Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
I did not lose his wallet. He is responsible for the loss (fully or partial). I would not call him a victim. If you want to call him a victim, call him “a victim of his own carelessness”.

Alright.

We're in your house, you lose your keys. I find them. Mine now. And your car too. After all, I didn't lose your keys, you're just a victim of your own carelessness.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
No, not really. Kids & adults learn fast, if something hurts.

I did not lose his wallet. He is responsible for the loss (fully or partial). I would not call him a victim. If you want to call him a victim, call him “a victim of his own carelessness”.

I find it fascinating the way people justify their ways of thinking. I am intensely curious as to why you ignore the other party in this scenario. What of the person who took the money? Why do you have nothing to say about this person?

If given a choice to punish one person in this scenario, I suspect many people would punish the one who takes the money and not the one who lost it. I would hypothesize that even a sizable fraction of people who think the taker is justified would still prefer to punish them over the one who lost the wallet.

Thanks for sharing!

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Unless there's absolutely zero identification, I'd do my best to return the wallet to its owner intact and with all cash. My reasoning is that at least here in Oakland, a wallet or money clip turned in to the OPD with no identification would simply get stolen by the police - yeah, that's how we roll. That said, in many years, the most I've ever kept in cash without any ID associated with it at all was a $10 bill I found on the sidewalk - folks just don't carry a lot of cash these days.

That said, I've found IDs, wallets, cash with credit cards, cell phones, and a host of items with some means to identify their owners. You'd be amazed what financial institutions can do to help locate credit card owners - I've called, explained that I found the card and that it should be cancelled, the credit card company/bank takes my number, contacts the owner, and acts as a liaison. Similarly, most folks can be found on Google, and I've pinged people through their LinkedIn profiles, email addresses online and Google Voice numbers. Since we're close to Cal Berkeley, the campus police department will accept lost items if they have a student ID. Sometimes if it's just a license and a pile of credit cards, I'll mail them to the person's address on the license.

I've been pickpocketed from my purse on public transit and robbed, so I try to remember the hassle and time it took to replace everything in my wallet as well as the hit from the lost cash. Plus, you know, it's the kind thing to do.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Actually I did find a wallet just recently and I did return it. The owner offered a reward, which I refused to take.
Yeah - I never really go for that sort of thing myself, either. Folks generally shouldn't be rewarded for being a person among people, is my reasoning. The only time I ever took a "reward" was when I found a college student's cell phone, wallet, cash and purse sitting on my front lawn.

Apparently, she was skiving off from class and staying out late drinking, and had simply dropped it and not noticed while walking drunk through the neighborhood. I managed to get in contact with her mother though the items in the purse, and her mother (also a local) was so pissed off at her she made her give me the cash in the wallet at the time they came to pick everything up, which was like $50.

Not really knowing what else to do, I took a friend to dinner with it, lol.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
This is my own experience, not a justification.

Sure it is. Your justification is based on your experiences. I'm just trying to understand your view from a few different angles. You completely ignore the other party in the scenario, and I find that incredibly interesting.

Am I the only one who is curious not just about what people think but also why they think it?

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Which makes me appreciate my community even more. It's not perfect, by any means. But last year someone posted in our free on-line classified pages looking for the hitch-hiker who had gotten a ride with the poster. It seemed that hitch-hiker had dropped $1.37 in change while in the car and the poster figured the hitch-hiker needed it worse than they did. I have no idea if they managed to connect.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Which makes me appreciate my community even more. It's not perfect, by any means. But last year someone posted in our free on-line classified pages looking for the hitch-hiker who had gotten a ride with the poster. It seemed that hitch-hiker had dropped $1.37 in change while in the car and the poster figured the hitch-hiker needed it worse than they did. I have no idea if they managed to connect.

Admittedly, I'm a bit of a sucker for feel-good anecdotes.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
I have found a couple wallets and of course they are returned with original contents. One wallet did not have any ID so I turned it in where I found it (library card) yet did organize the money while looking for a way to track them down because it was put in wrong.

I have found cash all by itself and that is mine! I never thought there was any real way to find who lost that twenty, if I lost a twenty in a story (never happen) I would not check with anyone because who would even try to return a twenty dollar bill? Well, there was that one time at the Hotel yet there keycard was with it so that could help track them down. (Was not needed though)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.