Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

facebook.jpg
Former Apple employee Richard Williamson has been hired by Facebook, reports Bloomberg. Williamson, who was in charge of Apple's iOS mapping team, was fired in November after Apple Maps faced extensive criticism for its poor performance.
Williamson joined Facebook in the past couple of weeks to be a manager within its expanding mobile-software group, said two of the people, who declined to be identified because the information isn't public.
Facebook has acquired several other Apple employees in an effort to improve and expand on its iOS app, which was updated today to add the Chat Heads feature.
Other former Apple employees brought in by Zuckerberg include Greg Novick, a former iPhone manager who helped develop the device's touch interface; Mike Matas and Kimon Tsinteris, software designers who joined when Facebook acquired their company Push Pop Press; and software engineers Scott Goodson, Tim Omernick and Chris Tremblay.
Facebook has also reportedly hired former Twitter employee Loren Brichter, who designed Twitter's original iPhone app and popular word game Letterpress. Brichter is a former member of Scott Forstall's iPhone team.

Article Link: Facebook Hires Former Apple Maps Manager Richard Williamson

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Why is eddie cue shown?
And anyone else curious about what is Scott Forstall doing?

Last edited:

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Why is eddie cue shown?
Also, what is Scott Forstall doing?

When searching for "Richard Williamson" on Google Images, Eddy Cue's face comes up like 50 times so I'm guessing people are confused about who Richard Williamson actually is because of that. haha

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
...and together they shall write the worst software the world has ever seen! Mmwwwohahahaha!

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
When searching for "Richard Williamson" on Google Images, Eddy Cue's face comes up like 50 times so I'm guessing people are confused about who Richard Williamson actually is because of that. haha

This, along with a momentary lapse of brain functionality. Sorry about that, I updated it in approximately 20 seconds but you guys are too quick. :)

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Seems to happen a lot. People exchanging people from huge companies. Would expect people to take the (semi opposite) route of Steve Jobs, creating their own business after getting fired.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Seems to happen a lot. People exchanging people from huge companies. Would expect people to take the (semi opposite) route of Steve Jobs, creating their own business after getting fired.

Times have changed somewhat since then. Its a much bigger risk to do that these days.

RicoRich196

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2011
Homage to a great post.

"Okay and just down the hall is your office. Richard! Not that that door! Rich.. Richard! For the love of God that's the conference room! Turn! Turn right! Too far, you idiot! Left a little... now two steps forward... NO! Forward! Never mind, dammit. Just stand there. Have you learned nothing?"

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Times have changed somewhat since then. Its a much bigger risk to do that these days.

Disagree. Many senior level managers have way more money and resources and opportunities then jobs did back then. The real reason is few people are capable or even want to run their own business. You get 30% of the pay and 1% of the responsibility.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I can't imagine they want him for his mapping knowledge. If anything I bet this is just a power move. Just FB flexing its muscles, trying to gain some tech cred by hiring Apple people.

Seriously if facebook is trying to enter the world of maps.... just.... no..... please.

Google won. Apple is awesome, they do awesome things, but Google won the maps battle before Apple even entered the ring. There are so many other angles to compete on where Apple or Facebook could actually gain an edge over Google. But let the maps thing rest for god sakes. Apple maps was conceived entirely out of spite, it was rushed out the door, and it still sucks several months after release.

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Sadly he only lasted a day.

They told him to go to Mark Zuckerberg's office for a meeting, and he ended up in Oakland.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
I think they're probably hiring him because he knows a lot about iOS, and also probably because he's available.

This is a case of Facebook wanting to pick up some iOS knowledge for cheap, pretty much. It has nothing to do with maps.

I mean, Facebook isn't that dumb, are they?

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
A blunder that big meant people had to take the fall, and he was one of them.

It seems unfair to blame it all on him. We don't know what went on behind the scenes, who was the real culprit, and who got thrown under the bus.

This is not the first time Apple has bitten off more they can chew. Cough...MobileMe....Cough.

I think this probably went much higher than even Forstall. Sadly we may never know the truth.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Google won. Apple is awesome, they do awesome things, but Google won the maps battle before Apple even entered the ring. There are so many other angles to compete on where Apple or Facebook could actually gain an edge over Google. But let the maps thing rest for god sakes. Apple maps was conceived entirely out of spite, it was rushed out the door, and it still sucks several months after release.

... Google has been doing this for eight times as long as Apple. It'd be shocking if Apple had already surpassed them in content.

Technology wise, you're wrong, plain and simple. Google's mapping services are bulky and dog slow. They have to load individual prerenderedimages tiles for every zoom level when you're in top down view, and don't even get me started on how stupid their street view implementation is from a resource perspective (or UI perspective.) Apple's vector based maps + flyover put Google maps to shame.

I'm in the US, so my mileage may be different from yours, but I find the content to be acceptable. It hasn't been wrong yet, but there's some things that it doesn't have (like public transit routes... That's by far the biggest reason I have Google Maps installed on my iPhone, although to be honest, I memorized the major routes over a year ago and I rarely need to take any minor routes.)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I'm in the US, so my mileage may be different from yours, but I find the content to be acceptable. It hasn't been wrong yet, but there's some things that it doesn't have (like public transit routes... That's by far the biggest reason I have Google Maps installed on my iPhone, although to be honest, I memorized the major routes over a year ago and I rarely need to take any minor routes.)

I think Apple should take advantage of opportunities for crowdsourcing. Supply some data to maps, and get some credit on the iTunes store. For example, an iOS app that lets you check the street name and add house numbers / businesses / other things where you are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.