Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anarchopath

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
I just got the retina 15"

The bottom 1/4" - 1/2" doesn't track movement if I start in that region (although it clicks fine). It will track movement if I start anywhere else on the pad and move to that area.

Is this a feature or is my trackpad broken?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

The bottom 1/4" - 1/2" doesn't track movement if I start in that region (although it clicks fine). It will track movement if I start anywhere else on the pad and move to that area.

Hadn't noticed before but it's the same on my 13" MBP.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma

Learned something new today - Thanks!

chrise2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Mine too. I have the 13" Retina. We're probably just holding it wrong. Trackpad-gate!

anarchopath

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
UPDATE:

Just tested the trackpads on various airs and pros in our office (probably none of them are the newest models). They all do this. Must be a "feature", or some major oversight.

Maggot FF

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Oslo, Norway
I'm guessing it's a feature, as that is an area where you'll likely keep your index finger while your middle finger does the rest of the work (pun... kind of intended).

SupadudeX

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2006
Its so you can rest your thumb at the base to click and use your index/middle finger to move the pointer. In the same manner that you could with older trackpads with an actual button.

Seriously, its the best way to use the trackpad. Great feature.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I don't have this "feature" you have. Perhaps it's an option I have disabled?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
On my trackpad, there is a narrow rim (around 3mm) which does not track. Other than that, it works fine. It certainly does not have this 'feature' you describe.

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
This is just a hunch but I suspect it to be a feature. Most people mouse click from the bottom of the pad. This lets you click without making the mouse move, possibly preventing clicking on the wrong item. The area still functions as a track pad though because if you start moving the cursor from the upper part of the pad and then come down to the bottom 1/2 inch, it moves just fine.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
This gives me an idea.

I bought my cMBP used and they use the trackpad with dirty/greasy fingers - cannot get it clean!

Maybe I can get it replaced! I am going to setup a genius appointment.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Same here. I believe it's for clicking purposes since the button is there. Also, allows you to use more than 1 finger like most people.

JorgeLomeli

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
Monterrey, MEXICO
Do anyone know some Terminal command or "hack" to disable this "feature"?

I used Photoshop a lot an i really need the WHOLE area space on my trackpad.... and this small area in the bottom part not responding is a BIG disadvantage to me. :(

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Do anyone know some Terminal command or "hack" to disable this "feature"?

I used Photoshop a lot an i really need the WHOLE area space on my trackpad.... and this small area in the bottom part not responding is a BIG disadvantage to me. :(

I dont think this has anything to do with a program but rather the hardware itself.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
It's a feature. It allows you to click without moving the cursor, which is desired sometimes.

How do I know that it's a feature? Because every Mac trackpad behaves like that.

Pianoblack3

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
Scotland
It's a feature. It allows you to click without moving the cursor, which is desired sometimes.

How do I know that it's a feature? Because every Mac trackpad behaves like that.

Funny how mine doesn't then. UK, 15" i7 2.2GHz 2011 model, if you're interested.

If i'm being honest it sounds more of a pain to have half your trackpad disabled to 'tracking' as such, wonder if it's region specific, but definitely not a consistent thing.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Funny how mine doesn't then. UK, 15" i7 2.2GHz 2011 model, if you're interested.

If i'm being honest it sounds more of a pain to have half your trackpad disabled to 'tracking' as such, wonder if it's region specific, but definitely not a consistent thing.

Maybe your fingers are too thick ;)

Ok seriously, I think the OP did exaggerate a bit by saying that it's 1/4'' - 1/2'' that is not tracking. It's a few mm from the bottom... maybe it also depends on the conductivity of your fingers, who knows. Maybe you are right and it is a regional thing. Or maybe there are some manufacturing issues and the "click" zone is larger or smaller on some machines.

Next time at the Apple store, I will try all 50 machines!

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
My Mac has this. The ones who are saying it doesn't are doing it too high up. Right in the middle at the very bottom it doesn't move. I tested it on 3 computers.

It might only be newer ones. You basically have to have half your finger on the metal because it's just a small bit.

Probably just the hardware not detecting it, I doubt it's a feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.