Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Let's see

S.V.P. of Software Engineering Bertrand Serlet, gone (2009 but officially 2011) primarily responsible for the release of Mac OS X Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard. Board of Directors for Parallels, Inc.

S.V.P. of Software Engineering - empty since Serlet's (official) departure in 2011

S.V.P. of Software Engineering Craig Federighi, responsible for 10.7 and 10.8, 2011+

S.V.P. of Retail Ron Johnson, gone (2000 - 2011), became CEO for JCP, recently fired from said position.

S.V.P. of Retail John Browett, April - October 2012, fired.

No current S.V.P. of Retail, position filled by CEO Tim Cook

S.V.P. of User Interfaces Began at NeXT in 1992, then Apple after acquisition in 1997. Promoted to S.V.P. in Jan, 2003. Headed OS X Aqua interface, then head of iOS development. Fired on Oct, 2012 alongside S.V.P. John Browett, due to rumored conflicts with other Apple departments.

Jonny Ive is acting S.V.P. for Design Interfaces since Forstall's departure.

V.P. of iPod Engineering Tony Fadell Feb 2001-Nov 2008, founded Nest Labs and "Nest" thermostat

V.P. of iPod Engineering Mark Papermaster vetted in 2007, hired in 2008. Bob Mansfield expressed disdain for Papermaster to then CEO Steve Jobs. Left Apple in August, 2010 in the wake of the iPhone 4 antenna troubles, however it was later reported he left due to "broader cultural incompatibility" and a loss of confidence from then CEO Steve Jobs.

S.V.P. of Hardware Engineering Bob Mansfield, announced retirement on June 8th, 2012. Subsequently returned on August 27th, 2012 under Tim Cook, with reports indicating Scott Forstall's departure played a key role.

Director of Software then iOS Richard Williamson, 2002 - Nov, 2012, fired by Eddie Cue reportedly due to iOS 6's [failed] maps app, now with Facebook.

V.P. of Mobile Advertising Andy Miller, 2010 - 2011, reported directly to then CEO Steve Jobs.

Chief Microprocessing Architect Jim Keller 2008-2012, currently Corp. V.P. and Chief Architect for CPU Cores at AMD

C.T.O. of Graphics Raja Koduri, 2009-2013, returned to AMD

In recent years Apple has seen many executives and department heads come and go, some with no replacements.

What is going on???

Kudos for an excellent post.

As much as it seems to frighten the faithful as proven by all the defensive posts, there is a churn that continues at Apple. As compared to last year, they've stagnated. While there's been lots of talk & rumors of new products nothing's come of thus far.

With the relative shake up of product release cycles, that's added to the uncertainty & only made more people familiar with Apples practices, question what's going on.

In the mean time there's been both rumors, talk, and more importantly _action_ on the Android side which has made Apple look old, slow, and stodgy.

leo.andres.21

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
Centre of the Attention
This is bad news. Execs leaving only means they know something is going wrong or bad at Apple and needed to jump ship early, otherwise they'd be part of a failed company and who'd want them then.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
This is bad news. Execs leaving only means they know something is going wrong or bad at Apple and needed to jump ship early, otherwise they'd be part of a failed company and who'd want them then.

Hardly.

Senior managers leave mostly for opportunity.

Top executives at successful companies are heavily recruited. Success with one company leads potential employers to believe they will bring practices, process, methodologies and key people with them.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Hardly.

Senior managers leave mostly for opportunity.

Top executives at successful companies are heavily recruited. Success with one company leads potential employers to believe they will bring practices, process, methodologies and key people with them.

While it's true that executive moves at top-level companies are commonplace and are usually motivated by the needs of the employee and the company hiring them, Apple is under the microscope now. Any such moves are bound to be seen in the light of some people's perception that Apple is struggling, which has clearly affected its share price.

Tim Cook refers to great products in the pipeline, but as an AAPL stockholder I'd like to see the proof. Will the iPhone 5S (or whatever it's called) spark new enthusiasm for the platform? Will the rumored iWatch shake up the marketplace?

