Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b52hbuff

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
Come on. We know nothing for sure about this device or even if it's real. But let's use our brains and assume:

• Will have an intuative touch interface
  • Battery life is at least a long day of heavy use.
  • Will let you easily view iOS notifications (email, messages, reminders, passbook items, etc., etc., etc., etc., whatever you care about)
  • Provides media playback info and controls
  • Provides Siri interface (not that I care, but Apple will)
  • Displays other good-to-know info. E.g. current item on todo list, current shopping list, etc. (Apple will provide an API for apps to provide good-to-know info based on time, location and user-selected goals/tasks)
  • Might even display the current time
  • Likely will need to pair with an iOS device (iPhone, maybe touch) to work.
  • Provides a quick-response capability for various notifications. ("I'll call you back in 10 min", "I'm working on it", etc.)

Excellent list. The one piece I haven't seen discussed yet (and I'm still working through the thread) is whether the iWatch is an iOS companion device, or whether it will have value on its own?

Remember the early days of the iOS devices, they were heavily tethered to a more powerful computer.

I would like to see some security features tied into the watch. Specifically, the ability to lock/unlock the phone when in proximity to the watch. I'd also like the ability to sound an alarm/lock the phone when the phone is too far from my watch. And a quick access to "Find My iPhone" on the watch is a must.

Joesmith13245

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
I see this device providing value in the health & Fitness space. Some use cases:

1) Connect Heart Rate Monitor - similar to that of a Polar Watch. Right now I need to drag along my iPhone when I use Digifit to connect my HRM. With iwatch this goes away.
2) Playing music while exercising. Again I could use my iPhone but because its bulky it makes it inconvenient.
3) Fitness activity/sleep tracking(Like the Nike or Fitbit Flex Bands)

All this without leaving the Apple ecosystem. For this reason only Im interested .

Last edited:

b52hbuff

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
The health and fitness functions are certainly interesting. However if Apple wants to make the iwatch appeal more to just than just one segment, they're going to have to figure out a bunch of really cool stuff that it will have to do so every body will want to buy it.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Who wants a cheap digital watch, even if its a fancy one, when you can get a quality mechanical watch for very little? I stopped wearing a digital watch in Middle School, and I won't be going back. Digital watches are for children, mechanical watches are for grown ups. Which one are you?

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
nope i don't want one.

The idea of having to wear a watch again after ditching it for a smartphone is totally nutty to me.

I do not see watches as a cool young thing to wear and no amount of tech will change that.

Watches are jewellery for people who don't know the value of money not for tech geeks or the general public.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
How about a survey to find out if people are tired of stupid moronic surveys?

Survey takers are just slightly above lawyers, politicians, and TV evangelists on the "Hate Scale". But not by much.

Ive never met a single person whos ever been surveyed by one of these companies

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
It's a well known fact that 87.42% of survey statistics are completely inaccurate or made up. ;)

Dilbert's tie is a watch.

5652.strip.gif

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Further studies showed that of the group labeled 'very likely' to purchase wearable computing devices in the next year, over 90% planned to rely solely on masturbation as a means of achieving sexual pleasure for the duration of the product's life.

Hahahaha

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Here's to hoping the iWatch is similar to this :D

View attachment 408691

Yea, me too. I really want a watch that is only visible when the lights are down, like that one.

----------

I find it interesting that 10 years ago, it would probably have gone like this:

"Hey look, my phone can show me the internet and do email!"

"Just use a PC for that, dummy!"

Not true at all. 10 years ago a ton of us were hoping for the internet in a small device, like our phone. That market was ready to explode, once the right technology and the right product came along.
I don't think the same can be said for this 'watch'. We'll see. And feel free to shove these words back in my face if this watch actually becomes a huge hit (which it won't).

----------

iWatch. I lol'd. The only thing more ridiculous than the whole concept, is the number of people falling all over themselves to say how great it will be. Yeah, I need something with a screen 1/8th the size of my iPhone that I can barely read. Take my money, please. :rolleyes:

Bingo.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
I frequently plan to buy products about which I:
  • know nothing about the price
  • know nothing about the looks
  • know nothing about the functionality
  • know nothing about the release date
Sign me up!

