Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
The least Apple could do is to up the capacity to 240GB as several modders have done with the Toshiba drive available on eBay.

Exactly, it wouldn't really kill them to go it would it? I'm not interested in it being and online device, just keep making it with a bigger capacity please!

Mdwall

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
I traded in my 32 gig touch today and walked out without making a decision. I have grown accustomed to the abilities of a touch but with the ipad it's reall become rather superfolous. Meaning that all it really got used for was music when I travel. Capacity was getting strained even down converting files and I have a hard time swallowing 400 bucks for the 64 gig touch when there is the classic sitting out there with over double the space for what I use it for.

Now if they had a classic that could wirelessly sync with iTunes and iCloud, and had an SSD the touch would be irrelevant entirely to me at least and there would be no decision process. Even if I get a classic now were such a beast to arrive I would pick it up anyways. The click wheel is just easier to navigate on the fly vs. the touch.

Edit, not to mention the new lightning connector making my collection of 30 pin cables and radio rather useless without tacking on another 30-40 dollars for an adapter cable....

Snorkel378

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2013
I've been using a Classic as my only iPod, that being said, I do have an iPhone, but I use it as only a smartphone, with very little iPod functionality. Mostly use apps, and will sometimes use it as an airplay remote from my mbp in my dorm. A an updated Classic, with 200+gb hard disk drive (flash is too expensive) retina display screen and lighting connector...I'd go for it if it was 400 usd or less

Mdwall

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
So I ended up back in Classic land today. Found an unopened 160 gig a guy had won as a prize for a poker game and he decided he didn't want it. So he sold it for 160.00 still shrink wrapped and everything.
So far I'm loving it far more than the Touch. It synced 4000 songs in about 20 minutes vs. a fair amount of time more to sync that to a touch Possibly due to no need to downconvert them so they would fit but either way its sweet and good to be back to a music only player :cool: Please don't kill this thing Apple

dmoss111

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2013
Its all about all the music in one place

Oh how I wish Apple execs would read this...

I am not a mac evangelist, or even a mac lover. BUT, there is nothing I love more than my iPod Classic. I have many iPods! 40gb, 60gb, 160gb and my recent purchase that I am happy to get, a modded 240gb classic. Its full already and want more capacity still. All my iPods have uses and I wish they would build a 320Gb version because I would like one!

the very simple reason... I want all my music at my fingertips all the time.

The people who say things like... "who can listen to it all?" and "there is this streaming service and that extra functionality in the touch", They just do not understand. Basically, There are other devices like any smart phone for more functionality which most techie types already have as well.

I am busy. I love collecting lots of music. The last thing I have time for, is deciding what I want to sync to my iPod. I just want it all there to chose and play at will. Or what my wife wants to hear, or my 8-year old daughter or anyone at a party. Its awesome and I don't want more from it except to play music.

If you want thin and sleek, buy a touch. If you want features, use your smart phone. The iPod classic is special and there ARE many who want it.

I wish they would build a new and bigger one.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
I bought my first iPod classic today finally I can have all my songs in my pocket.

I almost achieved this a few years ago with a 64gb touch.

not sure what to do about my phone anymore. is there a resale market for an iPhone 4

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Look at your signature, and ask that again. Seriously you rudely pass off "noobs" yet you don't know if there's a resale market for the iPhone 4?

I'm not going to answer you just because of how rude your sig is.

Glad to see my signature moved you that much.

~~Hello~~

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
I don't see how my signature is harmful in any way. Could we please just stick to the topic.

You went off on a tangent about the iphone 4, this is the ipod section.

Anyway I would like to buy an updated classic. Surely it can't be that difficult for Apple to bring out a new higher capacity classic. Four years is a long time to go without an update.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
An updated classic will probably just be an iPod touch with 128 or 256gb capacity.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
What good is an ipod touch when you have an iphone? People want the simplicity of the ipod classic with a higher hdd capacity.

not everyone own an iPhone also it's easier to search for specific albums or artists on a screen.

I'd also like to see support for the remote on the earpods.

hughjackman

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2013
It shows some values indeed of ipod classic and also it creates some advantages in the making of different Ipods so that it remains the update in the various ideas admit the way about the update.

rs1985

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
i think adding a bluetooth feature and upgrading it's hard drive size is good enough for me to shell out 300 bucks
Seriously with cars/head unit/bluetooth devices
you figure apple be smart enough to add it in and mark it up
(not like bluetooth is anything too expensive to add in)

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Unfortunately - me too. Every year at the music keynote I wait to see it go from the store. But somehow it is still there. Once that happens I buy a last one from Amazon....

May aswell buy one now before prices skyrocket.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
When my current iPod dies (a 16GB gen4 nano), I will buy a medium condition iPod Mini gen2 on ebay, and mod it with CompactFlash.

There are a few reports that it takes a 64GB CompactFlash easily, and one report that I can find of it taking a 128GB CompactFlash, though I can't corroborate it. If I bought the flash card from a place with a good return policy, it wouldn't be much of a risk to try.

All in all, the project would cost ~$150. All other options considered, that price for a 128GB iPod Mini is pretty sweet, and would amply carry my entire music collection twice over.

I mention this because I find it unlikely that Apple will update their iPod classic anytime soon. iPod makes up only 2% of Apple's revenue today, that category includes the Shuffle, the Nano, the Touch, and the Classic. I would be surprised if the Classic made up as much as .25% of Apple's revenue.

Ray J

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2013
It will be a true shame if Apple discontinues it. It was Apple's premier product, still the most iconic Ive design, and the lure that brought droves of Gen Xers to Apple. Update it. Slap a 240GB HDD in there, lightening connector, bigger cache, new battery tech, whatever. Even if you make break even on it, sell it. It's a part of music history and it's unfair that Apple has let it fall by the wayside.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I have a silly question. Are ipod classics still being manufactured? I have a sneaking suspicion that Apple stopped making them a few years ago and is sitting on a huge stock due to downturn in sales from iphones and then ipod touches - nanos and shuffles have their niche as well and maybe took sales away. So Apple is slowing selling off the remaining stock til it is gone and then will discontinue it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.