Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I edit with FCPX using a FW800 scratch disk. Although it seems OK, does anyone edit with a USB3 scratch disk at all??

I understand FW800 is better for editing due to the way it streams data rather then USB3, which sends it in bursts, but with the speed difference of USB3 I wonder if it would be fine, if no better, for editing regardless?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Depends on what footage you edit and what codec it uses and if you can profit from 30 more MB/s.

I get 80 to 90 MB/s via USB 3.0 which probably is due to the chipset in the docking station. But then again, I only use a Hackintosh and will build the HDDs into the case.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Depends on what footage you edit and what codec it uses and if you can profit from 30 more MB/s.

I get 80 to 90 MB/s via USB 3.0 which probably is due to the chipset in the docking station. But then again, I only use a Hackintosh and will build the HDDs into the case.

I use FCPX with ProRes422 footage....

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I have a WD USB 3 2TB drive which I use with my rMBP, but it's nowhere near fast enough for me to use in real time work...For that I use a Pegasus R4 connected to my iMac...The WD is really just a bulk storage device which it does well. If you can run to thunderbolt, WD make a very affordable 6TB unit...my buddy next door has one and uses it in real time...Plenty fast and not super expensive...around half the cost of the Promise stuff...Not fancy, but adequate.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I have a WD USB 3 2TB drive which I use with my rMBP, but it's nowhere near fast enough for me to use in real time work...For that I use a Pegasus R4 connected to my iMac...The WD is really just a bulk storage device which it does well. If you can run to thunderbolt, WD make a very affordable 6TB unit...my buddy next door has one and uses it in real time...Plenty fast and not super expensive...around half the cost of the Promise stuff...Not fancy, but adequate.

I do have a Drobo 5D, which uses Thunderbolt, which Ive been considering using - but need to buy myself a reliable 3m cable in that case as 2m would be too restrictive! I guess thats the best option all round though, although I do like have th eprotability when using a smaller bus powered HDD!

How many concurrent streams? For one stream or two, Firewire will be fine, for more the actual HDD will be the slow one, as it has to play three files or more from three different sector areas.

I usually only work with one or two streams to be honest.....

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Considering a Buffalo MiniStation 256GB SSD to use via Thunderbolt and just be done with it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.