Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

appgratis_icon.jpg
Over the past ten days, we've been tracking the story of AppGratis, the app discovery service that saw its app pulled from the App Store by Apple as part of the first phase of a broader crackdown on apps that could be confused with the App Store itself or which might be used to game the App Store rankings.

Following the removal of AppGratis from the App Store, CEO Simon Dawlat claimed that the service was "far from finished" and that existing users of the app could continue to receive daily deals while AppGratis works on a solution to the issue.

But as noted by TechCrunch, Apple now appears to have used yet another tool in its effort to shut down AppGratis, revoking the existing app's ability to send push notifications to users alerting them of each day's deal.
The move was reported earlier by French publication JDN which said AppGratis informed subscribers that Apple had killed notifications in an emailed newsletter. TechCrunch has obtained a copy of the email sent to (Italian) AppGratis subscribers -- the first part of which is embedded below. As well as explaining to subscribers why they haven't received a push notification from the app that morning, it urges them not to panic, and says AppGratis will be launching a daily special offers newsletter to keep them informed about app offers.
TechCrunch points to a new blog post from Dawlat outlining plans for AppGratis going forward, including new newsletters and an HTML5 web app to help skirt around Apple's App Store ban.

But while the company may be able to develop some workarounds for its services, it is clear that Apple is committed to shutting down AppGratis for iOS and is not interested in having discussions that could potentially lead to an alternative resolution.

Article Link: Apple Shuts Down Push Notifications From AppGratis

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Things are not looking good for AppGratis, Apple declared war and they own the battlefield, they've cut the "supply chain" and if need be can actually delete the app from everyone's iPhone

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Things are not looking good for AppGratis, Apple declared war and they own the battlefield, they've cut the "supply chain" and if need be can actually delete the app from everyone's iPhone

They aren't going to do that, the press would kill apple if they did that.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Wow Apple is really serious about shutting it down. I suspect we'll see some sort of backlash from AppGratis. I never really got those app discovery apps anyway... That's what the App Store is for IMO.

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2011
England!

I'm not sure Apple are technically able to delete an app from everyone's iPhone :) - maybe stop new installs from iTunes, but not delete.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Wasn't Apple rumoured to have an app kill switch to fully disable/delete apps? I wonder if it'll eventually get used against AppGratis? Although, using the kill switch against an app you don't like rather than an active security threat which the kill switch is probably intended for if it does exist would set a very dangerous precedent.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
The App Store should be a totally democratic reflection of what people are buying, not defined by developers who have the deepest pockets. From what I’ve read, AppGratis were charging developers for the equivalent of clicks, thus manipulating an apps ranking. That’s not good for consumers.

bkonings

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2009
Just speculation,

I would presume the way AppGratis is handeling the situation is in violation with the appstore guidelines. Therefor apple might simply have revoked their developer key. A side effect being push-notifications no longer functioning.

All news is coming from AppGratis, not the most nuetral source.
Not that Apple would share any information on the subject.

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
Yet AppsFire got an update!

So after AppGratis was kicked out, a few days later, a similar app, AppsFire, received a minor update along with the promise of a larger one coming soon. You would think Apple would be more sensitive to other AppGratis-like apps being updated! Weird. :\

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
AppGratis gives developers an estimate of where in Apple's App Store rankings an App can land based on how much the developer is willing to pay, according to a document from the company's pitch that a source in the developer community sent us.
For example, this document shows AppGratis estimates a ~$300,000 buy will land an app in the top five slot in the US version of the App Store.

Source:

http://www.businessinsider.com/app-...p-store-rankings-to-attract-developers-2013-4

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Email notifications and WebApps are out the reach of Apple.

I'm wondering why Apple don't pull all similar apps?

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
Email notifications and WebApps are out the reach of Apple.

I'm wondering why Apple don't pull all similar apps?

I think it was because AppGratis was doing some shady behavior like manipulating app rankings while others have not.

litmag01

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
I think it was because AppGratis was doing some shady behavior like manipulating app rankings while others have not.

I agree. There is definitly something else going on here. This is unusual behavior (although not unheard of) for Apple. App Gratis was probably doing some very "special" activities.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada

Thanks - I thought others did similar too - such as App of the Day, although I know Appshopper didn't - but that still got pulled.

econgeek

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
I could see this turning into a lawsuit.

What is AppGratis going to sue Apple for? That Apple stopped their fraud?

Remember, this is a company that was gaming the ranking system by pushing crap apps to the top of the charts and charging the developers a lot of money for the service.

This activity was against apple's rules for well over a year before Apple took action.

Now its time to get rid of AppsFire too.

jjrtiger

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2008
Boulder, CO
As well as explaining to subscribers why they haven't received a push notification from the app that morning, it urges them not to panic, and says AppGratis will be launching a daily special offers newsletter to keep them informed about app offers.

panic...really?! it's an app recommendation. come on.

econgeek

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
So after AppGratis was kicked out, a few days later, a similar app, AppsFire, received a minor update along with the promise of a larger one coming soon. You would think Apple would be more sensitive to other AppGratis-like apps being updated! Weird. :\

I can certify that AppsFire is engaging in the same business practices... they wanted to charge $5,000 for our App to even *appear* in their apps.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
Wow Apple is really serious about shutting it down. I suspect we'll see some sort of backlash from AppGratis. I never really got those app discovery apps anyway... That's what the App Store is for IMO.

The App Store is not good unless you want what's for sale this week. The "Genius" feature is totally junk. If you select "not interested" it doesn't even show a replacement right away, and often keeps sending the same "suggestions" no matter how many times I ask for NEW ones.

About the only discovery is buying more apps from like developers, or looking at "customers also bought" which is almost exclusively top ten list material.

For a counter example I've been going to TouchArcade lately, because while iTunes only let's you search for "RPGs" their REVIEWERS will give guidance if you like Game A you will love game B or you won't like Game C even though its the same category.

iTunes does nothing with what games you have loaded on your iPhone now, versus what you play more often or anything... iTunes music Genius is a psychic by comparison.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
The App Store is not good unless you want what's for sale this week. The "Genius" feature is totally junk. If you select "not interested" it doesn't even show a replacement right away, and often keeps sending the same "suggestions" no matter how many times I ask for NEW ones.

About the only discovery is buying more apps from like developers, or looking at "customers also bought" which is almost exclusively top ten list material.

For a counter example I've been going to TouchArcade lately, because while iTunes only let's you search for "RPGs" their REVIEWERS will give guidance if you like Game A you will love game B or you won't like Game C even though its the same category.

iTunes does nothing with what games you have loaded on your iPhone now, versus what you play more often or anything... iTunes music Genius is a psychic by comparison.

The App Store isn't great at app discovery, but in my experiences it does better than apps like AppGratis or appshopper. But tbh it's been awhile since I've used an app like that. The UIs always seemed clunky to me.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Kudos to Apple. Why should people be allowed to use the apps they like on Apple's phones? That is like totally backwards.

/s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.