Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Whilst I'm sure many won't want it.

What's wrong with giving iPhone users "The Choice" ?

I do agree with you on that note, but I suppose there are also other considerations and complications with the whole thing. For example, if you give Facebook unprecedented access to alter certain fundamental features of the phone with the application, how do you be fair to other developers? Do you allow Twitter to do the same thing? How about Instagram? Or any other app?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Jony says eww....gross.

ZlzpJRGkCFA-9lEGJrGzLzl72eJkfbmt4t8yenImKBVaiQDB_Rd1H6kmuBWtceBJ

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
As long as they include a toggle to turn it off and burn Facebook to the ground, I don't care.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
This is why you don't have a logistic/ supply chain expert run a creative company...

----------

How on earth could you possibly know that? :rolleyes:

It's been well documented in the press that Forestall was protected by Jobs...

dmarcoot

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2007
This will happen as soon as Apple releases iTunes for Windows...

...er, as soon as Apple makes a video iPod

...ah, as soon as Apple switches to Intel

...no, as soon as Apple releases a phone

...um, wait, as soon as Apple creates a tablet

...or as soon as Apple gets into the eBook market

...as soon as Apple releases an "iPad mini"

Difference you are missing is those are fall under as Soon As Apple Does something that Gives Apple More Control Over It's Destiny and Improves the Customer Experience

Apple Giving FaceBook the ability to skin an FaceBook home GUI over it's own and watering down its own user experience does not fall into the above category

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
No thanks!!

Its a pure evil piece of software, you may as well give suckerberg all your life paper work, thoughts, money, friends email, phone numbers, etc, etc.

I went to the dark side. They didn't have cookies. I had the SgS3, which started to overheat and on a good day would run out of juice by 6pm without hardly using the thing. So im back to using my trusty iphone 4. I love coming back to the apple simplicity of the iOS, not being able to mess about to much is actually better (even though thats what got me annoyed at using the iphone and made me move to Android), and i'll never complain about iPhone battery life again! But now, no thanks Android. The last thing Apple should do is even contemplate talking to FB about bringing "Home" into iOS.

:eek:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This will happen as soon as Apple releases iTunes for Windows...

...er, as soon as Apple makes a video iPod

...ah, as soon as Apple switches to Intel

...no, as soon as Apple releases a phone

...um, wait, as soon as Apple creates a tablet

...or as soon as Apple gets into the eBook market

...as soon as Apple releases an "iPad mini"

How about this will happen as soon as Apple releases iTunes for Android, Windows Phone 8 and Blackberry 10?

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
Why? If I were apple, I would be laughing right now at how horrible it is. It's completely unpractical. And even a shock it got approved.

Facebook can do better. If this is Mark's Best.....then I have no hope for facebook or the development team.

Nebulance

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Why are people opposed to this. Even if you don't want facebook home, having the ability to run a third party launcher would be a nice addition. Throw in third party keyboard support while their at it.

I think so many are opposed because we should be thinking of ways to minimize our use of Facebook. Not shove it further in our faces.

This notion that our mundane thoughts and actions matter -- the celebrity effect, as I call it -- is getting out of control. I glance through my newsfeed and find nothing informative or interesting. Now, all I see is arbitrary comments about what someone had for lunch and an endless sea of memes, commenting on something political, religious or whatever, and somehow finds a way to judge you for not liking it 'in 5 seconds' if you believe in God. Yes, because God cares about Faebook.

The only useful information on FB comes from, on occasion, the musical artists I like. However, their news and news in general I find elsewhere, before I learn about it on FB.

It's been pretty fantastic lately minimizing my use of that app/website.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Why are people opposed to this. Even if you don't want facebook home, having the ability to run a third party launcher would be a nice addition. Throw in third party keyboard support while their at it.

Yea, how about third party everything?

innovation obviously comes from freedom, just look at cydia and android lately...

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
Too many elitist' hate on Facebook. tss

- I hope Apple adopt the chat heads. That feature is seriously usefull and implemented well. But of course it wouldn't be just for Facebook.

- The lockscreen is somehow good alternative to the current static image.. that's fine because there will be an option to disable it.

- The two things that Apple would never agree: 1) The circle head as lockscreen unlocker. 2) Facebook Home's App launcher.

Last edited:

Boomchukalaka

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
Color me unimpressed with the Facebook Home idea. My life doesn't revolve around Facebook. I've started spending less time using it, mostly because my newsfeed is choked full of suggested apps and suggested posts. I don't need any of that unwanted crap being bombarded onto my home screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.