Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satchow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
Okay this has been annoying me since I got an iPhone. When I'm on a call and I get a text message, email, notification, the phone always vibrates loudly in my ear and makes a tone. The other person can't hear it, but when I happen to get 3 notifications in a row it makes me a bit snippy.
I can hit the mute switch, but the phone still vibrates. Is there anyway to turn off the vibration only during a call easily? I don't have to have to go into settings and toggle it off every time I'm on a call.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Okay this has been annoying me since I got an iPhone. When I'm on a call and I get a text message, email, notification, the phone always vibrates loudly in my ear and makes a tone. The other person can't hear it, but when I happen to get 3 notifications in a row it makes me a bit snippy.
I can hit the mute switch, but the phone still vibrates. Is there anyway to turn off the vibration only during a call easily? I don't have to have to go into settings and toggle it off every time I'm on a call.

I don't believe there's a way to do this.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA

Not sure if this will help, but I got this from the tips section:

Phone: To stop an incoming call from ringing, press the sleep / wake button. To send the call immediately to VoiceMail, press the sleep / wake button twice.
Haven't received my 4S yet, so I'm not sure how this exactly works. I'm hoping that if you were on a call let's say, and you press on the "SLEEP/WAKE" Button twice, it would transfer the call to voicemail. Rhetorically speaking, if you were finished with that call you were on, how would you set it up to ring when the next incoming call comes in. Or maybe, it resets itself once the current call you were on terminates.

Anyway, play around with this. Maybe, it might solve your issue.

Nothlit

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
Not sure if this will help, but I got this from the tips section:

Haven't received my 4S yet, so I'm not sure how this exactly works. I'm hoping that if you were on a call let's say, and you press on the "SLEEP/WAKE" Button twice, it would transfer the call to voicemail. Rhetorically speaking, if you were finished with that call you were on, how would you set it up to ring when the next incoming call comes in. Or maybe, it resets itself once the current call you were on terminates.

Anyway, play around with this. Maybe, it might solve your issue.

Not related. That tip is for when the phone is actually ringing. If you're on the phone and a call comes it, it just beeps in your ear (and doesn't vibrate). The fact that it vibrates when an email/text/notification arrives while you're on a call annoys me, too.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Not related. That tip is for when the phone is actually ringing. If you're on the phone and a call comes it, it just beeps in your ear (and doesn't vibrate). The fact that it vibrates when an email/text/notification arrives while you're on a call annoys me, too.

Yup, and I don't mind it so much when I get one notification but, as the OP said, when you get 3 in a row it can be quite annoying.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Ha....I just happened to notice this thread and it happened to me right when I saw it (I'm browsing Forum Spy as I'm waiting on hold).

I've been annoyed by it way too many times, and have been wishing there was a way to disable it.

theperipheral

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
There is no way to "fix" this. As it's not really a big problem, you're one of the first people I've ever read complain about it, I doubt there will ever be a fix for it.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Ha....I just happened to notice this thread and it happened to me right when I saw it (I'm browsing Forum Spy as I'm waiting on hold).

I've been annoyed by it way too many times, and have been wishing there was a way to disable it.

Amen...

I can't count the number of times I've received multiple e-mails and/or texts while on the phone. It is extremely annoying and I've actually stopped a conversation more than once to tell nobody in particular to stop flipping texting!

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
It's not a big problem for you. For me, it is.:rolleyes:

Agreed - there isn't even a jailbreak tweak that does this. It doesn't seem that hard, there's a proximity sensor - don't buzz the damn phone if I've got it to my ear. Seems like day one no brainer stuff.

I would even go so far as to call it a bug.

MacBookPro13"

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2011
Ireland
I know this isn't a very practical fix but.. disable the vibrate when phone is on silent setting and when you receive/make a call, hit the silent switch.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
MacBookPro13";14180492 said:
I know this isn't a very practical fix but.. disable the vibrate when phone is on silent setting and when you receive/make a call, hit the silent switch.

Problem is that when I'm at work, I keep my phone on vibrate. So the silent switch is already on.

I guess that would be a reasonable solution for someone who doesn't keep their phone on vibrate already.

ricardolainez

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2012
I am also constantly annoyed by this problem, and I've found no real solution for it. However I did come up with two options to help alleviate this problem:

1 - Use custom vibration. I set my phone to a different vibration pattern which is much softer and discreet. At least it's slightly less annoying on your ear.

