Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hNicolas

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I bought an iPhone 5 today at Eaton Centre. I've just managed to cut the SIM card from Mobilicity at a shop on Younge St.; they didn't charge me anything.
Got home, but after searching for a network it got no result.
I simply get the "No Service" message on top.

I got a bunch of photos here.
Hope someone else got better luck (and can really prove it).
I'll go tomorrow back there to return it.

The band specs on your box are identical to my iPhone I purchased on launch day in the US (AT&T). I thought the new tweaked iPhone is supposed to have additional bands.

I don't think you got the new iPhone for T-Mobile there.

Last edited:

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
The band specs on your box are identical to my iPhone I purchased on launch day in the US (AT&T). I thought the new tweaked iPhone is supposed to have additional bands.

I don't think you got the new iPhone for T-Mobile there.

The new phone says 1700/2100 under UTMS. Definitely not the new iPhone.

Mimica

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2013
I don't think so...

Might be a problem with your SIM or Mobilicity service. Looks like you got a new tweaked iPhone 5 by the model number.

I did manage to put the same SIM back into my android phone and it is working. I've tested the iphone in my apartment, and the android is working here.
The box specifications don't include the 1700 MHz... I'm lost if this model is indeed within the new product range.
I've also tried to download the t-mobile carrier update; but it made no difference (via t-mobile.com/iosupdate; or something similar via wi-fi).

I'll go today to Eaton to return it. Luckily the SIM still works.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
just wanted to point out that the serial numbers ending in those 4 digit combos dont match the pic...the pic still showing wind 3G?:confused:

also shouldn't it be "Carrier 14.1"...I am pretty sure 6.1.3 came with 14.1 for all....

Re: The serial numbers, yes that's what I clearly stated in my original post.

Wind Mobile is not an official carrier for the iPhone, having T-Mobile's carrier update won't do anything for Wind and the carrier update is OTA or via iTunes update once you have a T-Mobile sim inserted.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Re: The serial numbers, yes that's what I clearly stated in my original post.

Wind Mobile is not an official carrier for the iPhone, having T-Mobile's carrier update won't do anything for Wind and the carrier update is OTA or via iTunes update once you have a T-Mobile sim inserted.

never said anything about T-Mobile update...what I said was that I am pretty sure that 6.1.3 bumps all "Carrier" versions to 14.1....has nothing to do with Wind...

When all carrier versions get updates then "Carrier 14.1" would be the answer to that...I feel the image is a fake...if person has jailbroken they can easily set the about screen to show w.e....just to make other jealous.

as you mentioned as well:
- Serial number doesnt match up
- 6.1.3 would have 14.1 not 14.0 carrier version (not limited T-Mobile update)

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
I did manage to put the same SIM back into my android phone and it is working. I've tested the iphone in my apartment, and the android is working here.
The box specifications don't include the 1700 MHz... I'm lost if this model is indeed within the new product range.
I've also tried to download the t-mobile carrier update; but it made no difference (via t-mobile.com/iosupdate; or something similar via wi-fi).

I'll go today to Eaton to return it. Luckily the SIM still works.

1) If the box does not say "1700/2100" under UTMS then you do not have the updated model.
2) The updated carrier bundle for T-Mobile would not make a bit of difference unless you are using T-Mobile. And if you tried to download the configuration file from t-mobile.com, then it was a waste of time as that file is not a carrier bundle and it would just set the wrong settings even for T-Mobile users if they were using an iPhone 5.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
never said anything about T-Mobile update...what I said was that I am pretty sure that 6.1.3 bumps all "Carrier" versions to 14.1....has nothing to do with Wind...

When all carrier versions get updates then "Carrier 14.1" would be the answer to that...I feel the image is a fake...if person has jailbroken they can easily set the about screen to show w.e....just to make other jealous.

as you mentioned as well:
- Serial number doesnt match up
- 6.1.3 would have 14.1 not 14.0 carrier version (not limited T-Mobile update)

The image is real, MobileSyrup wouldn't report bogus reports and you can't jailbreak on iOS 6.1.3 (yes you can rename the carrier name with a custom IPCC file). iOS 6.1.3 is carrier build 14.0 for all carriers by default, only T-Mobile is listed as 14.1 because of it is one of the official carriers and the update is OTA. Just like bozzykid said, loading that IPCC file doesn't do anything unless you're on T-Mobile.

