Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cambox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
omnipresent
If Apple are indeed going to continue with their own software they need to make a statement to that fact. No one can believe that Apple are now serious about their software, the writings on the wall and its about time people woke up to this.

Apple make hardware and their own OS to service THEIR hardware, they did make software but are obviously making an exit from this. A few have said that software companies obviously make more updates and versions as they are software companies only.. Exactly! Apple did make some fab software but its old and flaky and not current. Do you want the list?

Wake up and make provision to move libraries of data as you will be left using outdated software and in some cases hardware (Mac Pro). I love apple but enough is enough.

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
If Apple are indeed going to continue with their own software they need to make a statement to that fact. No one can believe that Apple are now serious about their software, the writings on the wall and its about time people woke up to this.

Apple make hardware and their own OS to service THEIR hardware, they did make software but are obviously making an exit from this. A few have said that software companies obviously make more updates and versions as they are software companies only.. Exactly! Apple did make some fab software but its old and flaky and not current. Do you want the list?

Wake up and make provision to move libraries of data as you will be left using outdated software and in some cases hardware (Mac Pro). I love apple but enough is enough.

Agreed on this. I bought in on iWork '08 to use for light Office use and to keep track of the household finances with Numbers. The iCloud-centricity of iWork '09 is fine as long as you never want or need to leave the Apple ecosystem. I know I could export documents for mailing etc but this is a pain and soon gives rise to version control problems.

Whilst MS Office '11 for mac is a bit bloaty and takes much longer to load up than Numbers '08 the Skydrive functionality is pretty impressive in terms of sharing, browsing docs from the iOS Skydrive app etc. If the next itteration of Mac Office goes 'Skydrive first' as Office 2013 for Windows has then I'm switching outright.

I'm still using the email, calendaring and Photostream functions of iCloud as my account and usage goes back to the .Mac days with Tiger. Between Microsoft's Skydrive/Office and Google's fantastic iOS Maps and YouTube applications Apple is starting to look a little behind the times. I've high hopes that iWork will take a 'great leap forward' and be less Apple eco system bound and that Apple can come up with a Google Now competitor. Time will tell.

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
I still hate it, that you can't drag a photo from Finder into an event. iPhoto imports the photo, takes you to 'last import', you have to go to the new event, cut the photo and paste it in the right event…

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Aperture 3 was released three years ago, Apple. Three. Years. Ago.

All Aperture 4 would need to implement to clean Adobe's Lightroom clock would be to add proper built-in layers support (God knows Adobe won't cannibalize Photoshop sales by adding it to Lightroom). But instead Apple puts out yet-another point release with a few performance enhancements.

Edit: For everyone complaining about Raw support for their favorite camera, Apple publishes Camera Raw updates separately from iPhoto and Aperture updates -- which is the one thing they seem to be doing right vs. Adobe Lightroom.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Still no excuse for it to not have been released yet. Adobe did so nearly two weeks ago.

Bully for Adobe. The D7100 is a very new camera. As I recall, its existence was only announced to the world in late February. This being the case, I don't really think you have grounds for complaint. Maybe Apple put more effort into testing than Adobe, which takes time.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Bully for Adobe. The D7100 is a very new camera. As I recall, its existence was only announced to the world in late February. This being the case, I don't really think you have grounds for complaint. Maybe Apple put more effort into testing than Adobe, which takes time.

Oh, don't be such an Apple apologist. It's doesn't flatter you. Given that I want to be able to edit in RAW I d'led the LR4 trial. It works fine with the D7100's RAW files so I don't know what Apple could do to better test them than Adobe did. It's a RAW file. Either a program can read it or not. I haven't noticed any bugs in LR's treatment of the the files.

Face it, Apple is slow on this one. Sure it's a new camera, but it's a popular one, in many hands now. Apple could have released sooner if it wanted but clearly it's not a priority.

Hopefully support will be available by the time the 30 day trial expires. I don't really want to switch to LR as I've invested a lot of time in Aperture and like the work flow.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Oh, don't be such an Apple apologist. It's doesn't flatter you. Given that I want to be able to edit in RAW I d'led the LR4 trial. It works fine with the D7100's RAW files so I don't know what Apple could do to better test them than Adobe did. It's a RAW file. Either a program can read it or not. I haven't noticed any bugs in LR's treatment of the the files.

Face it, Apple is slow on this one. Sure it's a new camera, but it's a popular one, in many hands now. Apple could have released sooner if it wanted but clearly it's not a priority.

Hopefully support will be available by the time the 30 day trial expires. I don't really want to switch to LR as I've invested a lot of time in Aperture and like the work flow.

Now you're being silly. Interpreting RAW data isn't just a matter of reading a file.

So you want Apple to jump like a frog because you have your hands on a newly released camera and you want OS X to interpret its unique RAW format because that's the way you want to work and you happen to have it in your hands now?

How about I don't want to be bugged by your camera raw update and others appearing as a download as soon as a new camera appears on the market?

You're dead right your camera is not a priority for Apple. But they will get around to it soon enough.

jms969

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Supported by Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 4.05*

Fujifilm X20
Fujifilm X100S
Fujifilm X-E1
Fujifilm X-Pro1

Seriously??? No Nikon D7100 support???

Come on Apple, I am moving to Lightroom...

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003

How many raw updates does Adobe release per year and how many does Apple release? Adobe might be on average a few weeks faster but even Adobe does not release new updates every month (which they could if it were a priority for them).

Here is an old list of raw support updates from Apple: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Aperture_(software)&oldid=332377765#Raw_support_history, if you are convinced that Adobe is much faster, it should be easy for you to wip up a comparison when Adobe added support for these and how Apple should on average three times as long as Apple.

