Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GlobalRaymond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
I currently own a 2006 model MBP. 160GB hard drive, 2GB RAM. The RAM can't be upgraded and I am maxed out at OS X 10.6.8.

I will soon be moving to Europe and would like to upgrade my computer before I do so. I would like to spend $1200 or less but would honestly prefer to spend less than $1000.

I have toyed with the idea of getting an iMac but the idea of transporting it over there seems like too much of a hassle to deal with. And the cost is a bit out of my range, even when looking at the refurbished computers on Apple.com.

I am happy to get a refurb computer from Apple. That's "good as new" as far as I'm concerned.

I obviously want more RAM than I currently have. A huge hard drive is not as important to me. I'd love to have a SSD but don't think I'll be able to pull that off in the price range I'm thinking.

I'd love to hear some suggestions form serious Mac users as to what they would suggest I get. Mac Mini? MBA? MBP? Obviously, a MBP would push the limits of my budget.

Thanks in advance for your advice, tips, comments, etc.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I currently own a 2006 model MBP. 160GB hard drive, 2GB RAM. The RAM can't be upgraded and I am maxed out at OS X 10.6.8.

I will soon be moving to Europe and would like to upgrade my computer before I do so. I would like to spend $1200 or less but would honestly prefer to spend less than $1000.

I have toyed with the idea of getting an iMac but the idea of transporting it over there seems like too much of a hassle to deal with. And the cost is a bit out of my range, even when looking at the refurbished computers on Apple.com.

I am happy to get a refurb computer from Apple. That's "good as new" as far as I'm concerned.

I obviously want more RAM than I currently have. A huge hard drive is not as important to me. I'd love to have a SSD but don't think I'll be able to pull that off in the price range I'm thinking.

I'd love to hear some suggestions form serious Mac users as to what they would suggest I get. Mac Mini? MBA? MBP? Obviously, a MBP would push the limits of my budget.

Thanks in advance for your advice, tips, comments, etc.

I know you'd like to spend less than $1k, but what if you came out at under the $1k? Apple is selling a 13" dual-core i5 500GB HDD 4GB RAM for $1,019. I'm sure that would be an upgrade from your current machine, you could upgrade to 8GB max, run OS X 10.8 and not spend as much as you might have thought. Just be sure to also buy the world traveler kit as well since you'll have to deal with different standards in different parts of Europe.

Then, sell your current MBP, for $400-$500 and spend some of that on RAM upgrade.

GlobalRaymond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
I know you'd like to spend less than $1k, but what if you came out at under the $1k? Apple is selling a 13" dual-core i5 500GB HDD 4GB RAM for $1,019. I'm sure that would be an upgrade from your current machine, you could upgrade to 8GB max, run OS X 10.8 and not spend as much as you might have thought. Just be sure to also buy the world traveler kit as well since you'll have to deal with different standards in different parts of Europe.

Then, sell your current MBP, for $400-$500 and spend some of that on RAM upgrade.

You make some very good points there. Thanks for that advice. You think the MBP would be better than getting a Mac Mini with bigger and better specs for the same or less money?

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
You make some very good points there. Thanks for that advice. You think the MBP would be better than getting a Mac Mini with bigger and better specs for the same or less money?

I think so because at least with the MBP, you get the keyboard, trackpad, and display built in. the 13" is great for traveling and the smaller spaces in europe(for the most part) make a laptop the better option. Plus, you can always get a computer display at a later point.

I've been to European countries a few times and knowing what you'll have to deal with if you intend to go anywhere, I would either go with a new MBP or hold on to your current machine and get a used mini somewhere for much cheaper. But DO get the world traveler kit. You could get by just fine with an adapter, but having smaller adapters designed for the power supply is the best way to go.

The outlets are different in many of the countries and I made good use of my airport purchased adapter in England, France, Spain, and Norway(and all of these had different outlets). Enjoy yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.