Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage12.png
AMD has hired away another executive from Apple, CNET is reporting.

Raja Koduri, Apple's former director of graphics architecture, has been rehired by AMD as Corporate Vice President of Visual Computing after four years with Apple.
Koduri joined Apple from AMD in April 2009 as part of the electronics giant's push to build up its own chip operations. Instead of relying on partners like Intel to design processors for smartphones and tablets, Apple started creating its own chips for mobile devices.
Anecdotal reports have suggested that Apple employees have been sending out resumes more recently than they have in the past, though CNET says Koduri left Apple last month and didn't immediately join AMD. The company was reported to have been attempting to hire Koduri back for some time.

The skills of Koduri and Jim Keller -- Apple's former head of platform architecture who joined AMD last year -- would seem to compliment each other as AMD attempts to gain market share after a poor showing in recent years. AnandTech says AMD is putting GPU hardware and software under Koduri's leadership.

Article Link: Apple Director of Graphics Architecture Is Second Chip Executive Hired Away by AMD

deanbo

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
I'm Looking Forward To Kaveri

And I'm wondering about what Apples future ARM efforts will be like.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wow, jumping ship from a great innovative company to one that is struggling to make a profit - things must be very bad behind close doors at apple :confused:

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
In other news, employees seek out the best job opportunities that fit their talents and salary requirements. Next up, Apple hires people from other companies because Apple offers the job opportunities and salaries they are looking for in a career.

Later, those same employees seek employment elsewhere in 1-5 years because this is the norm in technology careers.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Who are all these "lots of people" and is it any more than other tech companies?

It's in the article: "Anecdotal reports have suggested that Apple employees have been sending out resumes more recently than they have in the past".

Maybe Apple employees do not leave the company any faster than employees of other companies but it appears that they do leave at higher rate than they used to be leaving Apple before.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Oh yeah, AMD exists.

A flood of AMD vs. Intel debates from years ago just came through my mind.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Wow, jumping ship from a great innovative company to one that is struggling to make a profit - things must be very bad behind close doors at apple :confused:

Or could just be a bad fit at Apple and Koduri. Doesn't seem like there is a mass exodus in process (yet)

czeano

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2011
Apple offers the...salaries they are looking for in a career.

You must not have applied there lately. Nothing like spending a full business day interviewing with different departments that can't tell you what they do, only to have the recruiter hang up on you when you share your current (already below market) salary, or try to brag about how great the stock program is. I don't know about your bank/landlord, but mine won't accept rent/mortgage payments in options.

Last edited:

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
Corporate culture creates brain drain, reminiscent of the late 80s.
What is it about Apple's corporate culture which causes brain drain?
As far as I know, increased turnover is usually caused by people being dissatisfied with their wages. So if this is a result of corporate culture, I would like you to elaborate on this. Just curious.

Aug 26, 2008
Who are all these "lots of people" and is it any more than other tech companies?

This has been noted all over the web. There were twitter comments from one person (forget who), that everyone he once followed that worked at Apple had recently left.

Also, I've heard from some people that would know that it's pretty bad internally.

Aug 26, 2008
As far as I know, increased turnover is usually caused by people being dissatisfied with their wages. So if this is a result of corporate culture, I would like you to elaborate on this. Just curious.

Well among the tech world Apple is known for pretty average salaries and an oppressive atmosphere. I think it's pretty clear why that wouldn't work without their leader around anymore. Who would want to put up with that?

zoffdino

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2009
Well among the tech world Apple is known for pretty average salaries and an oppressive atmosphere. I think it's pretty clear why that wouldn't work without their leader around anymore. Who would want to put up with that?

And the tanking share price. I know a lot of Apple guys who have 20-30K in Apple stocks. Now it's 40% less. Tim Cook: keep depressing the stock price and soon you will have no one left for "innovation", only this time, it's for real.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010

thats one way to look at it. there are many others:

- myself, ive never stayed anywhere more than 2 years, and get wanderlust.
- he received a massive promotion going to VP at AMD.
- it was closer to home
- he was bored
- he didnt like his view
- he wife thinks he works to much​

...etc. open your mind a bit to possibilities.

----------

What's going on? Lots of people are leaving all of a sudden? :(

no, youre just reading about them now.

Last edited:

Atlantico

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
BCN
AMD is an exciting place to work for these days, there's a bunch of new and groundbreaking designs AMD is pushing to the market and a lot of room for improvement - at Apple it's more focused on just one thing, the ARM architecture.

For chip engineers AMD is way more exciting than Apple. There's nothing really strange about this move. Great for AMD. :)

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010

In general, higher wages are not sufficient to keep employees happy. Market wages combined with a great place to work however, DO make employees happy.

Maybe Apple underpays its best people, but maybe it is just a plain lousy place to work. Any portrayal of the culture wrought by The Steve that I have seen was that he was an abusive employer. And corporate culture generally flows from the top down.

But maybe apple is a great place to work that pays above-market wages and this is a lone crank. Unlikely, but maybe true?

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
It's in the article: "Anecdotal reports have suggested that Apple employees have been sending out resumes more recently than they have in the past".

Maybe Apple employees do not leave the company any faster than employees of other companies but it appears that they do leave at higher rate than they used to be leaving Apple before.

anecdotal is code for "unscientific stuff that is basically made up".

did you follow apple employment stats 2 years ago? 4? 6? if not, you have no idea if its more or less than "before". nor does anyone outside of HR, probably.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.