Remember one thing, the iPhone codenames, iOS builds and carrier builds, "14".0 is a major update and 14."1" is small update.

A few others also got the new 1428 model and running on Wind & Mobilicity on HoFo.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I bought an iPhone 5 today at Eaton Centre. I've just managed to cut the SIM card from Mobilicity at a shop on Younge St.; they didn't charge me anything.
Got home, but after searching for a network it got no result.
I simply get the "No Service" message on top.

I got a bunch of photos here.
Hope someone else got better luck (and can really prove it).
I'll go tomorrow back there to return it.

I am surprised your iPhone isnt working...again I hope that it isnt because apple is playing tricks on us old 1428 owners:(

----------

The image is real, MobileSyrup wouldn't report bogus reports and you can't jailbreak on iOS 6.1.3 (yes you can rename the carrier name with a custom IPCC file). iOS 6.1.3 is carrier build 14.0 for all carriers by default, only T-Mobile is listed as 14.1 because of it is one of the official carriers and the update is OTA. Just like bozzykid said, loading that IPCC file doesn't do anything unless you're on T-Mobile.

Remember one thing, the iPhone codenames, iOS builds and carrier builds, "14".0 is a major update and 14."1" is small update.

A few others also got the new 1428 model and running on Wind & Mobilicity on HoFo.

make sense, but what happened to the member with that second set of images?

Serial matches
model matches
but Mobi sim not working...

Mimica

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2013
Did check 4 boxes at Eaton Centre and no luck

I came today to return the iPhone I bought last Saturday. The genius guys was very helpful and patience. He mentioned hearing all the stories and people looking for the "new" phone.
He stated that they don't know when they'll receive the "new" models and brought 4 different boxes for me to check (2 black and 1 white, all 16GB); but they didn't have the 1700/2100MHz specs; so I returned the one I got last Friday.
I'm not saying someone is using them with WIND or Mobilicity; but I doubt the person bought it at Eaton Centre.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
:eek:

Attachments

• 9LvX4KX.jpg
    9LvX4KX.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 86

Jim_N_Tonik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2004
So a bit of a long story, the short version is that I ordered an iPhone 5 online on Friday (after new specs had ben posted), received an "old" version without 1700/2100 on the box, and after hours on the phone with Apple, put the SIM card in.... and it works?! I dropped by a Wind store today, and they confirmed that everything looks great.

I am happily setup on Wind, with 3G data, calling, and MMS working, with an iPhone that supposedly does not support 1700/2100.

My best guess is that Apple silently updated the phones a while back, and has been shipping them with the 'upgrade' in place to get ahead of t-mobile's demand.

The phone shipped with 14.0 and 6.1.3.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ufb62ftb08hiqdl/2013-04-17%2012.26.25.png

Last edited:

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
^^^

That's wicked dude!

Your serial numbers ending w/ any of these?

FH19
FH1C
FH1D
FH1F
FH1G
FH1H

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Just like the first screenshot of the IP5 on Wind, serial numbers don't match and thanks for the confirmation dude.

It all comes down to date of purchase then, there's nothing else that diff.

phonelover01

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
Hi all,

I've been wondering how Apple is possibly going to co-ordinate things like exchanges (i.e. making sure that owners of the tweaked model *always* get the tweaked model as an exchange, but customers that have the old iPhone don't necessarily).

Little though I want to think Apple would do this, here's what I'm thinking.

Do you suppose that every single A1428 iPhone 5 is absolutely identical (i.e. same firmware, same baseband) but that Apple simply "provisions" whether the AWS radio on your phone gets enabled or not, similar to how they "provision" whether or not your phone is unlocked (via a server)?

Really can't imagine them doing that, but what do you guys think?

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
^^^

That's wicked dude!

Your serial numbers ending w/ any of these?

