Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dante1970

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2013
There is a slight constant fan noise on my 13-inch Macbook Pro Retina. It is only noticeable if the atmosphere is quiet, but is still annoying. I haven't really noticed it until this week and was wondering if this is normal or all 13-inch MacBook Pros are sort of noisy.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Had my 13" rMBP for 4 weeks now, the fans make no noise at all, even when it's working hard....they are so quiet that I double checked with SMC fan control, but all fans are working, so I guess the answer to the question is no, the fans shouldn't be noisy.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Had my 13" rMBP for 4 weeks now, the fans make no noise at all, even when it's working hard....they are so quiet that I double checked with SMC fan control, but all fans are working, so I guess the answer to the question is no, the fans shouldn't be noisy.

Fans will always be "noisy" in the sense they will be audible, but not to all since everyone's hearing is different.

But they shouldn't be so audible that it drives you insane. I would take it in.

Rocketpaul

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2012
London
Well I never thought id hear someone complaining about the noise of the fans in the retina, they are easily the most silent fans in a laptop. Install smc fan control and see what speed they are going. if the speed is ~2000rpm and you can hear the fans then either you have super acute hearing or there is something wrong with your fans.

trigonometry

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
South Carolina
What type of processes are running? Where are you placing your machine? Try experimenting with both to see if you can eliminate the fan noise. Example, I can watch Hulu with Terminal and a few other programs open no problem but if I switch to full screen Hulu the fans come on. Also placing my computer on soft surfaces (my bed is the main culprit) also causes the fans to kick into overdrive. Now, if its sitting on a hard surface with no programs/processes running and the fans are full blast, take it to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.