Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mazuma

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
Basically the short question, is there any reason from a mac compatibility stand point the the fan might not work? All it does is jitter every 5 seconds. Like it wants to spin, but doesn't have the strength.

After I installed the drivers and then the card, I booted up my mac. It came right up and appeared to work flawlessly. The thing I noticed instantly was how much quieter the card was than my previous (Geforce 8800 GT). Apparently it was so quiet because the fan wasn't running.

Photoshop and the like opened and everything seemed good. So, I fired up Diablo 3. About 5 minutes in the screen goes black and the sound is stuttering. I figured this can only be one of two possible reasons, bad drivers or overheating. I shut down and popped the side cover off my mac pro. I restarted and the fan just sits there and does the jitter thing every 5 seconds.

So, that was the long explanation. Before sending back for a replacement I just wanted to make sure the consensus is that this is just a faulty card and nothing to do with my mac. Thanks for any help on this matter.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
You have both power cables connected, right? If so, sounds like the card might be bad.

Edit: Do you have Boot Camp? If so, might be worth trying the card under Windows to see if it works there.

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
Sounds like a bad card, the fan would have spun at 100% if no power cable were connected - and the card would not work or even show up in the system.

mazuma

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
Yes to both. I had both cables plugged in and I tried booting up in Window via Boot Camp. I think the card must have just been bad. I'm just going to return it and see if a new one does the trick. Thanks all.

mazuma

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
Just wanted to follow up. It was a bad card. Received and installed my new card. Same brand and model and works perfectly.

osin

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
New Jersey
So I've got the same issue with a used GTX 570 card. I've tried to switch cables etc. and my results are that fan is working on average every 3rd time I power on the computer. If I put it on stand by or restart it, GPU fan doesn't work. Only jitters every 5 seconds. Like I said, fan is working every third/fourth time I turn on the computer.

Bad card?

Eksdad

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2012
Did you have to do any hacks to get the card to work? Did you download drivers from Nvidias site?

mymacpro

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012
you can run a flashed GTX570 card or an un flashed PC GTX570 in the mac pro with the latest nvidia OSX drivers and 10.7.4, the difference between both is the flashed one has a boot screen and link speed of 5.0 the un flashed pc card has not boot screen and has a link speed of 2.5 but still works

Old-Macs

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
Not the Card? Maybe the Mac?

was just playing with a GTX 570 (trying to put together an install-kit combining the hacks to make them work in first gen 1,1 and 2,1 mac pros running 10.7.4 along with the 10.7.4 OpenCL hack)..

i FIRST tried the card in a 2008 3,1 machine with 10.8, to see if it worked without mods (as i had read it would). i got the exact same behavior as previous posters.. in bottom slot the fan would sort of TRY to start spinning every few seconds but never really get going, even if i pushed it along a few times when it looked to by trying..

put the card in two different wintel test systems and the card/fan worked without any problems.. then thought i must not have got it seated all the way? but since i do that 10-20 times a day it seemed unlikely.. tried it in the same 3,1 machine and again fan would try and spin every few seconds, but not get goin..

put the card in FOUR different 1,1 and TWO 2,1 machines and fan spun in them ALL!! made no difference if Boot disk was OSX 10.7.4 Win-XP or Win7 64bit..

tried it in another 2008 3,1 machine, same problem as in first 3,1.. then thought maybe it's time for google.. found this thread, then tried the card in the second slots in BOTH of the 3,1 machines and the fan spun up with no problem, and machines booted into 10.8.. as it had in the other EIGHT machines!

i DON'T have another card to see if it behaves the same way.. when i get another and do same tests i'll post if its behavior is any different in 3,1 machines..

maybe this is a problem with SOME 3,1 machines and SOME GTX 570 cards.. at any rate moving card up one slot seems to make the problem go away..

Last edited:

Gregd7

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
anyone find a resolution to the issue? I have a MacPro 3,1 and my GTX570 doesn't work in slot 1, but works great in slot 2. In slot 1 the screen goes black after a minute or so of use and stays that way. In slot 2, no problems.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
issue is a 3,1 issue

for whateer reason, some have issues with Nvidia cards in slot 1

frequently the fan doesn't run

use slot 2 or get a 4,1 or later Mac Pro

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^I guess some, but not all. My Gigabyte GTX570, with MacVidCards EFI, is happily residing in slot 1 on my 3,1.

Lou

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
Same here in my ex Mac Pro 3.1. It was ASUS GTX570 Direct CUII, working perfectly fine under load in Slot 1 with 6-pin to 8-pin adapter (card requires 6 + 8-pin power).

gtx570dcuii.jpg

Last edited:

Gregd7

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
Gtx580

Has anyone tried putting a GTX580 in a Macpro 3,1 slot 1 that's having issues with the GTX570? I've had to put my 570 in slot 2, to make it work. If a GTX580 works, I may consider it, even though I'd have to get some extra power.

Gregd7

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
Here's an update. While the GTX570 has to be in slot 2 on my MacPro 3,1, the new GTX680 Mac Edition I just installed works great in slot 1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.