Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gregornz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2013
I've been looking all over the net and can't find an answer, a kings ransom to the valiant sir who answers my waking call;

My itunes library is on my PC, how can I use my macbook air to play from that library over my home network? Thanks! :)

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
On OS X iTunes has under Preferences: Sharing: Share my library on my local network. Windows iTunes does't have the Sharing setting?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
The simplist is turning on sharing in the preferences of iTunes in Windows. iTunes will need to be running all the time.

The next more complicated setting would be enabling file sharing in Windows and sharing the music folder. Then in iTunes on the Mac set the Windows library as the default in the preferences. Neither can be set to organize the library folder. When you add or delete a song in one you'll need to replace the library database on the other.

Another option is to setup the free Synctoy for Windows to mirror it's library to the Mac. That way any changes made it Windows will be reflected on the Mac. For this setup you can only make changes to the library and playlists in Windows. Changes made to the Mac would disappear after the sync.

Really with any of these setups you need to designate the Windows desktop as the master computer. Just think of the Air as a player. The desktop takes care of all database management. I wish Apple would make a server version of iTunes that allows clients to connect and modify a global database but they won't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.