Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

rearcamera.jpg
Apple's next generation iPhone may feature a 12-megapixel camera with an improved night shooting feature and HDR reports Vietnamese site Tinhte.vn [Google Translation] (via iPhoneinCanada).

According to the site, the rumor comes from a source at Wonderful Saigon Electrics in Binh Duong, which specializes in providing camera modules for the iPhone.

An improved camera has been a long rumored feature of the iPhone 5S, but there are few specifics available.

The iPhone 5 features the same 8-megapixel rear camera with an f2.4 aperture that was introduced with the iPhone 4S, but it has a sapphire crystal for improved clarity. A further improvement to 12-megapixels with a lower aperture to improve low light photography does not sound out of the realm of possibility.

Camera improvements have been a staple of Apple's "S" phone releases. The iPhone 4S featured an 8-megapixel rear camera, a significant upgrade from the iPhone 4's 5-megapixels.

Apple has also been dedicated to enhancing the camera quality of the iPhone with each iteration as it has become a popular photography device, adding features like panoramas and a volume shutter control. The iPhone has long been the most popular camera on photo sharing site Flickr.

Tinhte.vn has shared several Apple prototypes in the past, notably offering up a preview of Apple's redesigned EarPods and an early version of the fourth generation iPod touch, the first to come equipped with a camera.

Article Link: iPhone 5S May Come Equipped With 12-Megapixel Rear Camera and Improved Night Shooting

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
More megapixels is great provided you don't reduce the pixel size on the sensor. Maybe they could consider F2.0 or 1.8 from 2.2 as well.

LuxoJunior

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2013
Why do we need 12 megapixels for photos that will inevitably end up on Facebook!? I'd rather have an 8MP sensor that kicks ASS in low light or even a 5 MP sensor at a F1.8 at 5 or 8 MP than more useless megapixels.

d0mth0ma5

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2008
I'd just like a camera without a smudge on the lens... damn screen replacing fools. (cracking the screen in the first place was my fault, granted)

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I bet this will increase the size of images. I hope Apple increases the base storage sizes so that I can store more of these.

Krauser

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
They should take note from the HTC One with their camera. It's less megapixels but a much larger sensor. The pictures, while smaller than an 8 or 12 megapixel shooter, look great and night shots/dark environments come out excellent without artifacts and visual disturbances. I'd gladly take a 6mp sensor that takes excellent pictures than a 12mp one that just takes huge ones.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Why do we need 12 megapixels for photos that will inevitably end up on Facebook!? I'd rather have an 8MP sensor that kicks ASS in low light or even a 5 MP sensor at a F1.8 at 5 or 8 MP than more useless megapixels.

More MP = better pictures to the general public. AKA: Marketing.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
"Hey, how come I can't e-mail this photo? It says the photo is too large"
"Hey, how come this photo is taking forever to upload?"
"Hey, how it's taking so long to download these photos?"
"Hey, how do I zoom out?"
"Hey, I can't copy these photos to my USB drive cause they're too big and I'm out of space. Can you make it smaller? How do you shrink it?"

-Parents

And now we're moving to 12MP...

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
They should take note from the HTC One with their camera. It's less megapixels but a much larger sensor. The pictures, while smaller than an 8 or 12 megapixel shooter, look great and night shots/dark environments come out excellent without artifacts and visual disturbances. I'd gladly take a 6mp sensor that takes excellent pictures than a 12mp one that just takes huge ones.

u took the words out of my mouth. i love what im hearing about the htc one but im stuck in the apple ecostystem :(

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
I felt 8MP was the perfect number.

I guess increasing it to 12 will fool all the people who mega pixels are everything.

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Bumping the megapixel count is a sure sign that they're out of ideas. Even the Android manufacturers have gotten away from that game in the past year. Would have rather them focus on optical stabilization and larger sensors e.g. HTC and Nokia.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
HTC one's camera isnt THAT good... its a great idea but 4mp is just not enough. Look at the photo comparisons from different tests

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
u took the words out of my mouth. i love what im hearing about the htc one but im stuck in the apple ecostystem :(

I had a hands on with the One - it is sweeeet.

I'm looking forward to the new iPhone. Apple will consider low light in their final design. Hopefully...

I use my iPhone as my primary device for shooting so I've made a conscious decision to upgrade every year. It cost less than buying a new lens for my slr... (although, for sure, they meet different purposes).

I figure I'm better off investing in the thing I use most often.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
I really think Apples approach to cell phone cameras is a little bit too much of "me too". Consider:
  1. All the megapixels in the world don't make up for a real optical zoom.
  2. Some of the best things in life happen in low light.
  3. Real photographers want control over their cameras. Today's cell phone sensors do nothing for depth of field control for example. Likewise it is pretty darn hard to vary aperture on cell phone cameras.
  4. It wouldn't hurt the iPhone one bit if it got a bit thicker in one area to handle a far more advanced camera.
  5. More importantly putting better hardware in an iPhone doesn't mean that Apple has to follow past trends. Relight the optical path to make use of an edge. That way you have plenty of space for advance optics and even a big sensor.
  6. Quantum dot enhanced sensors would be beautiful.

Apple needs to innovate once again.

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
HTC one's camera isnt THAT good... its a great idea but 4mp is just not enough. Look at the photo comparisons from different tests

I've played around with it. It's slightly worse than the One X in bright conditions, but is a marked improvement in dark conditions. It's definitely not perfect, but in fairness to HTC they're trying something new rather than getting caught in the old MP count - which let's face it is done.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
In all honesty, I think the current camera is still fantastic. I've taken some amazing pictures that would rival my own (pretty good) Canon 600D.

If Apple were to focus on increasing it's low light capabilities and maybe ways to decrease shutter lag they'd still have a winner in my eyes.

Megapixels don't matter if they're not being focused by a decent lens.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Is the sensor size still the same? Then there's little point. :rolleyes:

It isn't the simple. If they can get a 2-3x increase in sensitivity then the result might be surprising. Remember the R&D going into cell phone sensors and optics is overwhelming. Something new comes about every few months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.