Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
32 at least

Apps and games are getting fatter. Take a universal app that supports all screen resolutions. That's a whole stack of different artwork at different resolutions embedded in the app, munching your space.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I went for the 16 GB version. I thought this would be enough as I have a 64 GB iPod touch bu it isn't nearly enough space. I intend to get a 64 GB version next week. I might even spring for the cellular version although I'm not sure if I need it as I'm tethering my phone to my ipad at the moment and it works pretty well.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Base model storage can be sufficient.

For example, the only third party apps I use are Netflix, TuneIn Radio, SkySafari Pro, and MotionX GPS HD.

These, along with iBooks and the built-in Apps and services, provide the experience I'm looking for.

In my case, the extra money was better spent on the cellular model. YMMV

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I have a 16GB iPad 4, but I don't use alot of apps and I utilize Dropbox and iTunes Match as well which saves me space. If you plan on storing music on your device as well as plenty apps then definitely get a 32.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
32gb

i'm ordering a Mini either tonight or tomorrow, and i've been debating between the 16GB version and the 32GB version. I've never owned an iPad before, but I'd primarily use it for the web, music, and apps. One thing I do plan on getting is both Numbers and Pages for college, and I imagine that they will take a fair share of space up. The 32GB is nice, but it's an extra $100. I suppose I could get it, but if i do I would pass up on this keyboard and possibly a cheap case. I do understand there is online storage, but is it possible to store an app somewhere when I don't use it, and have it not take up memory from the device? I am leaning towards the 16GB right now, but I'm not 100% sure. Thanks!

Like so many have said, 32gb is better for your situation.

Macuser1066

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2010
I got the 32G in January and I am sorry now I didn't get the 64, as I always have in the iPad 1,2,3, & 4. I aam almost out of space with podcasts, photos and music!

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
Got the 16 for my son, and added some basic apps for myself on there. No music on there as yet. Since I like the ipad enough to eventually get another strictly for me, I will buy the cellular model 32 GBs. I think you can get away with 16GB if you buy new ones everytime they come out. If you intend on keeping it for sometime, I'd suggest a 32.

MauerFan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Got the 16 for my son, and added some basic apps for myself on there. No music on there as yet. Since I like the ipad enough to eventually get another strictly for me, I will buy the cellular model 32 GBs. I think you can get away with 16GB if you buy new ones everytime they come out. If you intend on keeping it for sometime, I'd suggest a 32.

I got the 16 for now, but once I upgrade (should be out of college by then + job) I'll definitely get 32gb

Tony0693

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2013
I'm running the apps you mentionned on a 16gb mini and I'm having no problems with storage. When i watch a tv show its usually on a streaming service like netflix or if i do download it, I just delete the show afterwards. Same goes for movies. :)

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
I've got a 32GB phone and even with loads of apps and music it still has 11GB free..

I'm buying a new iPad tomorrow and I'll probably trump for a 16GB too this time - I'll probably upgrade it when a retina version of the mini or the re design 5 drops (at this stage I haven't decided which iPad to buy yet).

renem111

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2013
i had a 16gb and a 64gb i pad 2 ... 16 for me was too small and 64 too big... so the next will be 32gb ... i would say 32gb would be a good size to use :)

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
In the past I thought 16GB seems enough for me but apps with data grows overtime and not have much space for pictures and videos I went with 32GB I am happy now. :apple:

Kinin2020

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2013
16 is perfect for me. Lots of apps, though very low number of games. Works out fine for me, i have couple of gigz of pics and music too. Still six gb is free.

HTH

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Just buy the bigger you can afford.
Storage space is never enough on a multimedia device (I own a 16 gb iPad 4 as you can see in my sign).

Mooey

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2007
I went with 16GB and it will be here tomorrow. Most of my storage use is Cloud-based so 16GB made sense. Music on Spotify, movies through Netflix / Hulu, documents on Google Docs / Dropbox, notes on Everclear.

Outside of that, I will probably just use the rest of it for a few games, which is pretty much what I use my iPod Touch for.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Unless you just crawled from a rock and are new to Apple and the iTunes Appstore 16gb should do fine otherwise if you are like me an appaholic than 32gb would be a better buy.

MauerFan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Unless you just crawled from a rock and are new to Apple and the iTunes Appstore 16gb should do fine otherwise if you are like me an appaholic than 32gb would be a better buy.

Haha, own a MacBook, new to the iPad world. went with 16 GB, and absolutely love it. Next time around will definitely be 32 GB, but money wise 16 was the best option.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Haha, own a MacBook, new to the iPad world. went with 16 GB, and absolutely love it. Next time around will definitely be 32 GB, but money wise 16 was the best option.

I just sold my iPad 3 32gb and have no IPad until the next gen IPad family arrives. I therefore envy you as the Ipad Mini looks so sleek and sexy. I personally hate the iPad 3 and 4 design it seems to be ageing on me. Oh what colour did you get is it a black (drool) and congrats.

MauerFan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
I just sold my iPad 3 32gb and have no IPad until the next gen IPad family arrives. I therefore envy you as the Ipad Mini looks so sleek and sexy. I personally hate the iPad 3 and 4 design it seems to be ageing on me. Oh what colour did you get is it a black (drool) and congrats.

Nah, went with white this time. I totally agree regarding the current iPads though. Ever since I got my mini the original form factor looks outdated. I just pages, and it's awesome for doing college work on!

roycemac

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2007
I have a 16. After 8 months I still have 9+ GB still available.
Myth: "Apps take up a lot of room"
Only if you're an 'App Hoarder'. Most people have a very colorful screen with hundreds (if not a thousand) apps. They typically cannot find the one I ask about and they typically only use maybe 15 of them.
Fact: Of the 16 Gb the OS is going to take a couple of GB.
I have a ton of photos, a few videos (I use the mini for business) and I have been at 9+ GB AVAILABLE since I got the thing.

Unless you are going to load it with music & movies, don't worry about memory. Dropbox is where most of your stuff should be stored anyway.

MandyAW92

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2013
It depends entirely on how much memory you use on your other devices now, if they are filled with old movies and apps then get the 32GB/64GB but if you clear the old stuff fairly regularly then the 16GB is more than enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.