Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following rumors of a new music app for iOS from Twitter last month, the company today announced the public release of the new service. The app, which is available as a free App Store download and rolling out on the web, integrates a number of existing services to give users each access to their Rdio and Spotify subscriptions, as well as previews of iTunes Store content.
The songs on Twitter #music currently come from three sources: iTunes, Spotify or Rdio. By default, you will hear previews from iTunes when exploring music in the app. Subscribers to Rdio and Spotify can log in to their accounts to enjoy full tracks that are available in those respective catalogs. We will continue to explore and add other music service providers.
twitter_music.jpg
Twitter #music is unsurprisingly based around existing Twitter services, taking advantage of Twitter trends to detect popular and emerging artists and songs and leveraging users' own follow lists and those of artists to recommend new music. ABC News has more on how the app works:
The Popular page shows you new music that's trending across Twitter while the Emerging tab shows "hidden talent found in tweets." While those two parts feed you information about what the collective Twitterverse is jamming to, the last two focus on who you follow and your personal music taste.

The Suggested tab shows artists you might like based on the artists you follow on the service and who they follow. And finally the #NowPlaying tab shows songs your friends are listening to or tweeting about. For instance, if your friend tweets that they are listening to a song by Justin Bieber, that song will show up on that page.
Twitter #music is available now in the App Store with support for users in the US, Canada, the UK, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Twitter Launches New Music App for iOS and Web

64Mario64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2013
"#music"?
Looks like Twitter's own branding scheme has been ruined by abuse from other companies :p

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Glad to see Twitter expanding into new projects. This should be very interesting, as a Spotify subscriber.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Why mention JB in the article, why?!
OT: I haven't touched Twitter once yet.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Even though it's designed to route out the hidden gems out there, we all know it'll be hijacked by the Beliebers and other such whiny 'mainstream' dross, just like Twitter itself.

incoherent1

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
I'm intrigued.

Music discovery apps are a dime a dozen, but none of them "work". I haven't found any that help me find music I like with any reliability -- if this is a way to unite those services rather than create another one, then I'm on board. If not, it'll likely just go into the bin next to a half dozen other services.

The fact that they're integrating other services like Spotify is a start, but hopefully more to come.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Even though it's designed to route out the hidden gems out there, we all know it'll be hijacked by the Beliebers and other such whiny 'mainstream' dross, just like Twitter itself.

I find Twitter incredibly useful. I don't follow anything/anyone associated with people like Bieber so I don't need to read about annoying pop stars.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
so, it's an app that pulls music from other services?

I guess it can replace 2 apps with 1?

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Must be getting hit pretty hard. It won't let me log on to my spotify account to listen to tracks on the web version.

Yeah I'm getting a hang up on the call back when I try to log in as well.

Edit: Finally managed to sign in.

Edit 2: Spotify is throwing me an unknown error when signing in now... #EA launch xD

Last edited:

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Hm. I essentially use twitter as a messaging service between my iOS world and my friends Android world.

Out of everybody I tried following, Patton Oswalt is the only person I don't personally know still on my twitter feed.

Rummaging around through tons of people trying to sell me stuff? I guess I don't understand how people have this much free time, or why they'd want to spend it like this.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I find iTunes almost impossible to use as a "discovery" tool, so I'm looking forward to trying out this alternative.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Hm. I essentially use twitter as a messaging service between my iOS world and my friends Android world.

Out of everybody I tried following, Patton Oswalt is the only person I don't personally know still on my twitter feed.

Rummaging around through tons of people trying to sell me stuff? I guess I don't understand how people have this much free time, or why they'd want to spend it like this.

The trick to keeping Twitter relevant if you follow a lot of people is to make use of lists. Every time you add someone categorize them properly into a new list (essentially a feed). I have a news/music/close friends list, all separate feeds I regular and find very useful. No rummaging required.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I guess I'm not "getting it." It appears to be nothing more than an iOS version of Apple's PING service.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Best two services for me to discover more music I like: Songza and Pandora (and Spotify Radio). Will try this one out though, can't have enough of (good) apps to find new music.

shalliday

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
The trick to keeping Twitter relevant if you follow a lot of people is to make use of lists. Every time you add someone categorize them properly into a new list (essentially a feed). I have a news/music/close friends list, all separate feeds I regular and find very useful. No rummaging required.
Very good tip. Thanks for sharing! Going to give this a try as well as the new Twitter music app and see how it goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.