Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Case company Tactus, which last week shared a photo of what was claimed to be the polycarbonate rear shell of Apple's rumored lower-cost iPhone, has now posted a new photo allegedly showing the inside of the fifth-generation iPad's rear shell.

ipad_5_rear_shell_inside.jpg

The photo is of fairly low resolution, but is consistent with the first photos of the shell that leaked in late January. At a minimum, the photo indicates that these parts are continuing to surface from the supply chain some three months after their initial appearance, although there has yet to be any firm indication on when Apple is planning to launch the new full-size iPad that appears set to carry a slimmer design based on the iPad mini. The photo also shows for the first time the entirety of the rear shell's interior.

Most reports have indicated that the fifth-generation iPad will be launching around the September timeframe, although there have been sporadic reports that Apple could update its iPads any time now if the next-generation devices are ready.

On a separate note, Japanese parts shop Moumantai has posted [Google translation] a pair of photos showing what is said to be the nano-SIM tray from the iPhone 5S. with the trays reportedly identical in shape to those used on the iPhone 5. The report identifies the iPhone 5S trays as showing up in gray and bronze/gold colors, although it is possible that the photos may show somewhat inaccurate colors given expectations of slate and silver as seen on the iPhone 5.

iphone_5s_sim_tray.jpg

It is, however, difficult to place too much stock in these SIM tray photos, given that they are identical to the current design and that third-party versions in various colors are prevalent.

Alleged parts for the iPhone 5S have begun surfacing in recent weeks, although there has been some uncertainty about which parts might be for the iPhone 5S and which ones might be destined for Apple's rumored lower-cost iPhone.

Article Link: New Photos Show Inside of iPad 5 Rear Shell, iPhone 5S SIM Tray

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
But will it be called an iPad?

And what is the strongest evidence to prove that the iPhone would be called 5S?

Anyway 5S is a bad name because 5 and S look too similar.

They should call it "Favess"

melgross

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
New York City
What color?

All macrumors had to do was to neutralize the grey sim in Photoshop. It looks too warm. That would have removed a lot of the "gold" color from the other one.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
I don't get it. The iPhone 4, almost 3 years old, already had a 5 megapixel camera...

Why the hell do these leaks look like they've been taken with a Sony Ericsson T610? :confused:

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
well, one thing is for sure. This thing is WAY more prone to fingerprints than the current model...

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I don't get it. The iPhone 4, almost 3 years old, already had a 5 megapixel camera...

Why the hell do these leaks look like they've been taken with a Sony Ericsson T610? :confused:

The only reason I can think of are that these photos are taken secretly and quickly by someone who perhaps doesn't have time to take a quality shot.

Sounds silly, but getting a pic of a part for an upcoming Apple product is very lucrative for the person taking the pics I'm thinking.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006

Repeat after me. "Megapixels are not a measure of image quality." :D

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Repeat after me. "Megapixels are not a measure of image quality." :D
They are. I'll bet my life that an image of 1x1 pixel shows considerably less detail than a 2000x2000 image.

Wait, you mean megapixels alone are not conclusive? That's right, but they DO say something.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
It seems like the side bezel will be reduced to a minimum. Me like.

That's the rumor.

However there is no proof yet that these are real cases and the sources of those rumors were correct. Or they merely appear real because they were faked off the rumors. When case companies turn up as sources, or fresh new sources appear one has to take care in believing what they are seeing. Lets not forget the iPhone 4S that was rumored to be as thin as the iPod touch but wasn't

----------

Sounds silly, but getting a pic of a part for an upcoming Apple product is very lucrative for the person taking the pics I'm thinking.

So it BSing a fake part in photoshop and posting it on a site claiming a source gave you the information. Ad money from page hits adds up. As does potential sales of products after folks are lured to the site to check the original source. Which is why folks do this kind of thing and blogs like this post about it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.