2 - As an alternative, you could set the phone to not vibrate when in silent mode (Settings > Sounds > first option) and use the silent mode switch whenever you get a call, which is fast and practical.

Anyway, if anyone has any other tip which may be useful I'll be thankful.

netwizzerd

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2009
I have to agree that this is insanely annoying, and frankly I think it's counter-intuitive from a software design perspective. I think disabling vibration and tones of all sorts while on a telephone call makes the most sense. Then, as a custom setting maybe allow people to turn them on (if for some reason you like your phone vibrating against your head while you're trying to carry on a conversation).

I would add that I have had several people on the other end of my calls say that they can hear the vibration.

For anyone who receives a lot of emails/texts/imessages, this is an annoyance.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
This is a large problem because with the iPhone 5, the person on the other end can actually hear it! They always ask me "what is that?" When I get 5 text messages in a row and file batch processing emails. It shouldn't vibrate while you're on a call!

streamhawk

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2009
I have to agree that this is insanely annoying, and frankly I think it's counter-intuitive from a software design perspective. I think disabling vibration and tones of all sorts while on a telephone call makes the most sense. Then, as a custom setting maybe allow people to turn them on (if for some reason you like your phone vibrating against your head while you're trying to carry on a conversation).

I would add that I have had several people on the other end of my calls say that they can hear the vibration.

For anyone who receives a lot of emails/texts/imessages, this is an annoyance.

Wait until you're like me and you set a lot of alarms or remainders!! Wait until the go off on your ear during a call!!! It's like your i-"PHONE" (device created mainly to talk doesn't respect when your actually trying to use it for it's main purpose!) :-/

NarlyNash

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
This is extremely annoying, so for now, I have 'vibration off' when in silent mode, and have to switch to silent when I answer a call. It's too much work, but it satisfies some of my need. The down side is, now I do not get ANY notification when I switch to silent, which defeats the purpose of silent mode for me.

Let Apple know you want them to fix this:
http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Get on the ball, Apple!

microkitten

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2013
Oh man, when my iPhone vibrates in my ear when I'm on a call, it makes me want to throw it against a wall. I submitted my feedback. It seems like such a simple toggle switch to add, I sure hope they do it.

alexblock

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2013
There is no way to "fix" this. As it's not really a big problem, you're one of the first people I've ever read complain about it, I doubt there will ever be a fix for it.

Hi guys! I was just searching around for answers about this issue. Landed on this thread and was reading through hoping for insight.

Then I saw this post by theperipheral.

Seriously, I have never used macrumors forum before. I created an account just now for the sole purpose of saying:

theperipheral,

You are a smug, diluted troll. That might be the dumbest contribution to a thread I have ever read in my life. Seriously. Man, did it stop me in my tracks. At least troll posts are worth a laugh. But you're actually one of those dead serious mac cultist neckbeards that simply must chime in for some odd reason, not comprehend-able to the average, rational and kind person.

What kind of bubble do you live in if you can't even fathom the possibility that there might be a few people out there who aren't so fond of having a phone vibrate when pushed up against one's ear?

Please, oh please, stay put in your mother's basement and go back to killing rats on Everquest instead of trolling forums with your worthless non-insights.

So, back to everyone else...

If anyone finds a fix for this, please let me know! Thanks so much!

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2012
North East US
Hi guys! I was just searching around for answers about this issue. Landed on this thread and was reading through hoping for insight.

Then I saw this post by theperipheral.

Seriously, I have never used macrumors forum before. I created an account just now for the sole purpose of saying:

theperipheral,

You are a smug, diluted troll. That might be the dumbest contribution to a thread I have ever read in my life. Seriously. Man, did it stop me in my tracks. At least troll posts are worth a laugh. But you're actually one of those dead serious mac cultist neckbeards that simply must chime in for some odd reason, not comprehend-able to the average, rational and kind person.

What kind of bubble do you live in if you can't even fathom the possibility that there might be a few people out there who aren't so fond of having a phone vibrate when pushed up against one's ear?

Please, oh please, stay put in your mother's basement and go back to killing rats on Everquest instead of trolling forums with your worthless non-insights.

So, back to everyone else...

If anyone finds a fix for this, please let me know! Thanks so much!

Just found this thread after posting about the same issue myself and searching for a fix. There doesn't seem to be one.

