Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rappar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Canada
I would like to purchase a digital picture frame to display some of my photos. I've read a number of reviews and they tend to be mixed. Is anyone using one of these and could suggest something that is decent? I'm looking for something that could display a size of about 8" by 10".
Thanks
Ron

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I can only suggest reading the reviews of the many frames offered at Amazon. Sadly, none seem very compelling, not all they could be.

This is a product Apple should sell!!!!!!! There are so many great way this could be done.

What it TCook's email? Surely I will get a big reward for suggesting it...

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
I, for one, am against digital frames.
It defeats the purpose of a high-resolution camera, not to mention the care taken in making the colors just right.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
It defeats the purpose of a high-resolution camera, not to mention the care taken in making the colors just right.

I don't disagree, but it depends on the purpose. If the goal is to show the family/friend/vacation pictures then it is worthwhile. If the gaol is to show images with artistic value, then I agree with you.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Maybe these two options are overkill, but if you have an iPad there is a sort of Photo Frame setting for it.

Option 2: Apple TV. When my brother wants to show our parents his vacation or renovation photos, we stick the camera card in their iMac and then use the Apple TV to view the images on the tv in the living room or family room. Very comfortable. And you can also set the Apple TV to use your iPhoto library or albums as screen savers.

My brother & SIL use a Mac Mini and their HDTV as a giant picture frame all day long, cycling through their iPhoto library.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA

The idea is that it would be a quality hi-rez screen, an Apple design and not the random reject screens that seem to be used for frames now. While I agree that a true work of art should be printed, mounted and lit correctly, a good digital frame would do justice for more than just iPhone shots and such. And most people just don't have the wall space for more than a few prints anyway.

Utterchaos23

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
Brighton UK
Digital Picture Frame?

Hi all,

There is a very valid reason for digi photo frames. I am an photography amateur, with an Eos450 that is never on auto!

I Xbox photos from my mac on a tv that is set up "just right" and have my favourite photos printed all over the place..... However, you cannot beat the a subtle reminder of a fab day out or beautiful shot of my son popping up randomly in a photo frame.

I have a broken Kodak Pulce. That has died and been returned and has now been refunded. And a cheap Nix that is non mac as a backup.

The Pulce when it worked was great, photos from Facebook was the best bit. Meant you could make a non-shared album and post whatever you wanted. Nix is crap.

I now want a frame that shows my iCloud photos! Any suggestions or solutions ?

J

Last edited:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I can only suggest reading the reviews of the many frames offered at Amazon. Sadly, none seem very compelling, not all they could be.

This is a product Apple should sell!!!!!!! There are so many great way this could be done.

What it TCook's email? Surely I will get a big reward for suggesting it...
Isn't a digital picture frame what you would use your old iPad for instead of selling it? :D

And I do agree that the available digital picture frames all seem to have different idiosyncrasies - it would be nice if someone got it [almost] right.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Isn't a digital picture frame what you would use your old iPad for instead of selling it? :D

And I do agree that the available digital picture frames all seem to have different idiosyncrasies - it would be nice if someone got it [almost] right.

People vastly prefer to look at photos at their leisure and hate being forced to gather around some device and listen to lame narrations.

Your iPad idea is good. While they are too small for most wall applications, one could design a nice frame and mount to convert an old iPad for a desktop.

And there are lots of old monitors and iMacs that could be converted, maybe using old Mac Minis to power them? Lots of this stuff stuck in closets, unloved and unused. Could be an interesting project. Ideally though the displays would be HiRez, Retina, IPA, non-glare, etc.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Get an iPad 3 or newer, or Android tablet equivalent as picture frame.
All other options don't make sense, as there is NO picture frame with IPS/VA display, which you will need, as a picture frame is to be seen from various angles, unlike your computer screen.
Picture frames have screens even more horrible than the cheapest computer displays, similar to ancient Boeing 747 seat displays where the passenger in front adjusts your image with his rest-position.

Utterchaos23

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
Brighton UK
Digital Picture Frame?

My bad. Didn't mention my budget of around a hundred pounds

Not too fused about a really high res or quality picture. The Kodak was good enough. Nix is a bit rubbish though.

Did think about an old iPad but they're still going for £150.

Ta

Utterchaos23

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
Brighton UK
Change of requirements!

Ok,

Now thinking an old 1st gen iPad might be the way to go, I've found a few iPads for about £170ish . At least I will be able to use iCloud!

Problem now is.... can I schedule it to come on and go off at certain times of the day? And go automatically into Picture Frame mode?

I'm thinking not :(

Utterchaos23

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
Brighton UK
Digital Picture Frame?

So, picked up an iPad 1st gen for 170.00 works great!

Really happy with picture and icloud integration ...

Can I schedule it to turn off though?

Getitdone

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
I have a Sony digital frame that is about 5 years old and it's still going strong. You can load the photos right into the frames internal memory, or use several different types of memory cards.
I have made up several "seasonal" memory cards (Christmas, Easter, Summer, St.Patrick's Day <yes that is a season for us>, Graduation, Back to School, etc) with family pictures from across the years. I add to the cards when I get a chance. The frame sits on a secretary in the foyer - very informal - and I just switch out the cards. It's fun to see the kids and cousins as they grow and change throughout the years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.