Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in 1983, Apple's Macintosh team attended a retreat at the La Playa Carmel hotel in Carmel, California, where employee shenanigans resulted in a 30-year company gathering ban from the resort.

According to SFGate, the La Playa Carmel, which is located about two hours south of Cupertino, recently lifted the restrictions preventing Apple from using the spot for corporate retreats. Apple has already booked an upcoming meeting at the hotel.

laplaya.jpg
Frank Rose, author of "West of Eden: The End of Innocence at Apple Computer," details the trip in his book, calling it a "college beer blast," where the Macintosh team went skinny dipping and had a bonfire.
When [Elliot] was eating dinner in the La Playa's primly starched dining room and saw a dozen Macintosh people swimming nude in the lighted pool outside, he chuckled softly and went on with this meal, oblivious to the polite strangling sounds of the blue-haired ladies all around. He was, after all, the official guardian of Apple's corporate culture, and if this was what he was supposed to guard, he was ready for the task.
Following the hijinks, the Macintosh team was asked to leave and to never return, a ban that has been revoked after the hotel went through both a remodel and a change of ownership.

The new La Playa Carmel hotel offers ocean view hotel rooms, meeting facilities with team building activities like golf and sailing, lush gardens, and the infamous pool where Apple employees once skinny dipped.

Article Link: La Playa Hotel Lifts 30-Year Ban on Apple Corporate Retreats

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Regardless to the the change in ownership and the renovations, it has been 30 years ;)

peb123

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2010
Whats the bet at there upcoming meeting they skinny dip in the pool again and get another 30 year ban!

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Might just be me, but those shenanigans makes me have more respect for them. I pray to all the deities that they do it again!

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I stayed there once. Good for ocean view, but it's a fairly standard 3-star hotel, nothing extravagant like the photos indicate. For my money, I would stay at Tickle Pink Inn (similar price but much nicer).

jonAppleSeed

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2013
Probably stunk up the place with lead fumes and burnt a hole in a mattress with a soldering iron. Hooligans *shakes fist*

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
It was a permanent ban, not a 30 year ban.

It ended 30 years later only because the hotel changed ownership/management, and the new powers-that-be decided to lift it, not because it "expired".

The wording makes it seem as if it was originally intended to last 30 years. It was intended to be permanent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.