This is more accurate:
  • know nothing about the price
  • know nothing about the looks
  • know nothing about the functionality
  • know nothing about the release date
  • know it will come from Apple

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
I don't buy this survey for one second. This demand isn't demand for an iWatch, it's demand for a new Apple product regardless of what it is. Although many here love technology and would wear one of these, I don't believe this product has any mass consumer appeal. My wife isn't going to go buy some gaudy smart watch that has the same capability as her phone, especially if it isn't fashionable and coordinated with her outfits. This is the current watch market...they are fashion statements with time telling as a secondary objective. This iWatch sure as heck isn't going to take any of that market.

This product has the same market as google glass. A limited pile of nerds willing to wear this crap, with the rest of the world looking and laughing. (For the record I'm one of these nerds)

sonicboom

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2006
I have no immediate need for this product or any watch. My iPhone took over my time keeping needs long ago.

However, I am interested in what Apple comes up with. If anyone can get me to wear a watch its apple, just like they got me to buy a phone. To me its not a brand thing, it's that their products are simply amazing.

As expressed earlier, I like the concept of getting pertinent information at a glance. Time is one of those things, but I could also see calendar integration where it tells you what and where your next meeting is - at a glance. My day is typically full of meetings, and that would be handy.

I could also see VIP texts/emails displayed (notifications). Touch it and pull up the whole thread.

Human health applications would be cool too, and undoubtably in plan given where the nano is.

My prediction is that apple will slave the iwatch to the iPhone, like they tried to do with the ipad/ipod and Mac. This could be successful given the number of iPhones in the pocket of people. It would also make the iwatch/iphone more sticky (necessary in the minds of people).

The look will be interesting as well. Apple is great at industrial design, but a watch is something people personally identify with moreso than a phone. It is very much a fashion statement. The big challenge is whether apple can produce something to overcome that need for individuality and appeal to the masses.

Anyway, I don't want one today, but it'll be interesting to see if apple can change my mind tomorrow.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
Just wait and see...

Every time I see a thread like this, and read the reactions, especially the negative ones, I think of this thread. And that was what people were saying after the product was revealed (but before anyone had tried one). Eventually that product developed a little following...

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
Every time I see a thread like this, and read the reactions, especially the negative ones, I think of this thread. And that was what people were saying after the product was revealed (but before anyone had tried one). Eventually that product developed a little following...

Don't forget this is what people do when it comes to apple: ridicule first, realize that apple has done something great, Google some obscure unsuccessful product and say apple just copies.

It's like clockwork.

doomfront

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
I see this device providing value in the health & Fitness space. Some use cases:

1) Connect Heart Rate Monitor - similar to that of a Polar Watch. Right now I need to drag along my iPhone when I use Digifit to connect my HRM. With iwatch this goes away.
2) Playing music while exercising. Again I could use my iPhone but because its bulky it makes it inconvenient.
3) Fitness activity/sleep tracking(Like the Nike or Fitbit Flex Bands)

All this without leaving the Apple ecosystem. For this reason only Im interested .

The absolute only reason for me if I do get one would be for something like this. I've been looking into getting a fuel band or one of those up bands but I think this would be a better option. And if you could play music through bluetooth headphones that would be great while working out and running.

Joesmith13245

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
The absolute only reason for me if I do get one would be for something like this. I've been looking into getting a fuel band or one of those up bands but I think this would be a better option. And if you could play music through bluetooth headphones that would be great while working out and running.

Yep. People have to realize this device is NOT going to replace an iPhone but instead compliment it. Apple is not going to risk cutting into their profits by introducing a device that providest same or similar functionality.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
You clearly don't understand the purpose of a smart watch. Try looking at the Sony version below and it will become clearer how the iWatch would work and why people would buy it:

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/accessories/smartwatch/

Website claims "Elegant wristwatch". Elegant it is not. I would have expected better from Sony.

----------

I wouldn't mind having a watch like this for dress.

I'm praying this is not a real product :eek:

Even the numerals on this watch I find just ugly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.