/[Rant on]

I'm a Blackberry convert and could probably best described as as a "business user". I decided to go with the iPhone because Blackberry apparently decided to "go iPhone" - without providing any iCloud like service (which used to be BIS and BES, now eliminated with the new BB10). So here we are. And Apple should be happy that more and more business users and corporate stiffs are joining the scores of teens and generation Y Starbucks coffee sippers by carrying around iPhones and Mac Books. And there are many reasons to like the devices and services. Some of the stuff is extremely neat and well thought out.

Other things not so much. The example in this thread is key evidence that phone use and email use on the i"phone" is merely an afterthought, catering primarily to a generation of users who don't call anyone and have moved email usage to other web based services. Which is fine but won't make any of the ex-Blackberry crowd really happy. And you want us happy because we all will have to buy new computers at some point. And we're the ones paying for all the gadgets our kids want. So better take care of our basic needs. Which for me are a) fast push emails b) a good way to manage my emails c) quick ways to adept to different situations (I'm at home, I'm in the office, I'm in a meeting, I'm in a call...). d) the occasional phone call even

Apple's not doing that well. The mail app is a pain to use with way too much clicking around to get to where you want to be. It also doesn't allow for quickly glancing at what came to your inbox and then ignoring things. The "badge" will still show x number of "unread" emails - often mails that I never will read and I have to actively click on or change to a "read" status (in a very cumbersome way) in order to set the "badge" number back to zero. Any Blackberry user will know what I mean. It's a workflow issue. Yes, it only takes a second or two. But that's an extra two seconds out of my life each time I check my mails - which comes out to a lot of seconds in a day. Let's say I check my mails 30 times a day (that's conservative) it would come out to 4 hours a year that I lost due to a mail application that's not thought through.

And now I'm finding out that I'll have to live with the buzzing during every call. And all this before I even the ridiculous battery usage or the sheer size of the iphone 5 (yes, it's too big).

alexblock

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2013
Just found this thread after posting about the same issue myself and searching for a fix. There doesn't seem to be one.

/[Rant on]

I'm a Blackberry convert and could probably best described as as a "business user". I decided to go with the iPhone because Blackberry apparently decided to "go iPhone" - without providing any iCloud like service (which used to be BIS and BES, now eliminated with the new BB10). So here we are. And Apple should be happy that more and more business users and corporate stiffs are joining the scores of teens and generation Y Starbucks coffee sippers by carrying around iPhones and Mac Books. And there are many reasons to like the devices and services. Some of the stuff is extremely neat and well thought out.

Other things not so much. The example in this thread is key evidence that phone use and email use on the i"phone" is merely an afterthought, catering primarily to a generation of users who don't call anyone and have moved email usage to other web based services. Which is fine but won't make any of the ex-Blackberry crowd really happy. And you want us happy because we all will have to buy new computers at some point. And we're the ones paying for all the gadgets our kids want. So better take care of our basic needs. Which for me are a) fast push emails b) a good way to manage my emails c) quick ways to adept to different situations (I'm at home, I'm in the office, I'm in a meeting, I'm in a call...). d) the occasional phone call even

Apple's not doing that well. The mail app is a pain to use with way too much clicking around to get to where you want to be. It also doesn't allow for quickly glancing at what came to your inbox and then ignoring things. The "badge" will still show x number of "unread" emails - often mails that I never will read and I have to actively click on or change to a "read" status (in a very cumbersome way) in order to set the "badge" number back to zero. Any Blackberry user will know what I mean. It's a workflow issue. Yes, it only takes a second or two. But that's an extra two seconds out of my life each time I check my mails - which comes out to a lot of seconds in a day. Let's say I check my mails 30 times a day (that's conservative) it would come out to 4 hours a year that I lost due to a mail application that's not thought through.

And now I'm finding out that I'll have to live with the buzzing during every call. And all this before I even the ridiculous battery usage or the sheer size of the iphone 5 (yes, it's too big).

I also switched from a Blackberry which I used over BES for work. My phone died and wasn't about to get the touch only BB. It seemed silly to lose the keyboard but not get any of the app support and cloud infrastructure that you get with iOS and android. My work doesn't support android at all, which led me to the iPhone 5.

I totally agree with you. For business use, the iPhone is basically a really expensive kid's toy. It's almost unbelievable how much this thing lacks in terms of email, calendar, contacts, profiles, notifications, customization and even basic messaging.

It really is a ground-up workflow issue. For this vibrating in your ear issue, i've had to disable vibrating all together.

