Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apol12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
Hey guys, I bought a new imac 27" a week a go and yesterday after editing pics on CS6 I minimized it and I noticed IR on the screen.:eek:. Should I call the apple store from where I got it, cause my nearest apple store is 3 hours away... I need some advice from you guys!!!!!

Quazimojo

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
Auburn Hills,Mi
There is no guarantee the next one will not have it either so if everything else is perfect like no to little screen bleeding or no yellowing i would not waste the time as you might end up with something worse then what you have now.

Some people have image retention and others do not but it seems since all the panels are LG they are all going to exhibit some if not now then eventually.

If anything i would wait till maybe someone confirms of a new panel going into them or its been addressed some how because otherwise you could end up wasting tons of precious time for nothing and also based on your distance to the store i would not even bother at all if you are happy in all other areas.

Apol12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
There is no guarantee the next one will not have it either so if everything else is perfect like no to little screen bleeding or no yellowing i would not waste the time as you might end up with something worse then what you have now.

Some people have image retention and others do not but it seems since all the panels are LG they are all going to exhibit some if not now then eventually.

If anything i would wait till maybe someone confirms of a new panel going into them or its been addressed some how because otherwise you could end up wasting tons of precious time for nothing and also based on your distance to the store i would not even bother at all if you are happy in all other areas.

Thank for your reply bro, I will wait and see if apple addresses that problem, otherwise everything on the computer seem to work awesome.. let see what happens in the future and thanks for your advise...

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
I had it two times the first week, then never again. Check your power, do you use an APC? Make sure your getting good power, I think my IR came from a bad APC that died 2 days after seeing IR. now, new APC and have never seen it since

Blue604

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
I had it two times the first week, then never again. Check your power, do you use an APC? Make sure your getting good power, I think my IR came from a bad APC that died 2 days after seeing IR. now, new APC and have never seen it since

IR is related to APC?

Apol12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
Good point!!, yes im using a APC and i will check and try to connect it directly to the wall power outlet. Thanks bro I'll let you guys know if that helped..

LouisLeLou

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2010
Prague, Czech Republic

Is there even a guarantee that this will happen? As far as I can tell iMacs seem to have always had the capacity to suffer from image retention. Three people that I know who own iMacs (one being my dad, an iMac from 2008, and the other two from 2009/10) all experience image retention.

It seems weird that it's something that has been a possibility for so long, and has not been dealt with.

Is it just 100% down to the hardware, and there's nothing Apple can really do? I'm kind of nervous about getting my iMac, because honestly image retention would bug the hell out of me.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
No IR on my 27" 2.93GHz i7 iMac, but I did have an iPad 3 that had IR.

I would take it to a Genius Bar if possible. They should replace it if they see it, though if it's a BTO machine you're stuck waiting for it to ship.

6ftunder

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
Austria
The only place where I get mild retention is at the top of the screen which is where the toolbar is. But then a few days ago I noticed some on the left side of the screen and it was baffling to me until I read somewhere that IR is connected to the heat of the display and realised that the lamp I have right next to my iMac gets extremely hot and also transfers a lot of the heat to the left side of my iMac's housing, so I assume that it was causing that IR. I replaced that lamp with a LED lamp so I'll see if the IR continues to show up. I never notice it in a daily use, but when I work on a dark grey background like all Adobe's programs, I can see a light blue stripe - only on the left side of the screen.

Apol12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
Hey guys, I bought a new imac 27" a week a go and yesterday after editing pics on CS6 I minimized it and I noticed IR on the screen.:eek:. Should I call the apple store from where I got it, cause my nearest apple store is 3 hours away... I need some advice from you guys!!!!!

APC is good, but IR still showing.. no good!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.