Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
I think it is hard to argue against a Pismo.

Mac OS 9 flies (the Classic OS still is more responsive, IMHO, than OS X) and since you can also run OX 10.4 on it, you can solve a lot of backwards/forwards compatibility problems.

On top of everything else, with USB, Firewire 400 and a PC card slot, you have a lot of other options. In fact, I found a USB 2 PC-Card, with a power adaptor I plug into the on-board USB 1 plug, and I get USB 2 in OS X.

I have 3 Pismo's at home (and a 4th is loaned out to my sister). I have one with a PATA SSD in it, and another with a 16GB CF adaptor hard drive. Frankly , I can't tell the difference between the two. They boot up somewhat faster than a 5400rpm HD, but are much faster in day-to-day use.

In contrast, I just got an iBook G4 1.4 GHz that I stuck 1.5 GB RAM in. You would think that would fly, but it sucks because the 4200rpm HD in it is a huge (HUGE) bottleneck. It slows everything down. I got the SSD originally to put in that, but when taking apart the iBook, I couldn't pry apart the lower casing, wound up cutting my fingers, and eventually said "Screw it" and put the SSD in the Pismo. And now I use that instead!

Avoid the TiBook...avoid any iBooks...look into my eyes..."Buy the Pismo"
:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.