The lack of an led notification light is also sorta unreal. It makes you a slave to your phone in a way that makes me want to rip my hair out. I've seen my wife become super neurotic with checking her phone since she switched from a blackberry about a year ago and didn't understand why. I'm positive this is the reason. When I'm in a meeting, watching TV, anything, I used to be able to keep so many types of messages silent and just glance across the room occasionally to see if I had a blinking light. With the iPhone, anytime it does something, I have to check the screen because I'll either forget about it if I don't and there's no way i've found to create a way of knowing if an alert is an old repeating one or a new one. If you've figured out some type of profile design that helps this, I'd appreciate any input.

I also found that there's no way to not reply-all to a group mms. you have to start a new thread. Also annoying and easy to accidentally reply to the group when you mean not to.

I've been using the notification center as sorta a consolidated inbox, but also a little annoying that you need different apps for email, reminders and text messaging.

And it goes without saying, don't get me started on the keyboard...

Anyway, I bring this stuff up because it blows my mind that so many die hard apple fans refuse to acknowledge that these are issues. And mostly just minor software issues that go a long way.

All that said, there are some apps that are pretty mind-blowing. The Mailbox App is fantastic and if it supported Enterprise, that would solve a bunch of my issues. For now, it's been a godsend for my personal gmail account.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I also switched from a Blackberry which I used over BES for work. My phone died and wasn't about to get the touch only BB. It seemed silly to lose the keyboard but not get any of the app support and cloud infrastructure that you get with iOS and android. My work doesn't support android at all, which led me to the iPhone 5.

I totally agree with you. For business use, the iPhone is basically a really expensive kid's toy. It's almost unbelievable how much this thing lacks in terms of email, calendar, contacts, profiles, notifications, customization and even basic messaging.

It really is a ground-up workflow issue. For this vibrating in your ear issue, i've had to disable vibrating all together.

The lack of an led notification light is also sorta unreal. It makes you a slave to your phone in a way that makes me want to rip my hair out. I've seen my wife become super neurotic with checking her phone since she switched from a blackberry about a year ago and didn't understand why. I'm positive this is the reason. When I'm in a meeting, watching TV, anything, I used to be able to keep so many types of messages silent and just glance across the room occasionally to see if I had a blinking light. With the iPhone, anytime it does something, I have to check the screen because I'll either forget about it if I don't and there's no way i've found to create a way of knowing if an alert is an old repeating one or a new one. If you've figured out some type of profile design that helps this, I'd appreciate any input.

I also found that there's no way to not reply-all to a group mms. you have to start a new thread. Also annoying and easy to accidentally reply to the group when you mean not to.

I've been using the notification center as sorta a consolidated inbox, but also a little annoying that you need different apps for email, reminders and text messaging.

And it goes without saying, don't get me started on the keyboard...

Anyway, I bring this stuff up because it blows my mind that so many die hard apple fans refuse to acknowledge that these are issues. And mostly just minor software issues that go a long way.

All that said, there are some apps that are pretty mind-blowing. The Mailbox App is fantastic and if it supported Enterprise, that would solve a bunch of my issues. For now, it's been a godsend for my personal gmail account.
I completely agree about LED notifications--it would be an amazing thing to have. Unfortunately for the vast majority of typical iPhone users (who are just regular people, not necessarily very tech savvy or use the phone professionally, so to say) those notifications are something they have never used on vast majority of their previous phones and wouldn't really use if the phone had them--I'd bet quite a few of them would even get confused by them unfortunately. It's a sad reality that plays into designing the phone for the masses, more or less.

As for group messaging, it seems you are saying you can't reply to all and then in the next sentence you are saying it's very easy to (accidentally) reply to the group when you don't mean to--seems like those two things kind of rule out each other based on how I read them.

I personally like having separate apps for messaging, email, reminders, calendar, etc. as I use each one for somewhat different needs and/or with different groups of people--having it all in one place for notification reasons, like the notification center, is useful, but having all the information in one app I don't think would be as useful, at least to me and a lot of others. However, of course there are people who would love it the other way, but that's the hard part about designing for everyone in general, you have to go with what's simpler and works best for the majority I guess (which is often close to the "lowest common denominator").

Out of curiosity, (notifications and customization aside, which are definitely limitations in the iOS world) what sort of things do email, calendar, contacts, and even basic messaging are lacking, as you mention early on?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.