Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeepik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
well I made an executive decision and dumped the iphone and am back on the note 2 permanently. the biggest issue I think I deciding on a device having both.

When I hold my wife's iphone 5 it is definitely nice, and I love the exchange email integration still and sending pics is still awesome.

having the note is a learning experience. I think Android should use Nike's logo, "Just Do It".

I am relearning the ui experience being on the iphone. I like the phone, I like everything about it, I am copinng with horrible sms/mms integration and subpar email integration, hoping Google addresses this in the future, I know group mms is coming with 4.2 Jelly Bean.

so am back on the Note 2 and so far its doing good, hoping I don't find any other huge drawbacks.

BTW, one awesome plus to Android. I took all my music on iTunes from years and years, and put it on Google Music and its all in the cloud and on my computers, love love love this feature. With Apple you have to pay money for this.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
well I made an executive decision and dumped the iphone and am back on the note 2 permanently. the biggest issue I think I deciding on a device having both.

When I hold my wife's iphone 5 it is definitely nice, and I love the exchange email integration still and sending pics is still awesome.

having the note is a learning experience. I think Android should use Nike's logo, "Just Do It".

I am relearning the ui experience being on the iphone. I like the phone, I like everything about it, I am copinng with horrible sms/mms integration and subpar email integration, hoping Google addresses this in the future, I know group mms is coming with 4.2 Jelly Bean.

so am back on the Note 2 and so far its doing good, hoping I don't find any other huge drawbacks.

BTW, one awesome plus to Android. I took all my music on iTunes from years and years, and put it on Google Music and its all in the cloud and on my computers, love love love this feature. With Apple you have to pay money for this.

Similar experience here. Holding the iphone in hand feels great, but as an overall device the note 2 is phenomenal. I literally can do just about anything on this beast.

jeepik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
Post this on Android Central. Com and get some real help and honest opinions from the other side

Ive been following threads there for a long time...they have no answer to my issues other then get an app..pay for it..it might do the trick..but nothing concrete

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
Unless apple finds a way to really freshen up the OS and bring the screen size into note 2 territory, I'll be sticking with Samsung for my next phone as well.

kage65

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2013
My 2 biggest problems are as follows.

1. my exchange mailbox is very heavily rule driven and subfolder based. I have about 50 subfolders with Exchange automatically putting messages in those folders, IOS (finally in its current state) does terrific job of sending me a notification of a message regardless of what subfolder it arrives. on Android it is a royal mess. I cant view ll my unread messages in the notification window, it shows me subjects of them, and also doesnt show the correct ones.

2. this maybe Apple's fault of integrating imessage app so well. but i have a simple task. I want to take a video of my daughter and send a message to all my family members with that video. What's the point of the amazing screen or video camera on the note if this is useless?? I mean who cares about having a 150MB 30 second video on my phone if i cant share it with anyone. Yes i have dropbox and google +, but this is also i feel like an extra step.

Could not agree with you more. I'm in the same boat. Sms on the note 2 is a huge mess, that goes for default as well as go sms.

Email on the note 2 is ok but no where near as useful as on the iphone. Given that I use texting and email the most, the large screen of the note 2 is not a big enough perk.

lbros360

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
I first had the iphone 4s. Then I decided to buy a note 2. After a month, I could not see being on my contract for two more years with that thing. For the first time in history of purchasing phones, I decided to pay an ETF (Early termination fee). I gladly bought an iphone 5. Go for the iphone, you won't be happier!

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I first had the iphone 4s. Then I decided to buy a note 2. After a month, I could not see being on my contract for two more years with that thing. For the first time in history of purchasing phones, I decided to pay an ETF (Early termination fee). I gladly bought an iphone 5. Go for the iphone, you won't be happier!

Could you be more specific? What was it you didn't like?

lbros360

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
Could you be more specific? What was it you didn't like?

I did not like the size. I did play with it at the att store and I thought that the size was everything I dreamed off. After a month, the size of the phone made me go crazy. I had trouble holding it for long periods of time. The next thing was the apps. The quality of apps in my opinion were far much worse on Google play. On my 4s, I loved the CNN app. I couldn't find one on par of quality on Google play. Also, I am not much of a game person but I did love crazy taxi. On android, they didn't have crazy taxi. People kept awarding the note with its amazing battery but once I was on 4.1.2, the battery was complete awful. The lack of accessories for the note 2 was lacking in my opinion and the cheap feel of it was awful. It was too slippery and the plastic creaked every time I held the phone. Please understand that I am not bashing android in anyway. I still do have a nexus 7. But for the meantime, I don't see myself leaving ios.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I did not like the size. I did play with it at the att store and I thought that the size was everything I dreamed off. After a month, the size of the phone made me go crazy. I had trouble holding it for long periods of time. The next thing was the apps. The quality of apps in my opinion were far much worse on Google play. On my 4s, I loved the CNN app. I couldn't find one on par of quality on Google play. Also, I am not much of a game person but I did love crazy taxi. On android, they didn't have crazy taxi. People kept awarding the note with its amazing battery but once I was on 4.1.2, the battery was complete awful. The lack of accessories for the note 2 was lacking in my opinion and the cheap feel of it was awful. It was too slippery and the plastic creaked every time I held the phone. Please understand that I am not bashing android in anyway. I still do have a nexus 7. But for the meantime, I don't see myself leaving ios.

