Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LFMNX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
Airport Extreme - 20 device environment typical or repeating users

I am interested in what the pros / cons are of using short vs long DHCP lease times. What are the conveniences or inconveniences or security concerns if any or performance concerns. Real world experiences.

The default is 1 day in the airport extreme. I occasionally look at it too see a 24 hour footprint of what devices have been active.

I really have not problem to solve other than to better understand it. I could see if you had a coffee shop with hundreds of users coming or going that you would not want to tie up hundreds of IP addresses for days so I am thinking there must be some relationship here.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Long lease times tie up IP addresses.

If you have no issue with a shortage of IP addresses, set them as long as you like.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Airport Extreme - 20 device environment typical or repeating users

I am interested in what the pros / cons are of using short vs long DHCP lease times. What are the conveniences or inconveniences or security concerns if any or performance concerns. Real world experiences.

The default is 1 day in the airport extreme. I occasionally look at it too see a 24 hour footprint of what devices have been active.

I really have not problem to solve other than to better understand it. I could see if you had a coffee shop with hundreds of users coming or going that you would not want to tie up hundreds of IP addresses for days so I am thinking there must be some relationship here.

Depends on your personal situation. Is your network stable ? Are there daily/hourly changes in devices being plugged in or removed ?

I have 30+ devices that don't change from day to day with only 2 users. So I assign addresses through the AE DHCP function to about 25 of them. This helps with troubleshooting if needed and slightly improves access times. But I still haven't extended the lease time beyond 24 hours as there is no real reason to change it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.