Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Hi,

I have the new Newertech RAID system and want to format it as JBOD. Spoke to OWC tech and she said this was possible but sent me wrong manual that would show how this is done. Has anyone tried this? Please let me know. I had a disk failure with the Guardian and want to run drives JBOD.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
Hi,

I have the new Newertech RAID system and want to format it as JBOD. Spoke to OWC tech and she said this was possible but sent me wrong manual that would show how this is done. Has anyone tried this? Please let me know. I had a disk failure with the Guardian and want to run drives JBOD.

I have the guardian maximus dual raid that I bought in the factory mirrored format but have since run it as raid 0. in running it as raid 0 i ran tests on JBOD and it worked. I think it depends if your model has the jumper switch inside. Mine does. I beleive some models were produced without the jumpers (as it was always pre-configured as mirrored). There is also a sticker inside mine showing how the jumpers (switches) go to get raid 1, 0, JBOD etc.

You can download the manual from their website. Check out the OWC Mercury Elite Dual Pro (as it is similar to the GMAX) as it shows how to set the jumpers.

I suggest running some test on two spare drives to confirm Raid 0,1, JBOD etc first before you do anything to your drive with data on it.

I run two 4TB barracudas in RAID 0 and get 215 MB/s read and write. It's much faster than when it is running in mirrored.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.