Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ncrypt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 16, 2012
UK
I'm getting a strange error when I update apps using their built in updater.

When there's an update for an app that uses the Sparkle updating engine, it successfully downloads the update but after I click 'Install and Relaunch' I get this error:
Fantastical.jpg

Examples of apps which are using the Sparkle updater (that I've found on my Mac so far) are CleanMyMac and Fantastical.

If anyone has any idea, I'd be really grateful :)

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I haven't heard of Fantastical, but Clean My Mac has a reputation. Due to that, my advice is to rid your system of CMM immediately. It serves no need, and causes problems. You might find that, once it's gone, this particular problem is absent as well. Once it's purged, restart your computer.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Examples of apps which are using the Sparkle updater (that I've found on my Mac so far) are CleanMyMac and Fantastical.
I would not recommend CleanMyMac, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. Here's a recent example. While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx.

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

I highly recommend you remove CleanMyMac from your computer. The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

ncrypt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 16, 2012
UK
Thanks guys, I've removed CleanMyMac then reinstalled the affected apps. Seems to be okay so far.. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.