iPad event this month or in May. In 2010, they used the iPad event to introduce iOS 4, I think they'll return to that pattern. New OS in April/May, new Phone at WWDC. :)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
But I thought we just heard Foxconn was laying people off and sales were down due to weak iPhone demand. Now they're on a hiring spree because of the iPhone?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Don't think so, if you magnify the picture you can see holes in the bottom, now why should there be holes in a protective casing.

It just looks like protective tape you see on all sort of electronics during manufacturing/assembly [?]

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
I wonder what this will mean for iOS 7. I think Apple would be a fool not to launch the iPhone 5S with iOS 7. If the gap between the iPhone 5S and WWDC will only be a few weeks, this means could mean three things:

1. Apple maintains the usual beta period and will not ship the 5S with iOS 7.
2. Apple shortens the beta period and ships the 5S with iOS 7.
3. Apple will announce iOS 7 prior to the WWDC.

My bet is on the third, since there are pretty strong rumors there will be an iPad event this month or in May. In 2010, they used the iPad event to introduce iOS 4, I think they'll return to that pattern. New OS in April/May, new Phone at WWDC. :)

There won't be any iPad event in April, we haven't seen any parts leak out yet.:D

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011

If you look closely you can see it has a hole for a 30 pin connector so it either a 4 or 4S.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
So far I'm still thinking I'll be holding onto my 4S until next year...the rumors really haven't been suggesting that this is going to be an interesting device.

Unless they're backwards when they say "fingerprint sensor"... What if its not the device sensing your fingerprint, but your finger sensing the device, IE, tactile feedback. I'd be all over it if they added that in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.