Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
If Apple would pull all the OSX programmers to work on iOS, what makes you think they care about Aperture, iWork, FCP, or anything else considered "niche"?
Theres almost zero chance they would pull 'all' the programmers from OS X. They'd have grabbed those in positions that made sense to give the iOS team soe additional resources, but thats a far cry from depleting the OS X team entirely. There are still updates to OS X that have been released in recent times, so someone must be working on it.

So, Aperture is now two major releases behind LR - unless Apple surprise us by releasing Aperture 4 in the next couple of months, though I'm not holding my breath, but even then it'll still be one major release behind.
It's only a number. In terms of what the software is capable of it means very little. Apple could release a 0.X release that is larger than Adobe's X.0 release. Thats not to say that will happen, but it's pointless to read too much into the functionality of an application based on product number alone. Google Chrome being at version 2X.X doesn't suddenly have 10x the functionality of those browsers with single digit version numbers.

soulbot

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
I know this is veering off of LR, but how do I put am AJA card in my MBP to get NTSC SDI video out to my Grade 1 monitor when editing in Premiere?

With one of these? Or an equivalent box from BMD or Matrox? PCI cards aren't the only way.

How do I get it to render 24 frames at the same time in After Effects, utilizing each core and hyper threading?

The same way you get it to happen on your Mac Pro? Set it up in the AE preferences.

From here:
WHAT DID WE LEARN?
Quad-Core MacBook Pros can keep up with the Mac Pro.

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
I don't need this. I'm a photographer who learned how to use Photoshop and do all my file management in Bridge.

I consider Lightroom and Aperture applications for the computer illiterate among us in the trade. Learn how to use your tools instead of settling for the "idiot version" people!

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Apple is lucky to have a great company liek Adobe to make software for its products, despite the almost nonexistent sales numbers for the Mac.

All mac owners should buy a copy to express their gratitude to Adobe, especially after all the nasty crap that The Steve used to spout.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
3 Years on Aperture 3! I waited and waited, and moved to Lightroom a few months ago. Now the disparity is really becoming clear. Sure, lots of posts about Apple giving the pros the backseat - but isn't it becoming super clear? FCPX, Mac Pros with super long refresh cycles, and Aperture showing its age years ago... I love apple, but not as a professional anymore.

The thing is that Apple isn't terribly dependent on those applications. They just sink the price of software to push hardware. Adobe is entirely dependent on the applications they publish.

Not likely. The App Store's EULA is waaay to open for Adobe.

It's possible that they don't want to pay a cut to Apple. If you're still on the upgrade model, you can only buy upgrades directly through Adobe at this point.

Apple is lucky to have a great company liek Adobe to make software for its products, despite the almost nonexistent sales numbers for the Mac.

Do they publish the Mac vs Windows sales numbers?

soulbot

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
I don't need this. I'm a photographer who learned how to use Photoshop and do all my file management in Bridge.

I consider Lightroom and Aperture applications for the computer illiterate among us in the trade. Learn how to use your tools instead of settling for the "idiot version" people!

Wonderful that you've developed a workflow that works. For you. However, simply because other people don't use your method doesn't mean they're wrong and you're right.

What exactly are people "settling for" in their 'idiot versions'? We're using one piece of software, you're using two — to do the same job? And we're the idiots?

I'd rather be a happy, friendly artist than an arrogant, grumbling technologist. But, hey, what do I know? I'm probably an idiot. ;)

tmroper

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
Palo Alto
Editing a preview rather than the underlying RAWs sounds interesting and useful for when you won't have access to a network where they are stored. But other than that, it doesn't sound like much of an upgrade. Nothing close to what LR4 was.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
How many people are employed at Apple?
I think I read around 13,000?

How many of them work on software?
And in comparison, how many people work on software at Adobe?

Does anyone know?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
It really sounds like Lightroom 4.5. Are they using the same 2012 processing engine? Tacking on some features is nice, but not $150 nice. Hopefully this was just a preview on the features they have now with more to come. In any case, it still beats Aperture 3.

randyj

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2004

Make the switch and see your productivity sky rocket.
I dont need to use photoshop anymore at all.
To me if I need to edit the image in photoshop, I failed taking the picture.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK

I made a lot of money a few years ago, teaching dinosaurs like you how to use modern software to improve your workflow. Mostly grumpy technophobes who love nothing more than tweaking images to death, one by one, slowly, and safely.

File management and Bridge don't really go together seeing as bridge is really just a portal to your own file management. Put a folder here, etc.
'Learning' photoshop doesn't a genius make. Although it's an awesome program most of it isn't necessary to users of DAM software, where library management and batch processing is king.
Careful who you call idiots on here, please, especially when you come across as having no idea about what you so easily dismiss.
Professionals don't need to be told what software works best for their individual workflows, and most these days don't have the time to wang around on photoshop all day.

A degree of Computer illiteracy (if it were even that) is in this case preferable to not being out there being a 'professional photographer', even less so a cantankerous, old fashioned, presumptuous fool, with out of sync delusions of superiority.

redkamel

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006
Check the benchmarks. Even the new MacBook Pros are faster than the Mac Pro. The Xenon architecture is old, and its executable distribution between the processors is inefficient.

Sure
http://barefeats.com/imac12b1.html
http://www.barefeats.com/imac12p1.html

They pit it against the six core, and its pretty even with the imac faster on real world tests. Didn't see any tests against the 12 core. I don't want to go to OT, so I'll just clarify and admit I was partially wrong; the imac is as fast or slightly faster than the MP. But I don't think a top of the line of imac is faster than the a 12 core MP. I would be interested in seeing the data. At any rate, its moot since the imac is such a better deal vs the Pro unless you really the cores, expansion, or durability.

anthony11

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Seattle, WA
"What does Lightroom do that Aperture does not? What is the killer feature that an Aperture user would upheave his exiting libraries and switch for?"

