Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

astrophone

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2013
I read that the software version is supposed to be 5.2.1..."Apple technicians are authorized to replace affected products for two years from the original date of purchase at no charge to the customer after verifying that the devices are running software version 5.2.1 and that there are no third party interference issues."

Mine has been updated to 6.1.3 so this doesn't make sense. If all it takes is a software upgrade then why would Apple replace anything?

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
I read that the software version is supposed to be 5.2.1..."Apple technicians are authorized to replace affected products for two years from the original date of purchase at no charge to the customer after verifying that the devices are running software version 5.2.1 and that there are no third party interference issues." Mine has been updated to 6.1.3 so this doesn't make sense. If all it takes is a software upgrade then why would Apple replace anything?

6.1.3 is the current version of iOS for iPhone/iPad.

5.2.1 is the current version for Apple TV.

bryan85

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
Plain brown box. Ran the serial number checker. Manufacture date is last month. Suggests new to me.

Awesome, thanks! I was considering getting mine replaced but i've had far too many issues with refurbished things from Apple. Looks like I will be making a trip to the store soon.

bassanoclapper

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
London
No Genius Bar appointments available for the 3 biggest stores in London. I've got 2 units with rogue serial numbers. Might have to phone Apple too

PeterKG

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
Mine has been replaced. No test of my previous model. Just replacement with a brown box.

Model introduced: 2012
Serial number: DMXXXXDRHN
Production year: 2013
Production week: 6 (February)
Model introduced: 2012
Model Number: MD199
Group1: AppleTV
Group2:
Generation: 3
Machine Model: AppleTV3,1
Family name: A1427
Factory: DM (China - Foxconn)

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
I'll wait and bring both TV's to the States in August and exchange them there.

When Apple exchanged did they just exchange the unit or did they require the remote and power lead.

PeterKG

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
Just bring in the unit itself. They hand you a new one and put the old one in the brown box.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I have one of the "bad" serial numbers. I have never actually tried the device over wifi, I have always used it wired.

Is there a good way to check to see if I have a defective unit. My plan is to switch to wifi (2.4 or 5g?) and play a two hour movie from my iTunes library. Should that be sufficient, or is there a better "stress test" to try?

I live 5 hours from an apple store, I will have to deal with phone support or maybe an authorized repair place if they service this device (they do service iMacs.)

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Any official link from Apple about this?

I try to not be a jerk in the forums (not always successfully) but here is my honest jerk response:

All I can tell you is I just got off the phone with AppleCare and there is no recall. The rep told me it must have been the router I was using or that it was using WEP security. :eek:

If you're keeping score, my second paragraph contains three things I don't believe.

PeterKG

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
Maybe its just wording that it is a replacement and not a recall. When I traded mine this morning, the genius was aware of it because he remembered reading about it. Then he looked it up on his iPad, and found the details of it. So as usual call another time or go in to get a different person.

iPhonesandMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Maybe its just wording that it is a replacement and not a recall. When I traded mine this morning, the genius was aware of it because he remembered reading about it. Then he looked it up on his iPad, and found the details of it. So as usual call another time or go in to get a different person.

Did they come with new cable and remote

PeterKG

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
As I posted above, just bring in your AppleTV. They do a swap of the unit only. Leave your power cord and remote at home.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US

Good advice and I wondered about the word "recall". It burned me that she was going to play dumb and engage in word play.

I need to decide to call back or go in.

mateo124

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Should I get mine replaced? Mine has HC in the 4th and 5th, DRHN in the end as well. The reason I'm asking is my Airplay quality is pure CRAP and is always pixelated, not sure if its my router or not.

iPhonesandMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
I am just going to go get mine replaced in a year or two lol, no point in replacing it now if they put a 2 year limit on it, and theres no issues with mine yet.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
People who have had theirs swapped, can you look on the bottom and tell me if it says A1427 or A1469? If it is the latter you have the A5X chip and a new wifi chip as well.

PeterKG

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
Mine wasn't the later. Look at my post above with specs. But it was built in February.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.