Last edited:

PastFuture

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
Germany
39 comments?! It's really sad to see that there are only so few people rooting for an update to Aperture left on this forum.

Then again, maybe all the others have already moved on.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
So you want Apple to jump like a frog because you have your hands on a newly released camera and you want OS X to interpret its unique RAW format because that's the way you want to work and you happen to have it in your hands now?...

You're dead right your camera is not a priority for Apple. But they will get around to it soon enough.

Jump like a frog? Heck I'd settle for run like an 80 y.o. man. Look, Adobe has been, there, done that, so what I expect as a consumer is for Apple to match its competitors at least within a week. To suggest Apple will "get around to it," is a rather arrogant position, even for Apple. Or maybe it just doesn't have the talent in this field it once had to be able to push out a simple RAW update.

If, as you say, my camera... and everyone else's, is not a priority for Apple then it needs to get out of the prosumer photo editing business and let us customers move on (not that we aren't getting the hint even now). I use Aperture because of trust in Apple, but when it drags its feet like this (again using Adobe as the benchmark) it's like its send users a message with middle finger fully outstretched as others are folded in.

It's not just me, sorry. There are tons of D7100 users out there waiting on Apple, and tons of other camera users waiting every time a new camera is released.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Here is an old list of raw support updates from Apple:

Operative word here is old. This is all several years old when Aperture was better than or at least on par w/ LR. I'm talking recent history.

I'm not alone here in my frustation w/ Apple's handling of Aperture. Scott Bourne is a professional photographer, unlike me, but also a huge Apple fan, as I am. Here is his frustration with Apple and Aperture. He did eventually switch to LR4.

gusnyc

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
New York City
Yes, I like Aperture, but I think it just fell from Apple's radar. I am glad this update helps with the performance, but something like auto-stitching and lens correction would be great.

Like somebody said, Aperture 3 was launched 3 years ago. I think it is ready for a big overhaul.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Apple ... needs to get out of the prosumer photo editing business and let us customers move on.

Cheerio, then. I'm sure you'll be sorely missed by the OS X development team. But probably not enough that they'll throw in the towel!

Seriously, any sensible update policy has to bundle up changes so that users don't get bugged by a constant drip-feed of changes. That's life, I'm afraid. Your moaning won't change Apple's release schedule, so you'd be better off putting your energy into other things.

My D800 hasn't been out that long, but I was not daft enough to buy it as soon as it appeared on the market. I gave it a bit of time for a) the price to drop and b) get mainstream support from the likes of Apple.

jms969

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Now you're being silly. Interpreting RAW data isn't just a matter of reading a file.

So you want Apple to jump like a frog because you have your hands on a newly released camera and you want OS X to interpret its unique RAW format because that's the way you want to work and you happen to have it in your hands now?

How about I don't want to be bugged by your camera raw update and others appearing as a download as soon as a new camera appears on the market?

It is the exact format as the D5200, it should have been a trivial update, not only is Aperture problematic but all of the other apps that rely on Apple's Camera Raw are broken as well. I dumped Aperture like the rotten apple that it is and switched to LR. One last nail in Apple's coffin with regard to my business...

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
It is the exact format as the D5200, it should have been a trivial update, not only is Aperture problematic but all of the other apps that rely on Apple's Camera Raw are broken as well. I dumped Aperture like the rotten apple that it is and switched to LR. One last nail in Apple's coffin with regard to my business...

No, it's not. The sensor are different, for one thing, as will be other camera metadata. But you're missing the point: Apple roll up camera raw updates for new devices in batches, just like they (and plenty of other companies) do with other kinds of software updates.

I'm happy for you that you are happy with LR. I really am. As for myself, I dumped LR and moved to Aperture. Is that one last nail in Adobe's coffin? Hardly.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Seriously, any sensible update policy has to bundle up changes so that users don't get bugged by a constant drip-feed of changes. That's life, I'm afraid. Your moaning won't change Apple's release schedule, so you'd be better off putting your energy into other things.

Drip feed of changes? We are talking about a RAW update, not MS like weekly bug fixes. BTW Apple did release a RAW update yesterday, but for Fuji cameras released in Feb.

Clearly Apple has no regard for customers so releases when it pleases. A company like Adobe, who's profits are all but tied to graphic business has to be more aggressive here. But I find your lemming-like excuses for Apple amusing. Personally, and I've been using Apple products since '88, I view companies as a consumer, not a friend. Companies exist to make profit, and to make profit they need to keep customers satisfied w/i reason. It's not unreasonable to expect an update when other competitors have done the same, no?

I'm still sticking w/ Aperture b/c it's paid for, but its obvious Apple isn't sure it wants to be in this business anymore, but also doesn't want to close the door either.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Drip feed of changes? We are talking about a RAW update, not MS like weekly bug fixes. BTW Apple did release a RAW update yesterday, but for Fuji cameras released in Feb.

Exactly. And if you noticed, the RAW update applied to several models of camera, in one hit. Can you imagine how mind-bogglingly tedious it would be for all of us if each of those updates came individually as soon as every one became available internally within Apple. Perhaps you'd find that process as amusing as my comments.

It is absolutely not reasonable to expect Apple to update camera RAW on the same day as Adobe, or before. If they rushed things out faster than Adobe, would you go onto Adobe's site and start whining that they are not keeping up with Apple? You're just not being logical.

In the meantime, the hundreds of thousands of Aperture users who don't go racing off to get a camera as soon as they can get their hands on one, carry on with life as normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.