I started out evaluating both. Could not make any sense of Aperture or get it to produce a print even vaguely resembling what's displayed. LR just worked and was readily operated without even reading docs.

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
a more flexible vignetting tool is VERY welcome, since before that one had to switch to PS to do that.
besides, since release 4 it became far too slow, and i have a i5 mbp with dedicated vga!

randyj

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2004
It really sounds like Lightroom 4.5. Are they using the same 2012 processing engine? Tacking on some features is nice, but not $150 nice. Hopefully this was just a preview on the features they have now with more to come. In any case, it still beats Aperture 3.

Probably more marketing than a real update.
I heard a whisper that a new version of Aperture is certainly in the works and will be released soon. (friend of a friends cousins dog kind of thing)

My point being this, when Apple releases Aperture 4, they are now a number behind Lightroom 5.
It does play to the mental game of choosing software.
I would not be surprised that now the next version will be Aperture X. (some have already said that too).

An example of this in the past is the Playstation and Xbox. Sony released the PS3 and Microsoft not to be out done by releasing the Xbox 2, released the Xbox 360!!

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
I was just thinking about switching to Lightroom 4 from Aperture last night.. still not sure though.

Aperture is so slow for me now.

Aperture was behind even with Lightroom 4.3 for me. Now we're at 4.4 and looking at 5, with nothing announced as for an Aperture successor. I'm personally not regretting my move to Lightroom.

cambox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
omnipresent
Well there are a lot of "professionals" or people who call themselves that..:rolleyes:.. that still get everything they need to get from Apple. Music and movie studios don't seem to be crying foul with Apple nor do large corporations of the arts that use Macs and Adobe certainly feels their professional software is still worth coding on Mac rather than making crap ports. I'm finding that more "Apple enthusiasts" tend to have this annoyance. Not make excuses here but to be honest about it you don't really need a Mac Pro to do any heavy work. The top iMac can handle Maya, AutoCAD and the like extremely well. I've been on Mac for well over 15 years and I know system software well enough.

Sorry but you have no idea what the '' Large corporations are saying'' I work for one very very large corporation and Apple is not the best word you can mention here. FCPX is all I will say. Keep with your hobby but dont say you know what's going on in the real business world.

cambox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
omnipresent
Please don't bring FCPX into this. The updates have fixed pretty much everything that was missing before. Anything missing now is either people moaning on the littlest thing or they just don't want to relearn the future of editors. FCPX is a complete break from previous NLE's and until ppl understand that, they will continue to not get it. So with that, now to Mac Pro's... there are more than enough solutions out there that work wonders as HenryDJP has so elegantly stated (Henry I +1 you on that post).

Now with that set aside, I'm very happy with LR4. I was thinking about waiting for Ap4, but I used a trial of LR4 and it felt like being right at home. Things are setup just the way I want them to. Will I upgrade to LR5? Probably not. Why? Because I really just use it for organizational purposes. I'm just a guy with a DSLR that takes photos here and there, not much of a color correction or anything like that. So for photo management, I'm very pleased with LR4.

For those of you who are thinking about Lightroom, I say take the dive! Grab the beta and hold out till LR5 is released and buy it. If your doing photo management, LR4 will fit the bill, you could even wait till LR5 and get a deal on LR4.

Aaaw good for you I am so glad you are at home with FCPx and the way we are all now supposed to edit. How funny that most serious post houses dont use it? One man bands are fine with it but broadcast cant use it. End of conversation. Now go back to your fabulous little world of just you.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
One would hope that this would be a kick in the pants for apple to roll out a new version of Aperture but alas I think people were hoping that Lightroom 4 was going to do that as well.

I like aperture it fits my workflow better then LR so I'll keep using it, but I envision a day that I move on - kind of like what apple has done with iWeb. Just let it whither on the vine

aleksander

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
London, UK
Let's ask Tim

Can someone please email Tim (or more relevant manager at Apple) and ask him WTH is happening with Aperture? :cool: The lack of updates seems really weird given the fact they highlighted photography as important part of the iOS/OSX experience on pretty much every keynote.

Aperture is screaming for a significant update and here's hoping they are working on Aperture X with some killer improvements/features. Maybe they'll release it with the new Mac Pro?

What I'd like to see very soon, from top of my head:
  • Networked library and multi-user editing
  • Re-usable masks
  • More/better tools in mask editing mode
  • Perspective/barrel correction tools and other image transformations
  • Improved repair brush (current is unusable for anything else than single spots)
  • Ability to edit iCloud Journals (having this only on iOS is ridiculous)
  • Faster

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Just a theory but I reckon that when Apple release the new Mac Pro's we will see a wealth of updates to the Pro apps.

Here's to wishful thinking...

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Can someone please email Tim (or more relevant manager at Apple) and ask him WTH is happening with Aperture? :cool: The lack of updates seems really weird given the fact they highlighted photography as important part of the iOS/OSX experience on pretty much every keynote.

Aperture is screaming for a significant update and here's hoping they are working on Aperture X with some killer improvements/features. Maybe they'll release it with the new Mac Pro?

While they're asking, I'd like to know what Apple is doing with iWork, too. More than four years and counting since the last major update. As for Aperture, I still like the workflow, but the more time passes, the more I'm thinking of making the jump to LR.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.