Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I really think Apples approach to cell phone cameras is a little bit too much of "me too". Consider:
  1. All the megapixels in the world don't make up for a real optical zoom.
  2. Some of the best things in life happen in low light.
  3. Real photographers want control over their cameras. Today's cell phone sensors do nothing for depth of field control for example. Likewise it is pretty darn hard to vary aperture on cell phone cameras.
  4. It wouldn't hurt the iPhone one bit if it got a bit thicker in one area to handle a far more advanced camera.
  5. More importantly putting better hardware in an iPhone doesn't mean that Apple has to follow past trends. Relight the optical path to make use of an edge. That way you have plenty of space for advance optics and even a big sensor.
  6. Quantum dot enhanced sensors would be beautiful.

Apple needs to innovate once again.

All fine and dandy, but let's not forget it's an iPhone, not an iCamera, and for the average person, the current specs are satisfactory. You're never going to get resolution or contrast levels on a phone, any phone, that are the staple of even a modest SLR. Getting such specs on a cell phone would entail much larger sensors and better processors at the very least, and require major compromises in size and weight, that most phone users wouldn't care enough about. Most users would rather get better phone performance and/or battery life.

"Real photographers" won't use a cellphone camera for any serious photography.

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
Why do we need 12 megapixels for photos that will inevitably end up on Facebook!? I'd rather have an 8MP sensor that kicks ASS in low light or even a 5 MP sensor at a F1.8 at 5 or 8 MP than more useless megapixels.

Not all the photos wind up on Facebook, and as the quality of the images improve, so do the number of uses increase. Family photos, posters, advertisements, etc. Smaller megapixels eventually distort with larger uses.

But I know what you're saying. Apple said at a launch event a phone or two ago that the number of pixels isn't nearly as relevant as the overall quality of the image. So while I'm not necessarily rooting for any particular megapixel benchmark, I *am* anxious to take on ANY improvements I can get in the overall image quality.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Not many 12 mega pixel phones have been good.

If apple make it a decent phone for low light pictures and the camera quality is good it will be a step up.

hot spare

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
They should take note from the HTC One with their camera. It's less megapixels but a much larger sensor.

Sensor is same 1/3-inch sensor. Since pixels are less, individual pixel size is larger.

Well, if you go back to 2007, Nokia N95 had a 1/2.5 inch sensor with a 2.2 micron pixel pitch. This is still the highest pixel size in any mobile camera.

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
So what Apple and most of its followers on here are saying is that a better camera is a must; yet a bigger better screen to view them on isn't!!!

I do a lot of photography and whilst not a lot was done with my iphone, it was enough to move me on to another provider (Nokia Lumia 820) so I could enjoy the images I had taken within an improved environment. I also looked at the Note II and S3 but went for the Nokia in the end as it just seemed a more 'lovely' OS to use (each to their own).

My point is, everyone on here is saying 'no one wants small screens', yet they're all jumping with the excitement of a better camera; so it seems odd they're not asking for an improved screen to take./view these pictures upon. Guess thats because they know Apple will only ever give people what they (Apple) want, as opposed to the other way round!

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
  1. Some of the best things in life happen in low light.

tumblr_mduqbwfw5d1rp67mx.png

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
I bet this will increase the size of images. I hope Apple increases the base storage sizes so that I can store more of these.

How about they just allow for added external storage options and quit overcharging us for what they do offer.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Source? Or sources? I'd like to see where many professional photographers are using the iPhone as their main camera. Also, which magazine covers? And what Oscar winning documentary was finished on an iPhone? Who is the famous war photographer in Afghanistan using the iPhone? Comparing a $2 plastic lens to a high quality DSLR lens does make me chuckle to be honest.

I'm not a pro photographer, but I can see where recent iPhones can produce images that are much more comparable to ones I can get with my DSLR than earlier iPhones. And, unlike my DSLR, my iPhone is pretty much always with me and ready to grab a shot in a couple of seconds. Although I'm not ready to give up my DSLR's ability to control DOF, shutter speed, and other parameters, it's nice to have both options.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Improvement is improvement. I look forward to seeing what/if any camera improvements are made in the next iPhone!

If the next iPhone can take a great night photo with the user just pointing, focus, shoot. They're onto a winner.

iSunrise

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
Exciting technological times we are living in.
Yeah, totally. Tomorrow there´s a 13-megapixel camera. Then there´s a 14-megapixel camera. After that, there´s a 15-megapixel camera. Don´t forget about the brand new 16-megapixel camera. There´s even room for a 17-megapixel camera. Or a 18-megapixel camera, in some cases. While we´re at it, 19-megapixels are not totally out of the question, either. And since we´re close, we´re doing a 20-megapixel camera just because we can.

