Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Read my post above. I was throttled down to .2 after using a whole 850meg in a month. ST is unlimited web browsing. If they catch you streaming music or moves (including YouTube), or downloading files...you're throttled.

Sucks. Please...do your homework before choosing ST. Go to howardforums or other places. They (ST) have really started to closely monitor activity lately.

It looks like they're trying to make Net10's 1.5GB cap more appealing.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
(I am new to phones)

If I were to purchase a ST iPhone from Walmart and I later wanted to use a different carrier (Such as ATT, Sprint, or Verizon) what would I do to make this possible? Or is this even possible for all of them?

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
(I am new to phones)

If I were to purchase a ST iPhone from Walmart and I later wanted to use a different carrier (Such as ATT, Sprint, or Verizon) what would I do to make this possible? Or is this even possible for all of them?

If you got a Straight Talk iPhone 4S or 5 you could later switch to a SIM-based provider such as AT&T or T-Mobile, but not Sprint. You could also switch to a prepaid provider like Net10 or Airvoice.

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
Okay -- Just found a new AT&T SIM card for unlocked iPhones on Ebay. Bid Sniper got it for me for $42. High-rated seller and Ebay always sides with the buyers anyway. I'm either a genius or I'm out $42 + ship. *crosses fingers*

Just for the SIM card? They used to be $15 on ST's website.

No reason for me to make such silly stories!

I did this in Jan.

I wonder if they will still do this now, after seeing that they no longer offer them on their website.

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
They only offer T-Mobile compatible SIM's on their web site now, so there is a price premium for the ATT ones.

Yeah, I know that. I was just surprised how much of a premium they're getting these days. I have one with me that I stopped using in February. Maybe I should try selling it.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I use about 700MB-1.2GB/month of data but recently my problem isnt even data related, what I'm being told by many of my contacts is that when they try to call me I am getting told my phone has the busy dial tone...I never get notified on my iPhone/it doesn't even ring.

My Text and Data works all day no issues....even for calls I can make anytime of the day without issue....today I was expecting a important call and I got told when I called the person to get an update that my phone kept coming as busy...during that time I was not on any calls or even using my phone...

Anyone else experiencing such an issue?

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
I use about 700MB-1.2GB/month of data but recently my problem isnt even data related, what I'm being told by many of my contacts is that when they try to call me I am getting told my phone has the busy dial tone...I never get notified on my iPhone/it doesn't even ring.

My Text and Data works all day no issues....even for calls I can make anytime of the day without issue....today I was expecting a important call and I got told when I called the person to get an update that my phone kept coming as busy...during that time I was not on any calls or even using my phone...

Anyone else experiencing such an issue?

I always suspected something like this, but I never really could prove it. That said, I have a friend who has a similar problem with his AT&T iPhone. Or at least friends have tried to call him and they have to leave a voicemail, even when he wasn't using his phone.

Maybe it's a congestion issue? The MVNOs get bumped down in the priority list?

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I always suspected something like this, but I never really could prove it. That said, I have a friend who has a similar problem with his AT&T iPhone. Or at least friends have tried to call him and they have to leave a voicemail, even when he wasn't using his phone.

Maybe it's a congestion issue? The MVNOs get bumped down in the priority list?

sad part for me is that mine doesnt even go to voicemail...it just goes to beep beep beep beep beep beep....thats it

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Anyone else experiencing degraded service on Straight Talk AT&T SIM?

Things I experience in past 2 weeks

- Dropped Calls (been experiencing like 1-3 times daily in the past few days)
- Lots of static in calls everyday
- My contacts telling me my phone comes as busy when I am not on my phone at all during random times (doesn't happen daily but does happen)

I have simple mobile service on another line and that works fine (yes its on T-Mobile towers I'm aware)

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
3 days ago I noticed I was EDGE for a couple of hours in an area I normally get 4G, but other than that I have been smooth sailing for the couple of months I've had Straight Talk.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Anyone else experiencing degraded service on Straight Talk AT&T SIM?

Things I experience in past 2 weeks

- Dropped Calls (been experiencing like 1-3 times daily in the past few days)
- Lots of static in calls everyday or simply the persons voice starts to get choppy/cut to the point i cant hear anything...
- My contacts telling me my phone comes as busy when I am not on my phone at all during random times (doesn't happen daily but does happen)
- I do not over use data...700MB-1.3GB/month

I have simple mobile service on another line and that works fine (yes its on T-Mobile towers I'm aware)

Anyone else experiencing such issues? In Chicago or anywhere else...this happens to me on every call now...

EDIT: Update 1)
Words from Straight Talk Customer Service:
I was on a "old" plan since I started my service in mid FEB, according the rep AT&T is testing a "new" plans with Straight talk which will allow customers to connect to "3G" and "4G" I'm guessing HSPA (up to 14Mbps) and HSPA+21? So she "switched" me to the new plan, I asked her where can I find the information on their site and she said this is something only employees are told as it should offer customers better experience.

Surprisingly she did not recommend or offer to replace my SIM with T-Mobile one.

Will report back in a day or two to see if her switching me to "new" plan inside their system is making anything better.

Last edited:

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
Anyone else experiencing such issues? In Chicago or anywhere else...this happens to me on every call now...

EDIT: Update 1)
Words from Straight Talk Customer Service:
I was on a "old" plan since I started my service in mid FEB, according the rep AT&T is testing a "new" plans with Straight talk which will allow customers to connect to "3G" and "4G" I'm guessing HSPA (up to 14Mbps) and HSPA+21? So she "switched" me to the new plan, I asked her where can I find the information on their site and she said this is something only employees are told as it should offer customers better experience.

Surprisingly she did not recommend or offer to replace my SIM with T-Mobile one.

Will report back in a day or two to see if her switching me to "new" plan inside their system is making anything better.

Interesting. Maybe this has to do with why AT&T SIMs are sold out.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Interesting. Maybe this has to do with why AT&T SIMs are sold out.

No New improvements, my phone still get cut out, at times the caller would be talking and then all of a sudden would just go blank...always have to call back.

This is terrible I am going to switch over to GoSmart coming June, I'll trade in my iPhone 5 for the T-Mobile...Only holding back because I do not want to give up my jailbreak.

Last edited:

cburton

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
Are you sure? I just checked and it's still just tmobil

They announced on their Facebook page.

This was the link they gave:

http://www.shopstraighttalk.com/bpdirect/straighttalk/Start.do?action=view&locale=en&market=GSM4&productFamily=simcards

Last edited:

ajt1995

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
How unlimited is "unlimited" what are you guy's uses? (AT&T, obviously, T-mo doesn't care)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.