Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Little Inferno is from the makers of World of Goo (on my list of the best 10 games I've ever played) and was just unlocked... So I'm thinking I'll probably buy this :)

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
I would not recommend CleanMyMac or its variants, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. Here's a recent example. While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx.
Even those free tools clean up too much. You need to know what it is they are doing and why you'd want it or not. Onyx also cleans too much, especially if you use the "clean obsolete items" option. Only use these tools when you are having problems and only let them run the built in scripts that OS X uses to keep the system clean and fresh combined with cleaning caches (that usually fixes numerous vague problems).

The reason why the above mentioned tools messed up an entire system is not the apps fault, it's the users fault. The tools are simply way too powerful for the average user to use. These are tools for the advanced. If you have no idea what it does, what the options in the app mean then simply stay away from it. Without proper knowledge it is highly likely you'll mess up your system (usually a reinstall or a restore from backup resolves it so it isn't the end of the world nor your Mac).

Anyway, this is one of the very few bundles from MacHeist I actually find somewhat useful. However, MacHeist always seems to have a catch regarding the licenses. Usually they are outdated versions or they will be in the very near future (aka there is an upcoming release) and you get a license that is not upgradable to the newer version. I wonder if that has changed yet. Anyone?

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
Anyway, this is one of the very few bundles from MacHeist I actually find somewhat useful. However, MacHeist always seems to have a catch regarding the licenses. Usually they are outdated versions or they will be in the very near future (aka there is an upcoming release) and you get a license that is not upgradable to the newer version. I wonder if that has changed yet. Anyone?

Last Macheist bundle I bought had Scrivener, Tuneup for Itunes, and 15 months of Evernote Premium, not counting 20 other apps and games I am not naming at the moment.

Zero problems so far updates on any of them.

Only thing I am aware of is that unlike sites like Stacksocial, Macheist states they do not keep your serials on hand forever. So I made a pdf copy and have it upload to both my dropbox and skydrive for backup.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Is it useful on Snow Leopard? Most of these little developments are 10.8 only where the major big studios still deliver for 10.6

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Is it useful on Snow Leopard? Most of these little developments are 10.8 only where the major big studios still deliver for 10.6

Path Finder works on SL. I checked for you and xScope, iStopMotion, and Totals are the only ones that don't work on Snow Leopard. But the serial for iStopMotion should work on the older version. Totals has been around for awhile, and you can probably get them to give you a download to the older version that works. All these developers are very good at trying to get their stuff working for everyone.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Working great here too. Path Finder should be unlocked in the next hour.

EDIT: Path Finder now unlocked! :D

I'm surprised at how quickly they broached the 30k mark to unlock pathfinder but I'm happy. This is the primary reason why I took the plunge and bought bundle.

grigoriso

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2009

blanka, the version of Path Finder that appears on the nanoBundle download page is the Lion version, which is NOT compatible with Snow Leopard, but the activation code DOES work with the Snow Leopard version of Path Finder 6, which you can find on Cocatech's homepage.

----------

There is one remaining unrevealed window on the MacHeist page; any guesses?

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Can't wait to get home and try Path Finder, I've been really wanting a good file manager for OS X and Finder just does not fit the bill.

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011

No, no, and no. MacHeist has always provided full licenses for the paid bundles. Now, some of the free apps that are rewards for solving the puzzles, those are sometimes limited releases. Apples and oranges.

All bundles, everywhere, since the first bundle of any kind was ever thought of, have always been timed in such a way that, there are usually new versions of the apps coming out in the not-too-distant future. This is how all Mac software bundles on the entire planet earth work, not just the ones from MacHeist. And guess what? That's because the software developers themselves want it that way. It's a way to generate revenue with the older software before launching the new one. That's a general bundle issue, not specific to MacHeist.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
No, no, and no. MacHeist has always provided full licenses for the paid bundles. Now, some of the free apps that are rewards for solving the puzzles, those are sometimes limited releases. Apples and oranges.

All bundles, everywhere, since the first bundle of any kind was ever thought of, have always been timed in such a way that, there are usually new versions of the apps coming out in the not-too-distant future. This is how all Mac software bundles on the entire planet earth work, not just the ones from MacHeist. And guess what? That's because the software developers themselves want it that way. It's a way to generate revenue with the older software before launching the new one. That's a general bundle issue, not specific to MacHeist.

Courier was in the last bundle, and that one was frozen.

And that's somewhat true. There are some apps from the Leopard days where the serial still works on the latest version that you can get from the developer's website. But there are apps like Radium that don't.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
You are completely misunderstanding my concern. It is not about having a full license or not, it is about the upgrade path and only the upgrade path. In the beginning you got license codes that gave you a full version but limited you in upgrades. In some cases you had no right to upgrade, in another case you only got a discount, another developer gave you a free upgrade. There have also been license codes that were the same for all MacHeist users. This caused a lot of problems in the past. I've actually ran into the upgrading issue with several software bundles, not only MacHeist (so you are wrong about the limitations of the licenses, there were limitations in the past!). In case of MacHeist those strange licenses made me stop buying anything from them. Since this was a few years back I asked to see if that situation changed and it has.

I've not bought this bundle after testing the software and comparing it to what I'm using on my Macs, how I use it, etc. because I couldn't find much benefits. I thought Path Finder would be very useful but I like Forklift, Finder and the commandline much better (it's what I'm using already). Maybe next time :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You are completely misunderstanding my concern. It is not about having a full license or not, it is about the upgrade path and only the upgrade path. In the beginning you got license codes that gave you a full version but limited you in upgrades.
I've never seen that with any macheist bundle. Perhaps you should reach out to the developers who offer the apps and ask if there's a distinction.

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Courier was in the last bundle, and that one was frozen.

And that's somewhat true. There are some apps from the Leopard days where the serial still works on the latest version that you can get from the developer's website. But there are apps like Radium that don't.

Courier is not frozen. The developer is supposed to have provided an updated download link, but it hasn't been reflected on the receipts yet.

There is no such thing as free lifetime updates for any app or bundle. You're only guaranteed minor revision updates, say from 1.1 to 1.2, but major upgrades, say from 2.5 to 3.0, you have to pay for. This is how all software works. Radium went from 2.8.4 to version 3.0, so no, you're not supposed to get free updates, and you shouldn't have expected that. Just because you might get lucky with one app, doesn't mean that is the rule.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
I've never seen that with any macheist bundle. Perhaps you should reach out to the developers who offer the apps and ask if there's a distinction.

For what it's worth, I've seen several similar claims around the web regarding MH1 and special promotional licenses of some sort that couldn't be upgraded like normal licenses for the same piece of software could.

This was before my time, and even if those claims are true the licenses are not limited like that anymore.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Courier is not frozen. The developer is supposed to have provided an updated download link, but it hasn't been reflected on the receipts yet.

There is no such thing as free lifetime updates for any app or bundle. You're only guaranteed minor revision updates, say from 1.1 to 1.2, but major upgrades, say from 2.5 to 3.0, you have to pay for. This is how all software works. Radium went from 2.8.4 to version 3.0, so no, you're not supposed to get free updates, and you shouldn't have expected that. Just because you might get lucky with one app, doesn't mean that is the rule.

I KNOW that. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.