Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Tested during a phone call. Slower than the speeds I get while not in a call but way faster than the almost unusable throttling that AT&T seems to be doing during calls these days for some reason.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 97

BarkingGhost

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2011
Atlanta+35 miles
On Saturday I bought two TMo iPhone 5 handsets from a local TMo store. I've never seen any indicator at the top of the screen for me to infer whether I am on a GSM, UMTS or 'something else' type of network.
OK, I figured it out. I had to disable wifi for the network type indicator to reveal what it was (4G).
These are unlocked phones (I think, but I'm not a handset guy). Anyone got any idea? Also, I suppose unless I hard shut off wifi connectivity the speedtest.net app might not be using cellular data.

Attachments

• SpeedTest_iP5_TMo4G.PNG
    SpeedTest_iP5_TMo4G.PNG
    79 KB · Views: 936

EstaVidaLoca

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
The new iPhone 5 w/ AWS support does as long as you have the T-Mobile carrier update applied.

Still won't make much difference if you don't have the phone with 1700/2100 MHz bands. I applaud the refarming of the 1900 MHz band but there is still quite a bit of work to do.

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
These speed test snapshots are as useful as peak hp ratings on a dyno chart. They don't tell u the whole story.

Bottom line if you're AT&T or Verizon on an lte city which is pretty much everywhere and you go to a non lte city like Seattle, you are going to experience inferior performance period. When I was with Verizon paying Verizon money, nearly every time I needed lots of data it was on demand and available.

With tmobile, even if you get 20mbs at some time of day on a given day of week, it is really hit or miss. Like I wouldn't be confident loading up my watch ESPn sports cast with tmob. Verizon was good all day everyday but you pay the price.

Until tmobile expands its lte network to measure up with the big networks, you 4g only customers will experience less than ideal performance on your i5s. Period.

These speed tests are totally ymmv. Get the phone and try it yourself. Tmob charges less cuz it has to. They'd charge you more of they could pls believe.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
These speed test snapshots are as useful as peak hp ratings on a dyno chart. They don't tell u the whole story.

Bottom line if you're AT&T or Verizon on an lte city which is pretty much everywhere and you go to a non lte city like Seattle, you are going to experience inferior performance period. When I was with Verizon paying Verizon money, nearly every time I needed lots of data it was on demand and available.

With tmobile, even if you get 20mbs at some time of day on a given day of week, it is really hit or miss. Like I wouldn't be confident loading up my watch ESPn sports cast with tmob. Verizon was good all day everyday but you pay the price.

Until tmobile expands its lte network to measure up with the big networks, you 4g only customers will experience less than ideal performance on your i5s. Period.

These speed tests are totally ymmv. Get the phone and try it yourself. Tmob charges less cuz it has to. They'd charge you more of they could pls believe.
I have T-Mobile and my wife has verzion, there is nothing that she can do on her iPhone that I can't. I'm able to test both side by side. The T-Mobile experience 3omths or a year ago, is night and day different experience.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC

Ymmv with LTE as well so I have to disagree. As someone who still owns an iPhone 5 on Verizon as well as the new one on T-Mobile. I'm getting consistently good data speeds all over the city with the T-Mobile iPhone and the speeds are pretty much equal to what I get with LTE on Verizon. Even better than Verizon at my house where LTE only gets around 5mbps down.

Main difference and the primary reason that I switched is the lack of an unlimited data option on Verizon. I don't feel comfortable streaming videos or anything knowing that I'm at risk of adding several dollars in overages to my phone bill (either that or add about $40 to it to increase the data allotment). I like my cell bill to be a set price every month. Amazing LTE network, too bad that if you're not grandfathered into unlimited data you can barely use it.

I'll take the trade off of not having high-speed data out in the boonies for the ability to use the iPhone like it was meant to be used with unlimited data. An iPhone where you have to constantly monitor your data usage is less than ideal in my opinion. Also good luck trying to talk+surf on Verizon. No more "I need to check something on the internet real quick let me call you back". The bill being cheaper is just an added side benefit as the cost wasn't too big a deal with Verizon for me.

I can't speak on AT&T LTE performance as I haven't been with them since the 4S but looking at their website it appears they do not offer unlimited data either. They also throttle their customers to death who attempt to talk/surf at the same time.

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
again who cares about speeds if when you load YouTube or a streaming audio app it lags when on the other service it doesn't? Lte on Verizon is a superior experience to a non lte city tmobile. I am in Seattle and had ample time to compare both on i5. I was watching clear as day soccer streams on vzw whereas with tmobile I just don't as its unpredictable.

You get what you pay for.

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
again who cares about speeds if when you load YouTube or a streaming audio app it lags when on the other service it doesn't? Lte on Verizon is a superior experience to a non lte city tmobile. I am in Seattle and had ample time to compare both on i5. I was watching clear as day soccer streams on vzw whereas with tmobile I just don't as its unpredictable.

You get what you pay for.

Not true my man. A year or two ago I'd agree! But TMO has really changed and does have really speedy data, whether LTE or HSPA+. VZW to me is just a joke, no more unlimited data and if your grandfathered in and want to upgrade you loose your unlimited data? That's a joke considering here in NYC if you go three steps underground you loose all VZW connections completely, where TMO will still have data and a cell signal pretty much deep into my basement.

In a year VZW will have lost many many customers because of they're practice skills and the notion that TMO continues to get better every day...Sad but true man

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Still won't make much difference if you don't have the phone with 1700/2100 MHz bands. I applaud the refarming of the 1900 MHz band but there is still quite a bit of work to do.

Yes, but like I said it does support HSPA+42 on the new iPhone. And the new phones don't matter if the area has been refarmed or not.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

You sound like a Verizon commercial:D

solace

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2006
Yes, but like I said it does support HSPA+42 on the new iPhone. And the new phones don't matter if the area has been refarmed or not.

only on ones bought from T-Mobile though right? not on previously owned ulnocked iPhone 5 (GSM)'s?

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
only on ones bought from T-Mobile though right? not on previously owned ulnocked iPhone 5 (GSM)'s?

Yes, only the T-Mobile one or the ones sold a the Apple Store that have the new 1700/2100 listed on the bottom of the box (these have only been sold since the 12th).

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
LTE or NOT, it all depends on the coverage, there are states where there is Verizon coverage, there are states there is coverage from ATT same applicable to t-mobile.

Last edited by a moderator:

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
I guess you have never used HSPA+42 on T-Mobile then.

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
Like I said I have a tmobile iphone5. I know what I'm getting with it and lte ain't one of them right now.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Like I said I have a tmobile iphone5. I know what I'm getting with it and lte ain't one of them right now.

What? So you aren't getting LTE. OK? Areas with HSPA+42 on T-Mobile can actually provide higher speeds than we are seeing with T-Mobile's current LTE rollout.

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
Don't fall for marketing hype. Vzw lte is the ****.

solace

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2006
I guess you have never used HSPA+42 on T-Mobile then.

still doen't quite touch this AT&T LTE result i got the other week in Minnesota:

:D

Attachments

• Image from Tweetbot - 3_20_13  7-26 PM.png
    Image from Tweetbot - 3_20_13 7-26 PM.png
    563.1 KB · Views: 105

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
My speed test this morning in Miami (S. Florida). I believe this is not LTE, but HSPA+. I have the new tmobile iPhone 5.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366241793.491649.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.