Newton70

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
Why does today's stock price matter? If you're a long term investor and have faith (which you should) in the companies you invest?

That's just it, some long time investors (like myself) are concerned why the cratering of Apple's shares over the past seven months or so has only been met with a dumb, muted silence from Apple management. I'm still faithful but have to admit some of that faith has been shaken. The erasure of close to $300,000,000,000 in market cap is truly unprecedented.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
That's just it, some long time investors (like myself) are concerned why the cratering of Apple's shares over the past seven months or so has only been met with a dumb, muted silence from Apple management. I'm still faithful but have to admit some of that faith has been shaken. The erasure of close to $300,000,000,000 in market cap is truly unprecedented.

Silence is part of their success formula. Also time is needed to create and perfect new products. They should have learned that announcing a load of products all at once is not a good strategy. I guess they want to have them released in time for the holiday season. But expect new product announcements in bulk again this year. Maybe with one new category of products altogether.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Let's see

S.V.P. of Software Engineering Bertrand Serlet, gone (2009 but officially 2011) primarily responsible for the release of Mac OS X Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard. Board of Directors for Parallels, Inc.

S.V.P. of Software Engineering - empty since Serlet's (official) departure in 2011

S.V.P. of Software Engineering Craig Federighi, responsible for 10.7 and 10.8, 2011+

S.V.P. of Retail Ron Johnson, gone (2000 - 2011), became CEO for JCP, recently fired from said position.

S.V.P. of Retail John Browett, April - October 2012, fired.

No current S.V.P. of Retail, position filled by CEO Tim Cook

S.V.P. of User Interfaces Began at NeXT in 1992, then Apple after acquisition in 1997. Promoted to S.V.P. in Jan, 2003. Headed OS X Aqua interface, then head of iOS development. Fired on Oct, 2012 alongside S.V.P. John Browett, due to rumored conflicts with other Apple departments.

Jonny Ive is acting S.V.P. for Design Interfaces since Forstall's departure.

V.P. of iPod Engineering Tony Fadell Feb 2001-Nov 2008, founded Nest Labs and "Nest" thermostat

V.P. of iPod Engineering Mark Papermaster vetted in 2007, hired in 2008. Bob Mansfield expressed disdain for Papermaster to then CEO Steve Jobs. Left Apple in August, 2010 in the wake of the iPhone 4 antenna troubles, however it was later reported he left due to "broader cultural incompatibility" and a loss of confidence from then CEO Steve Jobs.

S.V.P. of Hardware Engineering Bob Mansfield, announced retirement on June 8th, 2012. Subsequently returned on August 27th, 2012 under Tim Cook, with reports indicating Scott Forstall's departure played a key role.

Director of Software then iOS Richard Williamson, 2002 - Nov, 2012, fired by Eddie Cue reportedly due to iOS 6's [failed] maps app, now with Facebook.

V.P. of Mobile Advertising Andy Miller, 2010 - 2011, reported directly to then CEO Steve Jobs.

Chief Microprocessing Architect Jim Keller 2008-2012, currently Corp. V.P. and Chief Architect for CPU Cores at AMD

C.T.O. of Graphics Raja Koduri, 2009-2013, returned to AMD

In recent years Apple has seen many executives and department heads come and go, some with no replacements.

What is going on???

Bertrand had been working for NeXT/Apple at nearly 20 years of service and wanted a break.

Federighi has taken over his duties.

Senior VP of Retail will most likely be revealed at WWDC

SVP Scott Forstall was never a UI guy at NeXT. He worked in AppKit along-side Ali Ozer under the leadership of Peter Graffanino. Scott worked his way into the iOS chief because his squad won out on solution, and his leadership on AppKit warranted a position bump.

Richard Williamson was a non-visible manager at Apple relative to the public. Two dozen other folks can do his job. No offense to Richard.

