Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Please none of this WII rubbish.. Just classic gaming with a controller, I don't game instead of going to the gym, I want to do both at different times.

Battlefront, rogue squadron, empire at war, force unleashed, KOTOR.. Think they were all made by lucasarts (some with external studios)

I mentioned the Wii U - no motion, but imaginative use of the touchpad screen...

Wigui

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2013
Oh Disney..

Oh Disney, did you just buy the Lucasfilm to shut down Lucas Arts? Anyways, I'm a fan of Star Wars games, and this news.. makes me :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
Does this mean no KOTOR III?:(:rolleyes:

SWTOR is free2play now. It's actually really good. Has gone through a little revival.

The Jedi Knight Story and Sith Warrior storylines are both heavily featurepackeds towards a KOTOR 3ish experience.

No, it's nothing like a real KOTOR3, but its pretty damn good. give it a try.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
SWTOR is free2play now. It's actually really good. Has gone through a little revival.

The Jedi Knight Story and Sith Warrior storylines are both heavily featurepackeds towards a KOTOR 3ish experience.

No, it's nothing like a real KOTOR3, but its pretty damn good. give it a try.

Played the 15-lvl trial, got to lvl 14 and never came back. Couldn't be bothered to boot Windows and play what is essentially an imitation of wow but in star wars world. And I am a huge KOTOR fan and SW in general.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Star wars Battlefront was amazing... but if they close down the studios there wont be any more sequels :( :( :(

Don't panic games often move developers using a series, I have worked on 4 series that have swapped developers between games at one point or another.

BioShock
DeusEx
Batman Arkham
Tropico

Also Star Wars Battlefront was never developed by Lucas Arts :) it was always by a third party developer. Additionally depending on the game in the series they swapped developers. Pandemic and Rebellion have both developed games in the Battlefront series and before the studio shuttered Free Radical were working on one as well.

So don't fear if the game is good enough for a sequel Lucas Arts dev not existing should not stop it from being made!

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Sad but inevitable. LucasArts used to be an imaginative games company, particularly their SCUMM based games, the best example of which has to be Sam and Max Hit the Road, but since they concentrated on just the Star Wars franchise, they've become stale.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
Played the 15-lvl trial, got to lvl 14 and never came back. Couldn't be bothered to boot Windows and play what is essentially an imitation of wow but in star wars world. And I am a huge KOTOR fan and SW in general.

You give WoW too much credit, as it's also just an imitation of EQ. SWTOR is just plays like a standard MMO.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
You give WoW too much credit, as it's also just an imitation of EQ. SWTOR is just plays like a standard MMO.

Maybe, never played EQ.
So, flightpaths, grey-white-green-blue-purple item color codes, take quest -> kill 10 mobs, instances and BGs, etc, etc are standard in all MMOs?

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Maybe, never played EQ.
So, flightpaths, grey-white-green-blue-purple item color codes, take quest -> kill 10 mobs, instances and BGs, etc, etc are standard in all MMOs?

Pretty much yes, for the ones using the sandbox model, at least. Haven't played SWTOR yet, but judging by my long WoW experience, leveling is not that important. If you want to really know the game, you should try the endgame part (raids etc). Then you'll really know if it does worth your time, or not. Usually, in those MMOs, leveling is a dull and repetitive process, just to get you to the real goods at max level.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Pretty much yes, for the ones using the sandbox model, at least. Haven't played SWTOR yet, but judging by my long WoW experience, leveling is not that important. If you want to really know the game, you should try the endgame part (raids etc). Then you'll really know if it does worth your time, or not. Usually, in those MMOs, leveling is a dull and repetitive process, just to get you to the real goods at max level.

I know, I'm a semi-hardcore raider myself =)

But I got bored of SWTOR pretty quick, maybe I'm just tired of the genre

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I know, I'm a semi-hardcore raider myself =)

But I got bored of SWTOR pretty quick, maybe I'm just tired of the genre

Oh I read you loud and clear on that. I'm too tired of the genre, too. I now got what you meant with "another WoW". Come to think of it, that's probably the reason I haven't played it myself yet.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
I never understood why they never released Monkey Island 2 SE for the Mac. Poor sales of the first episode, I assume, or perhaps the first sign of the end of Lucasarts...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.