Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
No, just a logic and reality fetish. Your opinion isn't fact. Neither is mine. Just reporting what I've observed since this whole smartwatch idea popped up. Clearly there is a market for a smartwatch whether you wish to acknowledge it or not. The Pebble wouldn't have gone over so gangbusters if there wasn't. Just imagine if a well known company like Apple puts one out. Ka-ching.

I do find it interesting why so many are so overtly hostile to watches though. Now maybe if we were talking about ties, I'd understand, but a watch?

To see how popular watches still are, one can go to eBay and do a search for ant watch brand, Casio, Timex, Citizen, you name it. Look at the bids. Almost every watch will have bids placed and or but it now options. I bought ten watches on eBay over this past year, all 1955-1980 windup/automatic Timex watches that still run and keep great time.

jpross123

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2012
Kentucky
Serious why do Apple fans have this obsession with the blue screen of death? I haven't encountered one on Windows for years.

On topic, I just can't see any of these smart watches really being any more than a niche market.

You are right, don't get me started on the Kernel Panic

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Back in the Win95/98 days, MS tried this. They partnered with a company that built a watch which could hold contact information from early versions of Outlook. Data was loaded by putting the watch into receive mode and holding it up to a square on the screen that flashed to transmit data. It was a total flop but showed that MS was thinking ahead.

Today MS is playing catch-up on all fronts. They are followers and not leaders, obsessed with moving into a market already dominated and following Ballmer's principle of "dominate at all costs". Yeah, the Zune was great. So is the Surface. I'd like to see MS get back to thinking forward instead of trying to carve out a niche in someone else's market.

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
Hope Microsoft has updated it's photocopiers! Is there such a thing as a 3D Copier?

Bertrand Serlet must be pissing himself, Microsoft + an original product = Happy North Koreans.

andrewzz

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2012
They may join the race now but they'll still be five to ten years behind Apple, as usual.....

Dang it, I hope they come up with the iWatch "Killer" soon. We all like a good laugh. That, and I want to see Ballmer dance on stage again.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Windows 7 is just as stable as OSX.

not true. Take out that Windows 7 hard drive, plug it into a new computer. It will fail to start up. I even tried the system preparation tool, still didn't work for me. I get an error "Windows could not finish configuring the system" when booting.

OSX on the otherhand, will not have any problems moving over to a new computer. I worked at DIRECTV as an IT intern, and observed this millions of times (both Windows 7 failing and OSX succeeding in moving to new workstations)

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
not true. Take out that Windows 7 hard drive, plug it into a new computer. It will fail to start up. I even tried the system preparation tool, still didn't work for me. I get an error "Windows could not finish configuring the system" when booting.

OSX on the otherhand, will not have any problems moving over to a new computer. I worked at DIRECTV as an IT intern, and observed this millions of times (both Windows 7 failing and OSX succeeding in moving to new workstations)

This has nothing to do with stability

lzyprson

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
Might as well!! ESpecially considering the fact that MS Surface sales are doing soooo well!!!!!!!

HAHA!!!

glsillygili

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
New York
What "Smart watch race" ? there is only 2 smart watches the pebble and the sony smartwatch, and the ipod nano 6gen made sony make the smartwatch. So THERE IS NO "SMARTWATCH RACE" there hasnt even been a watch announced by any corporation. so stop with these bogus smartwatch stories

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
I will laugh my ass off in 2014 if everyone has a watch on the market EXCEPT Apple.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
looks like everyone is choosing to trust Apple with leading the market now after they criticised the iPad and said it would never sell.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
You're confusing stability with compatibility.

Try sticking the HD into a new computer, boot (which tries to repair itself), remove it from the new computer and put it back into the original computer. You'll find that it no longer boots on either computer. That's a huge stability issue.

Divebus

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2007
Serious why do Apple fans have this obsession with the blue screen of death? I haven't encountered one on Windows for years.

I just got a blue screen Saturday on 2008 Server - took out the last 3 hours of work on a video compression farm and we almost didn't make air for a TV series that started Sunday.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.