Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tanker5

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
Hoboken
What are the chances of the new Mac Pro being introduced in a keynote address at WWDC this year? I know WWDC mainly focuses on software development. However, in the past they have also introduced new hardware during keynote addresses at WWDC. I anticipate some sort of Mac hardware announcement (maybe minor speed bumps in iMacs and MacBooks), as WWDC's timing this year will be right around the release of Intel's next generation of their Core series CPU chips.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
New Mac Pro will be based on this:
MODULAR, BABY!

b20.jpg

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I just want something, soon. My video card died last week but I don't want to spend any money on this machine with a new one hopefully just around the corner...

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
As far as I know the Intel processors will be released third quarter unless Apple is able to get advance orders. Apple's priority now seems to be on tablets and phones.

xDeLiRiOuSx

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2010
I just want something, soon. My video card died last week but I don't want to spend any money on this machine with a new one hopefully just around the corner...

Why not replace the videocard and sell your old machine when the new Mac Pro comes out? If you want to get any good value out of your Mac, it would be best to sell it as a working machine. In my opinion.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
New Mac Pro will be based on this:
MODULAR, BABY!

false, apple is about simplicity in its form and function.
theres no way a modular device will sell for apple these days if they could barely push the current MacPro.

if you want modular get a MacMini with Thunderbolt accessories.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Why not replace the videocard and sell your old machine when the new Mac Pro comes out? If you want to get any good value out of your Mac, it would be best to sell it as a working machine. In my opinion.

Depends what generation. If it's a 1,1, a new gpu will cost a significant percentage of its value.

Unfortunately I don't think right around the corner is likely unless you mean that in relative terms. I wouldn't have been surprised to see a late Sandy Bridge E based mac pro show up very early this year. At this point they are likely aiming for the next hardware generation, which isn't likely to ship in volume prior to late Q3, possibly Q4. Note how Sandy Bridge E wasn't shipping from oems for several months after official launch. I have been wrong before though.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
false, apple is about simplicity in its form and function.
theres no way a modular device will sell for apple these days if they could barely push the current MacPro.

The photo should have been a give-away to my level of seriousness. :p

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand

I have a low-end card in there in the interim :)

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006

What are these "Thunderbolt Accessories" of which you speak? Wait, I think I saw some in a store downtown that also sells unicorns and perpetual motion machines. ;)

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
You would think that Apple would want to get a new pro machine out the door soon for the euro market and I'm as curious as anyone but I think the later Apple waits to announce it the better chance that it will redefine the modern computer workstation.

Microsoft probably rushed the Surface and Windows 8 and look what happened.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
Haswell / XEON E5 is delayed, so if at the WWDC a new MacPro It's Offered will not include XEON and at least at the begining will be offer only Top i7 and Later XEON E5 for Early 2014

Maybe shown some advances as UHD (retina) 27/32 iDisplay but not available until early 2014 due delays on the new Thunderbolt due intel.

Whenever it lauched,
Sure will have: (simple logic speculation)

1. a New Form Factor, most Probable a more Compact Tower W/O 5-1/4 bays, maybe only with Internal 2.5" HDD bays
  2. as many Thunderbolt/ USB3 Port as the Chipset its capable (4/6).
  3. A new Mac Pro Cube still a possibility, but falls out the conservative Apple thinking.
  4. If a MP Cube is the ff, the new qMP sure will use Propetary Video Card form Factor (with latest Quadro or Similar).
  5. Fusion or SSD drives.
  6. Less and less User or Third Party Upgrades.

May Ditch:

1. 3.5" Drives for SFF 2.5 hdd .
  2. DIMM for Smaller ECC capable SO-DIMM.
  3. std pci-E/16 slot

We Will never See:

1. Liquid Cooling
  2. Stackable Modules (interesting but nothing a MP consumer really want, a Solid Tower with simple Modular internal Trays is far enough).
  3. LCD Display for Status.
  4. Passive Cooling (neither XEON / top i7 could be passively Cooled, at least not in a practical solution).
  5. Inmersive Cooling (no Oil filled Fishbowl).