FH19
FH1C
FH1D
FH1F
FH1G
FH1H

really starting to think apple definitely left us out in the cold on purpose for all we know on behalf of AT&T or other big 3 carriers in Canada...I mean if the serial numbers dont even matter and people have access to 1700 that clearly again confirms its something apple could have allowed all of us to enjoy by a simple modem firmware update...or other some sort of software update...

----------

Hi all,

Little though I want to think Apple would do this, here's what I'm thinking.

Do you suppose that every single A1428 iPhone 5 is absolutely identical (i.e. same firmware, same baseband) but that Apple simply "provisions" whether the AWS radio on your phone gets enabled or not, similar to how they "provision" whether or not your phone is unlocked (via a server)?

Really can't imagine them doing that, but what do you guys think?

I'm with you on this one, Yes everyone keeps saying that apple has to set the chip firmware at the factory but thats jus what apple told everyone...not necessarily the truth....Just wish they would take our iPhones even for a few hours to do what they gotta do...I'd feel much better but knowing that if I want my iPhone to have it all that its suppose to I'd hav to spend $200 more jus to get the same thing with the added 1700 AWS....thats like buying a car without one tire...and to get that one tire having to buy a whole new car...

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
really starting to think apple definitely left us out in the cold on purpose for all we know on behalf of AT&T or other big 3 carriers in Canada...I mean if the serial numbers dont even matter and people have access to 1700 that clearly again confirms its something apple could have allowed all of us to enjoy by a simple modem firmware update...or other some sort of software update...

----------

I'm with you on this one, Yes everyone keeps saying that apple has to set the chip firmware at the factory but thats jus what apple told everyone...not necessarily the truth....Just wish they would take our iPhones even for a few hours to do what they gotta do...I'd feel much better but knowing that if I want my iPhone to have it all that its suppose to I'd hav to spend $200 more jus to get the same thing with the added 1700 AWS....thats like buying a car without one tire...and to get that one tire having to buy a whole new car...

1) I find it hard to believe any A1428 iPhone 5 that doesn't have the serial numbers posted actually works on 1700. Unless someone can show it in field testing mode, I won't believe it can happen.

2) Both versions of the A1428 are running the same modem firmware. There's no way AWS can be enabled with a software update. If it were that simple, Apple wouldn't have to go through this ridiculously confusing process of having a separate unlocked iPhone for T-Mobile only (for now). My guess is they are only doing it now until they weed out all of the old stock.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
1) I find it hard to believe any A1428 iPhone 5 that doesn't have the serial numbers posted actually works on 1700. Unless someone can show it in field testing mode, I won't believe it can happen.

2) Both versions of the A1428 are running the same modem firmware. There's no way AWS can be enabled with a software update. If it were that simple, Apple wouldn't have to go through this ridiculously confusing process of having a separate unlocked iPhone for T-Mobile only (for now). My guess is they are only doing it now until they weed out all of the old stock.

I have a AT&T iPhone today I went to apple store to get it replaced because the camera shutter wouldnt open, they told me they had none in stock and will replace it within few days (They gave my receipt and everything and said I'll get a email for when the iPhone is ready to be picked), now I am going to unlock it as soon as I get it because I want to use it on Simple Mobile, How can I check it in Field test to verify that its running on 1900MHz 3G/4G or 1700/2100 AWS 3G/4G? I am in Chicago. If you give me a guide or info ill be happy to test out and report of what "Version" of A1428 Ill be getting...

PS this was the Downtown Chicago (Busy busy busy) apple store...I am hoping the sign of being out of stock = getting AT&T version with AWS support for 1700

hNicolas

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Just like the first screenshot of the IP5 on Wind, serial numbers don't match and thanks for the confirmation dude.

It all comes down to date of purchase then, there's nothing else that diff.

See my post above!

My iPhone model matches the recently purchased iPhone that works on Wind?

If that's the case, Apple hasn't been forthright with the new "tweaked" T-mobile iPhone explanation.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Wow, my iPhone's serial number ends with DTTQ, I got it last September.
Now I'm tempted to buy a wind sim and test it.

"See my post above!"

My launch day IP5 is a DTTQ model also (millions of DTTQ models out there), I've already tried it on Wind / Mobilicity last week and it won't connect.

Yes I can see your post above, it's only a 12 min diff of a post that was posted back2back LOL

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.