Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yahoo has launched a new standalone iPhone weather app called Yahoo! Weather, along with an upgraded version of its Yahoo! Mail app that brings the native mail app experience to the iPad.

The weather app is by far the more interesting development, receiving praise from many reviewers and users. The Verge reports that Yahoo is attempting to get a halo effect from apps like Yahoo! Weather, hoping users will try one product and love that one so much that they'll begin using other Yahoo services.
"Marissa describes it as a chain reaction," said Adam Cahan, who leads mobile products at Yahoo, in an interview with The Verge. "I would love for you to use all 12 or 15 experiences that we're going to build for. You probably won't. But if I can get you to use a few, that's success. If we do something that you really love in one product, you'll give us a chance on another product."

Yahoo Weather represents one such attempt to delight users into giving the rest of the company's products a try.
yahooweather.jpg
Last week it was reported that Apple and Yahoo were in talks to deepen their iPhone partnership, but that the two companies are some ways off from a deal. Yahoo currently powers the default iOS stocks and weather apps, as well as providing data like sports stats to Siri.

The new Yahoo! Mail for iPad is available free on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Yahoo! Weather is a free download for the iPhone. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Yahoo Launches Standalone iPhone Weather App, Brings Dedicated Mail App to iPad

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Is this an update to the stock weather app, or a stand alone app from Yahoo? Looks nice, but I still don't understand the point of weather apps. The stock one does just fine. So does looking outside at the sky.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Is this an update to the stock weather app, or a stand alone app from Yahoo? Looks nice, but I still don't understand the point of weather apps. The stock one does just fine. So does looking outside at the sky.

Apple designed the stock weather app, it just uses Yahoo for the weather data.

bostonsox

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2012
I prefer to look at the wind-chill temps which the stock app doesn't do. not sure where you are, but wind-chill changes the game sometimes in the north east.

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
The Yahoo Weather app is very well made. A keeper, in my opinion.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Amazing app...I love how it pulls down local pictures that accurately depict the weather conditions (I'm stuck in an office building all day :( ).

The UI is great; minimalistic but provides detailed info with a flick. This is the first time I've ever stopped using Apple's default weather app.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Why has it become status quo that weather apps have to use pictures of scenery in the background?

I think this trend started with HTC's weather app using rain drops and wiper blades and stuff on their Android skin. I liked it there, but it has become a bit irrelevant since then. I don't need scenery of rainy plains. I need numbers and trends, at a glance.

rmbpuser

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2012
why do people keep on making weather apps?
are so many people fools enough to use more than one? what now people have a folder named weather apps?
apples weather app works just fine, tells me the current weather and has forecasts what more do i need, seriously?

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I was just about to create a thread on this weather app after seeing it on Gizmodo. This app has replaced my previous weather app. Very beautifully designed. Simple layout with tons of information. Love it. :)

I wouldn't mind seeing this version as the stock app on iOS 7.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
are so many people fools enough to use more than one? what now people have a folder named weather apps?
apples weather app works just fine, tells me the current weather and has forecasts what more do i need, seriously?

I like to see wind direction and speed.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
The weather app is great. Until now I hadn't bothered downloading any other weather apps, but this one changed my mind. Really well made, makes Apple's own app look primitive in comparison.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
I've got too many weather apps :(

Lol, this, I think I'm at four. There's no shortage of weather apps. Weather Dial is still the best looking one U have but Take Weather is fun because you and people in your area post photos of the local weather.

Not sure that anyone would want a standalone Yahoo email app.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

More than 12 hours for an hourly forecast.

Snow accumulation. Seeing that it'll snow could mean 1" or 24" - one of those I can drive over, the other I'll have to be snow blowing the driveway 3 times during the storm to keep myself from being snowed in.

I'm okay with The Weather Channel app right now, but I'd really like to see an app that can show all the data in a more compact fashion. I have a sketch of the ideal weather app I would like, but I haven't found an API that offers everything I want and is cheap enough, yet.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I downloaded Solar (I think was the name) and it was pretty but didn't have the information I wanted. This is a slick ass app and it's replacing weatherbug for me right now.

Good work to Yahoo! devs.

vtstarck

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Does anyone know the source for Yahoo weather? Yahoo currently shows 64 for Washington, DC. The official station, DCA (the station of record) is reporting 66 - and has been for some time. Sadly, many cities are like this.

dxstewart

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
Probably just me, but I think the Sun & Moon part is kinda cool.

I'm hoping for an iPad version, just because I don't have an iPhone anymore.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
Does anyone know the source for Yahoo weather? Yahoo currently shows 64 for Washington, DC. The official station, DCA (the station of record) is reporting 66 - and has been for some time. Sadly, many cities are like this.
I think they get it from Weather.com aka The Weather Channel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.