Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
UK
I recently upgraded to a new iMac and I used Migration Assistant to transfer my old user and apps over.

After I was done I used the same time machine and inherited the backups when prompted.

There's something I want to retrieve from a few weeks back but then entering time machine all of my folders are locked out with the negative permissions sign.

Going into "get info" doesn't allow me to modify access.

Any ideas?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
What is your User identification number now on the Mac?
You can find this in Users & Groups, unlock the padlock if it is locked, right click on your User account in the left pane and select advanced, it should be 501 if there is only one User on the Mac, if it is different you can get into trouble like this.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
UK
What is your User identification number now on the Mac?
You can find this in Users & Groups, unlock the padlock if it is locked, right click on your User account in the left pane and select advanced, it should be 501 if there is only one User on the Mac, if it is different you can get into trouble like this.

It's got me down as 503, I am the only user on the Mac. Guest account is disabled. Where do I go from here? I'm guessing it's not as simple as typing in 501??

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
It's got me down as 503, I am the only user on the Mac. Guest account is disabled. Where do I go from here? I'm guessing it's not as simple as typing in 501??

I got similar problems when I used migration Assistant so I don't know how to solve this one, I never used TimeMachine, don't know if you can change the permissions on those folders, if it is possible then it isn't that hard.

It is kinda odd you are 503 now, did you make and delete users before?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.