Papermaster was temporary from day one. He wanted a higher position of authority and didn't warrant it so he left.

Andy Miller was an acquisition merger position, required to stay for a year before leaving. He was waiting for the clock to tick down now that his start up was bought by Apple. He worked on the transition of tech to the Apple ecosystem, then left.

Jim Keller arrived from ATi after AMD bought ATi, saw an opportunity to work in SoC tech and now was hired back at AMD to oversee the handling of AMD big GPGPU and ARM system designs in their ecosystem. Same goes for Raja.

This is all typical of Silicon Valley. The yearly turnover rate at the major players is 30%+.

Loyalty is to who offers the biggest fluff story, salary and stock options. Those that stick around and are loyal tend to be the pioneers who see the greatest payouts, over time.

Macintosh-HD

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2012
Knoxville, TN
You better watch AMD... Back during 2003-2006 they were tiptop as far as chip performance. That was of course when Intel got on a run away train with the NetBurst Pentium 4's and D's, trying to push them as fast as they would go. But hey, you'll never know, AMD may be plotting a comeback...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Why is this bad news? This guy wasn't some senior executive. I'm sure VPs come and go at other companies all the time but because they're not named Apple and therefore wouldn't generate site clicks nobody cares.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Who are all these "lots of people" and is it any more than other tech companies?

I doubt it. We only hear of news of Apple execs leaving... because Apple is the largest tech company by valuation.

I read on Reuters News that a gazillion execs already bailed out of dying struggling crippled about-to-be-raped-by-Carl-Icahn DELL. But we don't really hear about DELL execs leaving do we? That's because this is MacRumors, so no one gives a hoot about DELL news. But naturally since this is MacRumors, we will hear about every single Apple exec who departs, regardless of how significant their post was at Apple.

And we'll also be the first to learn late-breaking news if Steve Wozniak finally wins the season finale of Dancing with the Stars. Sad but true. :D

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
What's going on? Lots of people are leaving all of a sudden? :(

I'm wondering if this is the result of giving Ive more authority. From what I understand, Ive, like Jobs, is a tightly-wound pain in the ass. While the company desperately needs one, that would be better for the consumer than the employees.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Also, I've heard from some people that would know that it's pretty bad internally.

My friend left Apple last month due to management issues, a few other friends left last year due to the same issues. I don't know too much about the internals of Apple in the US but in the UK Apple is a terrible company to work for. Senior Apple UK employees are clowns.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm wondering if this is the result of giving Ive more authority. From what I understand, Ive, like Jobs, is a tightly-wound pain in the ass. While the company desperately needs one, that would be better for the consumer than the employees.

http://www.quora.com/Apple-Inc-2/What-is-Jonathan-Ive-like-in-person

----------

My friend left Apple last month due to management issues, a few other friends left last year due to the same issues. I don't know too much about the internals of Apple in the US but in the UK Apple is a terrible company to work for. Senior Apple UK employees are clowns.

Are these corporate employees or retail?

jmerchlinsky

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
Washington DC
Getting out of the A series chip business

What this looks like to me is that Apple is getting out of the chip business. A natural progression is for the ARm processor to be integrated into the radio chipset. That means lower cost and power compared to today's iPhone where you have both a Qualcomm radio and A series IC. The story has already been floated that the rumored lower cost iPhone wil use an integrated solution, and it is only a matter of time that it happens on the high-end model as well. The only reason not to do this is if Apple had some secret special sauce from PASemi or special graphics needs. Even then Apple can work closely with Qualcomm to incorporate these or to make an Apple specific chip. One thing Apple doesn't have is the radio capability, so the future is a Qualcomm chip with an ARM in it, not an A series chip with a radio in it.

Atlantico

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
BCN
Adding to this. Bertrand left because the desktop OS as we know it has matured to the point where there's very few left to be done with it. Mobile and Cloud/Virtual computing is where its at now and will be for the foreseeable future.

People making a mountain out of a molehill.

LOL

if that was his attitude then good riddance! :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.