Totally exciting, indeed. Give me a break.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Yeah, totally. Tomorrow there´s a 13-megapixel camera. Then there´s a 14-megapixel camera. After that, there´s a 15-megapixel camera. Don´t forget about the brand new 16-megapixel camera. There´s even room for a 17-megapixel camera. Or a 18-megapixel camera, in some cases. While we´re at it, 19-megapixels are not totally out of the question, either. And since we´re close, we´re doing a 20-megapixel camera just because we can.

What about the improvement in low-light photography as mentioned in the article? I think that's awesome in it's own right.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Why do we need 12 megapixels for photos that will inevitably end up on Facebook!? I'd rather have an 8MP sensor that kicks ASS in low light or even a 5 MP sensor at a F1.8 at 5 or 8 MP than more useless megapixels.

Spot on....I don't need or want more image size....Just about everything I upload has to be reduced in size anyway...If I'm going for proper shots, I use my cameras....A camera nudge isn't going to make me buy the 5S...This time I'm skipping through to the 6.

iSunrise

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
What about the improvement in low-light photography as mentioned in the article? I think that's awesome in it's own right.
That´s an improvement alright, but hardly anything to be that excited about. Improvements could mean anything. A little less noise, a little better light sensitivity. It´s marketing until we really know and see a difference in the real world.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
I'd like to be able to take pictures in concerts without everyone looking like they have ghost faces...

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I hope Apple gives the front camera some love. That is where the MPs are really needed. Back camera really just needs better low light capability. A lot of people use the front camera as a regular camera, not just for chat.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
How about they just allow for added external storage options and quit overcharging us for what they do offer.

It's expensive, but not overcharging. You aren't buying just RAM or storage, you are buying the entire package. While Apple may be making good margin on storage its probably be losing on an improved camera, etc. We've seen this before where its margins get squeezed because a new improved part cost more than the old one but Apple's price point remains the same for competitive reasons.

legacyb4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hope they've fixed the dust finding its way onto the sensor problem; been reading more and more about this problem and hoping Apple will rectify the source of the problem.

Rantipole

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2004
Boston
12 megapixels are completely completely completely completely completely unnecessary for this type of camera! 8 megapixels is plenty! Improve image quality by focusing on the "guts" of the camara at this point--lens, sensor, etc.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I'm not a pro photographer, but I can see where recent iPhones can produce images that are much more comparable to ones I can get with my DSLR than earlier iPhones. And, unlike my DSLR, my iPhone is pretty much always with me and ready to grab a shot in a couple of seconds. Although I'm not ready to give up my DSLR's ability to control DOF, shutter speed, and other parameters, it's nice to have both options.

I agree Roller. But check out some of the apps like "big lens"...you can create some really nice looking shallow depth of field in post with it. :)

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
All fine and dandy, but let's not forget it's an iPhone, not an iCamera, and for the average person, the current specs are satisfactory. You're never going to get resolution or contrast levels on a phone, any phone, that are the staple of even a modest SLR. Getting such specs on a cell phone would entail much larger sensors and better processors at the very least, and require major compromises in size and weight, that most phone users wouldn't care enough about. Most users would rather get better phone performance and/or battery life.

"Real photographers" won't use a cellphone camera for any serious photography.

Real photographers? Look around buddy. Some ahem "real" photographers are indeed doing just that. Not only are some real photographers like Annie Lebowitz singing the iPhones praises, but increasing numbers of them are actually ditching their DSLRs entirely. Magazine covers have been shot with them. Many famous street photographers are using them excluseivlely now. The iphone is a revelation for street photography. The iphone is currently the most popular camera on Flickr. This years Oscar winning film for best documentary was partially shot on an iphone! War photographers and photojournalists both amateur & professional are using the iphone around the world to create images that Robert Capa & Henri Cartier-Bresson would be proud of.

No one is saying the iphone is gonna replace the DSLR for everything. Of course not. But the line is indeed blurring. Not long ago many people like you were saying the DSLR would never EVER replace or even COMPETE with traditional "real" film SLRs. Well...look what happened.

Bottom line is that its easy to scoff or dismiss the iphone as a camera...but look around. It's creating some amazing images and being used by some amazing real photographers out there. :)

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

theres a Nokia Phone with 41 megapixel out already

Tminusg

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2011
Damn it Apple!

I know its been said many times over and over from Android fanboys, but honestly... GIVE US THE OPTION OF BIGGER SCREENS!!! Just gave up my iphone 5 for a note 2, as a trial... I can honestly say WOW. Great phone! But definitely wish it had ios.

As a Apple enthusiast, :( who the **** cares about better camera on a small ass "stretched out" screen???

My opinion only. Not fandroid rhetoric

damitssam

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
No Xenon Flash? No Optical Stabilization? Or is apple complacent on holding onto its lead instead of innovating.

PLEASE APPLE, just bring those TWO things and I would switch back to iphone in a heartbeat.

Not hard to do.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland

This!

----------

I'd say its becoming more comparable to my high end point and shoot. The slr is a different beast entirely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.