Last edited:

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
Also Apple may Ditch the MP and instead Present an iMac Pro wth Top i7/ Quadro architectures.

Plus support for High Speed communication (10G Eth port) with things as nVidia VCA for Heavy Rendering/Number Crushing Needs.

And Maybe qHD display (27"qHD are available now from Sharp), and don't need to wait until Thunderbolt 2 is available next Year.

(If i'm Jonny Ive I'll Ditch MP and build iMac Pros)

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
Also Apple may Ditch the MP and instead Present an iMac Pro wth Top i7/ Quadro architectures.

Plus support for High Speed communication (10G Eth port) with things as nVidia VCA for Heavy Rendering/Number Crushing Needs.

And Maybe qHD display (27"qHD are available now from Sharp), and don't need to wait until Thunderbolt 2 is available next Year.

Not sure why they don't do this already, there must be some way to get the PCIe out of the case? IMac Pro I'd buy that!

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Not sure why they don't do this already, there must be some way to get the PCIe out of the case? IMac Pro I'd buy that!

At that point I would go Hackintosh all the way. iMac supposedly brings a screen and/or the all-in-one concept to the table as the justification factor for the prices Apple asks. MacPro brings a sweet-ass case, excellent internal case design, and a low to mid range Xeon Workstation grading.

If Apple made an iCore Desktop graded system then where's the benefit? Cost? Ha! This is Apple we're talking about remember... But that is the ground they would be forced to compete on. So sure... If they come out with the Hexi at 3.4GHz for $800 base then maybe... Bit it's Apple so it'll be more like $1,600 and no one with any sense would go for it.

Of course no one has claimed that Apple users have any sense in the first place but... :D

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC

Ewww. That would not replace the mac pro needs at all if you are just making a souped up iMac and slapping a pro label on it!

I could understand making the low-end (or even the medium) pro with an i7 as the cpu. All the other normal pro-only specs (PCIe slots, multiple 3.5 drive bays) I would hold as non-negotiable though. Remove those and it is not a pro.

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008

I've thought of the Hackingtosh route many times, but would rather be making music, editing, etc.

It's not for everyone, but then again a MacPro isn't either, I could probably sell my 2008 MAcPro and 2010 Macbook Pro, spend some more cash and get the Haswell, and i'm pretty sure it could handle just as much as I throw at it. Truth of the fact is, with Thunderbolt,especially as it improves in speed, there's not much use for internal PCI-e and Hard Drives.

We're not quite there yet, but for most peoples tasks they do just fine. I could easily do with 1 PCIe and the rest Thunderbolt. One SSD inside and Thunderbolt Chassis outside.

The other way to look at is you don't need to expensively upgrade so often, if everything was a little more modular you could swap out the computer components and keep Graphics card etc.

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
Truth of the fact is, with Thunderbolt,especially as it improves in speed, there's not much use for internal PCI-e and Hard Drives.

I do not see speed as the issue. The problem is the more things you have outside of the case the more unwieldy your system becomes. More data cables. More power cables (and power supplies). More independent devices that could have cooling issues. If I plug a 3.5 into a tower everything is there. If I put it in an external case suddenly my real world desktop becomes more of a mess.

Apple is a bit schizophrenic on this point. They want to reduce clutter, fine. At the same time they want to reduce the ability to hide that 'clutter'. The need for multiple 3.5 drives (for example) in a MP will not go down ... the question is will they be 'out of sight, out of mind' or will they add yet another external device?

In theory there are only 3 things that should be outside of a good tower. The keyboard, a mouse (or other pointing device), and your monitor. Production drives would go inside, although there would be a data port of some sort so you can hook up a drive to back up to if it is unwieldy to open the case for that.

The iMac follows this concept: using wifi, blutooth for your keyboard and mouse, not using using CDs/DVDs/Blu-Rays and ignoring backups you only need a power cable. They also made it so most expansion would need to be outside of the case, defeating the whole point of a clean design.

I would rather have a MP and put all my stuff that should be internal in one box. Who cares if it makes the box heavier? If that was my criterion I would be using a laptop.

d-m-a-x

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011

Nooooooooooooo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.