I think all of those complains are legitimate, but the battery? I think you are virtually alone on this one. I could not kill the note 2 battery in a day if I tried (obviously I could, but it's a monster).

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA

What did the ETF have to do with switching phones? You could have just sold the note 2 and bought an iphone 5 (or traded with someone)

navajarunner

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2009
I'll give you a good reason... You can do stuff like this.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1366649593083.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366649593083.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 99

jeepik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
For email try touchdown app

For sharing videos, theres many ways: dropbox, email, Facebook messenger, etc.

touchdown SUCKS..and i have a paid license for it

i dont use Facebook, and all i want to do is send my wife and my parents photos and videos of my daughter playing and smiling. on the iphone i can do it natively, on an android you can not do it natively.

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
touchdown SUCKS..and i have a paid license for it

i dont use Facebook, and all i want to do is send my wife and my parents photos and videos of my daughter playing and smiling. on the iphone i can do it natively, on an android you can not do it natively.

What sucks about touchdown?

And why can't you use email for that?

Take a photo and tap share, there's a whole list of things you can do with it..

jeepik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
What sucks about touchdown?

And why can't you use email for that?

Take a photo and tap share, there's a whole list of things you can do with it..

Because email is not instant, because it should work over sms/mms as it easily does on ios.. You have to download the images and videos on email...bla bla bla

Again all i am saying is ios does a really great job at this..i click on the photos and videos i want to send to a group of my contacts over mms, it compresses and sends them..my recipients can see the videos and photos right away and they are in great quality
Android can not do this..it just cant..not right now at least

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
Because email is not instant, because it should work over sms/mms as it easily does on ios.. You have to download the images and videos on email...bla bla bla

Again all i am saying is ios does a really great job at this..i click on the photos and videos i want to send to a group of my contacts over mms, it compresses and sends them..my recipients can see the videos and photos right away and they are in great quality

Facebook messenger is just as instant as imessage, and works on both android and iOS.

jeepik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
Facebook messenger is just as instant as imessage, and works on both android and iOS.

I have no interest in Facebook, nor should i be forced to use social media to share a video with my family

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

I'm in a group message with a friend who has a Note 2 and he's constantly annoying me with videos and pics.

Granted its not iMessage because he's in the group (the rest of us have iPhones) but its still works just fine.

Excuse the Game of thrones rambling but "Scott" is the guy with a Note 2. You can see its a group and not an iMessage because my comments green.

agasenu8.jpg

I'll ask him what app he's using but he gets the message in group form too.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I'm in a group message with a friend who has a Note 2 and he's constantly annoying me with videos and pics.

Granted its not iMessage because he's in the group (the rest of us have iPhones) but its still works just fine.

Excuse the Game of thrones rambling but "Scott" is the guy with a Note 2. You can see its a group and not an iMessage because my comments green.

I'll ask him what app he's using but he gets the message in group form too.

I have no app or anything and get group messages on my nexus 4 from people with iphones. I respond, and the messages go out to the group...

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I don't know about 2. But I have exchange and have a bunch of folders and subfolders. I just click on show all folders and it shows all of them just as if I'm on the desktop client.

I guess if on 2, clicking an extra button is too much of an extra task, then just go back to iPhone. You don't need us to defend or convince what phone to use. Every platform is going to have a pro/con vs another platform.

on the iphone 5 i can see the email with a 5 line preview on the lock screen. i don't have to unlock my phone to check important messages.

----------

I'll give you a good reason... You can do stuff like this.

so?

GoT is not even that good. at least no where near as good as the books.

some of us have better things to do than torrent all day and night

lbros360

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
What did the ETF have to do with switching phones? You could have just sold the note 2 and bought an iphone 5 (or traded with someone)

I just used my most recent upgrade for the note on att network. I had no return option left after a month later. The only option the att worker told me was to pay an ETF to buy a new phone. You are right, I could have traded with someone on the same network but I quickly wanted to get rid of my note.

----------

I think all of those complains are legitimate, but the battery? I think you are virtually alone on this one. I could not kill the note 2 battery in a day if I tried (obviously I could, but it's a monster).

The battery is still good. When I was on 4.1.1, I had never seen a phone battery be so amazing. I could last easily a day or more with about 7-8 hours of on screen time. When there was the update that addressed the security fix for the Exynos vulnerability bug, and other bugs, my os was now at 4.1.2. Myself and many other people experienced a significant battery drain of at least 15-20% more than usual. I still did manage to go about a day with about 5-6 hours of actual on screen time. That is still excellent but I guess I was too spoiled with the battery life on 4.1.1:) Anyways, my iPhone's battery is pretty much no where near on what I was averaging with the note 2 but I did buy a mophie extended battery case so its all good:)

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

You should be having no issues with sending videos in a group message on the note 2. I have it and never had that issue. What version of android are you running? I send videos and pictures all the time to multiple people. Let me know if you need help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.