Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
I'm in need of a new email address, and would like to go with Apple instead of Gmail. How can I do this?

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
I wouldn't expect you mean iCloud, because you're smarter than that... so what do you mean? @apple.com?

If you mean apple.com, 'tis impossible. It'd just be for eye-candy anyway.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
Do you mean like "someone@apple.com" ?

If so work for Apple.

No, I mean like their MobileMe/iCloud email. I'm not too 'with it' in regards to what's going on in iCloud/MobileMe. It seems there is nowhere to register for an email with them at the moment. I mean the @mac.com or @me.com emails. Or if there is a newer one, that one. I'm just looking for an alternative to Gmail.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Oh, well yeah silly-goose. Gotta wait for iCloud to be released. Check your PMs in a minute though.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
I wouldn't expect you mean iCloud, because you're smarter than that... so what do you mean? @apple.com?

If you mean apple.com, 'tis impossible. It'd just be for eye-candy anyway.

No, it's not that I'm dumb, I just am not exactly sure what's going on in regards to the availability of an @me email address considering they are in the middle of transitioning from MobileMe to iCloud.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
No, I mean like their MobileMe/iCloud email. I'm not too 'with it' in regards to what's going on in iCloud/MobileMe. It seems there is nowhere to register for an email. I mean the @mac.com or @me.com emails. Or if there is a newer one, that one. I'm just looking for an alternative to Gmail.

The @mac.com addresses are now unavailable but you'll be able to register for a @me.com address when iCloud launches.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
You likely won't have to wait much past the October 4th event, if not the same day.

jW

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
so once I get iOS5 on my phone I follow this process to get a free email.

what I want to know is on this page:
image-1.png

what happens in way of "this email is taken" do you just type a name in and click 'next' and that's it and if it was available you have no chance of changing it anymore, or do you get to try out a couple and see if they are free or taken?

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
So when is iCloud email actually available?

Wednesday to those who have iOS5 or OS X Lion, on that day you will be able to create an apple ID in the form of a free @me.com email.

if you already have an apple ID than that isn't the best way to do it as it's best to only have one apple ID so it doesn't get complicated, in that case you sign into iCloud with your old apple ID and then turn on 'Mail' under its settings (as in the link I posted above)

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
Wednesday to those who have iOS5 or OS X Lion, on that day you will be able to create an apple ID in the form of a free @me.com email.

if you already have an apple ID than that isn't the best way to do it as it's best to only have one apple ID so it doesn't get complicated, in that case you sign into iCloud with your old apple ID and then turn on 'Mail' under its settings (as in the link I posted above)

Yeah, I don't want an Apple ID, in fact, I want to change my current Apple ID to the new @me email address.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
Yeah, I don't want an Apple ID, in fact, I want to change my current Apple ID to the new @me email address.

you have no option if you want a @me.com address you have to either make a new apple ID or use the apple ID you already have, take into account this:

if you have used the one you already have for apps, music, books ect, then you will definitely want to just use that apple ID to get the @me.com email address, you should then be able to set the new @me.com email as primary and delete your other email from the apple ID.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
you have no option if you want a @me.com address you have to either make a new apple ID or use the apple ID you already have, take into account this:

if you have used the one you already have for apps, music, books ect, then you will definitely want to just use that apple ID to get the @me.com email address, you should then be able to set the new @me.com email as primary and delete your other email from the apple ID.

Cool, thanks. I said in another thread that all this account-based stuff sours my experience with Apple products. But the positives of Apple far outweigh the negatives.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Is it possible to keep my old @mac.com email? Or will they force me to use @me.com?

soccer11

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2013
concerned with apple id

Do you mean like "someone@apple.com" ?

If so work for Apple.

Hi I have an apple id someone@apple.com and I've never worked for apple. but this is giving me issues at the moment bc I want to start using icloud and it sends a confirmation email to that email. Do you know where to check that email?? I tried changing it to a regular email, but i can't either.

Sonnestah

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2013
Hi I have an apple id someone@apple.com and I've never worked for apple. but this is giving me issues at the moment bc I want to start using icloud and it sends a confirmation email to that email. Do you know where to check that email?? I tried changing it to a regular email, but i can't either.

wait.. what?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.