Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martosprint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
I have the new iMac with a 128 GB solid state drive for a total of 1 TB. My question is how do you find out how much space the SSD has used up? Also what actually goes onto the SSD besides the operating system? Are my browsers and third party apps on the SSD or on the platter drive? 
Thanks for a reply.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
The SSD will be filled first but leaves 4 GB for VM, after that one is filled the data will be written to the HD, but the most used files will remain on the SSD, if a file is not used anymore or less than others it will move from SSD to the HD and Data which is on the HD and used more often will be moved over to the SSD.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
My question is how do you find out how much space the SSD has used up? Also what actually goes onto the SSD besides the operating system? Are my browsers and third party apps on the SSD or on the platter drive?
Everything starts on the SSD until it is full (minus 4GB of space for "workspace"). Then stuff spills over onto the HDD. Things you don't use much will go on the HDD: things you use frequently will go onto the SSD.

However, the whole point of the Fusion Drive is that you don't need to know or care. There are all sorts of decisions that the OS makes for you about all sorts of things on your computer: this is one more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.